What would you do if your neighbor was covertly harassing you?
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 1:55 AM - Sunday July 12, 2009

I moved into a new apartment in May of this year. I had a situation involving the police here a week after I moved in -- spoke with the manager, he was fine, I apologized and told him it wouldn't happen again. Ever since then, the girl who lives upstairs from me has been spreading rumors and lies, for example saying that I'm really loud really late at night, that I'm disrupting her sleep, waking her up at all hours, etc and that she's going to tell the landlord. She even came by my window the other day and went through a boquet of flowers that I had out there thinking that "they might be for her" and that someone had mistakenly left them for me. I know all this because I overhear her when my windows are open and can hear everything she's talking about. She's disparaging me and ball-faced lying. Its unbelievable...what would you do to protect yourself from action on the landlord's part, or just lay low unless its brought up? Is it even worth it to write him a letter advising him of the situation, or maybe she's just all talk? She obviously doesn't like me and it may just be because of what happened when i moved in, but, I don't deserve the harassment as she has no basis for it.

- Asked by baleiaxsempre, A Thinker, Female, 36-45

Let your landlord know what is happening BEFORE she says anything to him.

what did happen when you moved in,? a noisy hous eweearming Eh.?

believe it or not I like to party and my neighbors never get home to late at night....here are your options: Ask if you can move to another building....or ASK if you can get out of your lease....or kick her ass.

I would definitely speak to the landlord concerning her "odd" behavior. You might ask if anyone else has ever been "singled" out. Is she on meds? LOL! It's a question worth asking, just be careful to ask it on a light note. When speaking to the landlord I would definitely try to word my inquiry as one that is more questioning than accusing. You don't want the tables turned and made to look like your just a complainer. So be careful and choose your words carefully. And as far as how to protect yourself? If you feel "physically" threatened then you can do the same thing I did. I went to a local pawn shop and bought a brand new 100,000 volt tazer. I have made a point to let everyone who knows me aware that I carry it and exactly how it works. And that if "physically" attacked all I have to do is touch them and count to 5 slowly. They won't even know thier own name much less where they are.... while I slowly decide what to do with their lifeless body. I may or may not be in a great big hurry to dial that 3 digit number that will "protect" me. LOL! Sitting on the front porch and just playing with one of those things is enough to intimidate anyone enough that she should get the message without you ever having to use it. You don't have to allow someone to intimidate you, but you do have to step up in order to stop it. If you expect anyone else, including the landlord, to make it stop then you will find out that it will only get worse. I have learned that when you don't show intimidation but instead accept the challenge of their "bullying" they either step up or run off. Not being "afraid" of untruths is a step towards mental maturity. If they aren't true words then don't give them power by repeating them or being overly concerned. By reacting to this person's intimidation you hand over your ability to think rationally and clearly and allow them to have control. I sincerely hope that you can see that you can regain your control and power over this situation by first not being afraid of mere words. And then by taking the initiative to stand up for yourself if "physically" threatened. This doesn't mean to yell or argue with this individual. It means to be prepared and make a plan of action to protect yourself. :)

- Response by txsewbunny101, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Student