What type of over the counter medication would help someone relax, yet still be able to think.
Diet & Health / 5:00 AM - Wednesday July 15, 2009

I have a big interview and I was think of using a sedative to help me relax, but I want something that is over the counter. What would be good? I was thinking like a Tylenol PM.

What is the problem . Mind over matter?. . NO ONE needs medication to help them relax. Deal with the anxiety and problem DO NOT rely on any medication to ease your problem. Deep breathing and a long walk is better than relying on medication for relaxation.
All relation drugs are mind altering.

My lady be careful of tylenol PM because it has dyphenhydromine in it( Benedryl) that can hang you over the next morning, make you feel groggy and tired I would try something else, go to your drug store and speak to the Pharmacist about over the counter drugs or sleep-Aids that will help you sleep and not hang you over the next morning.

- Response by ptawillis, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 56-65, Medical / Dental

I think this is a conversation you could have with your local phamarcy PH. If you are a naturally nervous person then I think the more you enguage with those feelings the quicker they will go.

I'd speak to the pharmist.

- Response by spadeace, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Who Cares?

I wouldn't take anything personally. What if you have a reaction? It's best to just try calming yourself down through relaxation techniques. Deep breathing, reassuring phrases, etc... Not that I'd do it or recommend it, but I'd honestly take a shot of liquor before I took anything over the counter. Lol. And that would be dumb, but really, there's no knowing if it will help. Better to just calm down, relax, go in and tell yourself you can do it, and then wait until safely in your car to freak out afterwards. Sorry, but I know someone who tried this and had an allergic reaction and it wasn't pretty. Actual visible hives and made her really hyper.

- Response by anabellesroses, A Hippie Chick, Female, 29-35

I heard that St john's wart is very calming.You can get it at the heath food store.Tylenol pm will put you to sleep.Take that when you get the job.

just breathe

- Response by movi, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Administrative

If it nerves and you need a good night sleep i would suggest just a regular over the counter sleep aide, just make sure you leave plenty of time between when you go to bed and when you have to wake up. Eveeryone reacts differently. The bonus of taking the over the counter drug is that it is less effective than a perscription such as ativan which is commonly used for people really wound up. Either way the best thing would be to speak to your pharmacist to make sure that your not allergic to anything first before taking something. Good luck tommorow hope it goes well :-)

- Response by melissabubble14, A Sportif, Female, 22-25, Edmonton, Medical / Dental