Do mothers ALWAYS act so mean & jealous towards their son's girlfriends?!
Dating / 6:55 PM - Thursday July 16, 2009

My boyfriend & I are both 20 years old, we have been together for a year and a half.
His mom claims that she likes me a lot, but when it comes to her son she acts very mean towards me sometimes.
Here are some examples of her behavior:

-She complains that we spend "too much time together"
-She gets upset when he wants to hang out with me instead of her
-She makes fun of me because I cannot cook- sure I can make basic things like eggs, grilled cheese, pancakes, stuff like that. But I cannot cook an extravagant meal or anything and she makes some not so nice comments about it.
-She is very overweight (200 pounds) and I am very thin (115 pounds) She has had the nerve to ask me if I have an EATING DISORDER! I take offense to that bc I try to eat healthy & I work out 4 times a week. I think she is secretly jealous.
-When my boyfriend says sweet, nice things to me she is annoyed by this and complains about it. I believe her reason for this is she is jealous that we have a good relationship, bc she has had 2 very bad, abusive marriages and hasn't dated in years.
-One day, right in front of me she said to my boyfriend, "all you care about is yourself and your girlfriend. no one else"

I simply don't understand why she is like this, she has told me multiple times that she likes me..but I have also heard that mothers tend to get jealous when their sons grow up and have a new women in their life. Is this true?
What can I do??

You do nothing.

Your boyfriend needs to handle it-now.

His Mom is being very intrusive and disrespectful to you, and it's unacceptable. He needs to sit her down and give these examples and explain how it makes him feel. She is saying that he ONLY cares about you so that he'll feel guilty and won't address her comments. She's being manipulative and acting like a two year old.

Even if I didn't like the woman my son's were with (they are just little guys now), I would not give my opinion unless asked.

- Response by myndseye711, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Vladivostok, Celebrity

yes...yes they do!

"Who the hell does she think she is to come here and take my son away from me MY BABY! Im the one that was there for..."
blah blah blah...

they arent all like that but a good chunk of them do think that way. I know my mom-in-law did...oh boy we lived with her for like 2 months but anyways my now husband would always tell her to stop or to not say those things always defended me. You should talk to your boyfriend and tell him how you feel. I know I did and he always 'fixed' things. Besides it takes time 4yrs into my relationship im still dealing with some of it.

- Response by ltita426, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 29-35, Los Angeles, Home Maker

I'm sorry you have to deal with that. It's not right, but there's not much you can do except let your boyfriend know how you feel about it. Fortunately for me, my guy's mom loves me.

- Response by STGchick, A Thinker, Female, 22-25, Military

lmao no my boyfriends mother loves me but maybe she actually is mad cuz your taking her son away

- Response by ashleybby123, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, New York

This sounds exactly like the relationship that I have now! I am 26 years old and have been living with my single mom all of my life. My mom and I have a super close relationship and I have gone out of my way to spoil her during bdays, xmas and vacations which I would fully pay for my mom to go with me to Hawaii twice! My current girlfriend is actually my first serious girlfriend and my mom is not quite used to the idea of me dating. Everything that you have mentioned that your BF's mom says and thinks about you is the exact attitude that my mom has towards my GF. It's an on going battle to be honest. My GF expressed her hurt feelings to me and I sat down with my mom on numerous occassions to tell her that she is stepping out of line and needs to let me grow up. She thinks that she has lost a best friend or thinks that I don't need her anymore which is definitely NOT true at all! When I express my feelings to my mom about how she is treating my GF, it quickly turns into a fight and then an understanding that lasts maybe 3 days and then goes right back into the jealousy again. I will tell you that as the BF having to talk to the mom about the situation definitely is not easy since I love my mom very much and hate to see her upset or saddend, but then again I do not wish to be a slave to her for the rest of my life and nor should I be. It's time for me to grow up and become a man. Most guys my age have dated numerous girls by now, heck most are even married by now.....and with kids!! Most guys my age are living on their own and have lived on their own since 17 or 18 years old. Most guys my age would not even think about paying for their mom to go on a two week long vacation with them. I wish you lots of luck in your situation. Just stick in there and hang on! It's going to be a bumpy ride, no lie, but it's going to be worth it in the end, I promise!!

- Response by mahalo83, A Guy Critical, Male, 29-35, New York