How do you tell a person that loves you that you dont want to be with them anymore...
Dating / 8:22 PM - Wednesday July 08, 2009

how do you tell a person that loves you that you dont want to be with them anymore...

what do you tell the person that you have been with for 2 years that loves you with all their heart that you dont want to be with them any more and that you've lost all interest in the relationship....

- Asked by olivare, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

You tell them exactly how you feel.

Remember that you are doing it for them and for yourself...you would be better telling them that you can not be with them than staying with them...you will be stealing time with them that they could be giving to someone else. It's not fair to make them think you still love them and want to be with them when you don't. You have to just be honest.

- Response by fizzzzle, A Creative, Female, 26-28, Student

You tell them the hard truth and you do it in person.

- Response by birdland, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Who Cares?

Please don't tell a man in love with you that you have lost all interest in the relationship. It is a little too much to digest that way. Explain the differences, the reasons it just can't work, but do so gently.

I had to explain to someone that I would not marry him, but if I'd said I have lost all interest in the relationship it would have sounded like: You are a boring asshole I don't care about anymore.

You can be more kind than that. Stress some of the good about the relationship and about him, but end it with gently explaining why it cannot go any further.

- Response by mare65, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

With gentleness, love and honesty...

- Response by siouxzen, A Career Woman, Female, Who Cares?, Guadalajara, Self-Employed

You tell them the truth in as gentle, and honest a way as possible...as soon as possible.

- Response by A Married Girl, Female, 56-65, Artist / Musician / Writer

you sit them down and tell them Honestly that you dont love them anymore...and it's not fair for either of you to try and fake it... Good Luck

wow, thats intense. Well first I would make sure that breaking up is what I really want. Someone that has loved you that long might be hard to come by. You know? Maybe things seem dead now, but have you tried to re-stoke the fire..so to speak? After I tried EVERYTHING that I could to restore the relationship to what it (obviously) once was (you know, rediscover those buried feelings) I would just be very honest. Meet with them face to face, and tell them as calmly and as gently as you can that you still like them as a person, but you just aren't interested in being with them anymore. A clean break is best I think. If I were you, I would NOT offer to stay friends and if your lover suggests it, simply say that you don't think it would be a good idea. Once you break up with someone, especially someone you have been with for a long time, it is better if you wipe the slate completely clean. Your friendship will never be the same, and if you hang around with them, not only do you risk creating a whole new set of problems and feelings, but you also limit your chances of meeting someone new and starting a relationship with them. (No one likes to be in a relationship when they have a constant reminder of what came before hanging around.. you know?)

- Response by timidwanton, A Creative, Female, 22-25