Does 37 seem too old to join the military?
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 6:55 PM - Sunday July 05, 2009

I called a recruiter and says I still meet the age requiremets so it's not too late.

When my family (parents, aunts/uncles, siblings) found out I'm seriously considering joining the military, they were shocked and unsupportive. They say it'll be as if I'm giving up half my life to prison....plus, I'm too old. I'll only be surrounded by people 10-20 years younger.

Is 37 a bit unusual to go to the military?

- Asked by A Career Woman, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

As far as I know the Army will take you, the Marines have a cut off range of 28 unless you prevencely served..don't know about the airforce and navy...and no you are never too old as far as I am concerned...if that is what you want too do, then do it..I tried too join the Marines too go to Iraq, I am 61, they gave me a Tee Shirt and told me I was too old..I told them I could kick the entire Marines asses all at once...they still wouldn't let me join..chicken shits did want an old man showing them up.

- Response by phoenixbandit, A Guy Critical, Male, 66 or older, Columbus, Law Enforcement

DO EXACTLY AS YOU WANT.....its YOUR life.

You will have to successfully complete BASIC TRAINING.

If you can survive that....you will be accepted the same as any other candidate......regardle ss of age.

If you are in good health.....and have some level of healthy body physical conditioning......you should be able to get thru it.

BUT don't expect any favors due to your age.

- Response by nuttyprofessor, A Guy Critical, Male, 66 or older, Transportation

Sure it's unusual, but it shouldn't be a big deal. I don't know what branch you're going into, but I'm in the Navy - the cutoff age there is 42, but every branch is different. Don't worry about what your family thinks, My father was the most unsupportive bastard in the world when he found out I was joining the Navy, but that didn't stop me. It's your life, do what you want. It's not prison, and 4-6 years isn't half your life. If you have any questions about the military, send me a PM and I'll answer as best as I can.

- Response by STGchick, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Military

Do it!
I spent 6 years serving my country and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Yes, your age is very unusual to enter the military.

Secondly, are you at a point in your life where you'll accept discipline and being told what to do by others? Generally, at your age, people are pretty set in their ways and this could prove grueling. And the minimum enlistment is 4 years, so it wouldn't be like "giving up half your life". And your life as you know it now, won't remain. You'll be stationed elsewhere and not surrounded by family and friends. Are you open and ready for that? Also, be ready to be broke for awhile too.

Opinions in family members are like @ssholes...everyone's got one~~~~

Chart your own course in life...only You know how to fulfill it... :)))

- Response by lady4u, A Married Girl, Female, 56-65, Cincinnati, Who Cares?

It is YOUR decision!!! If you meet the age requirement then you can't be too old. Career military grow old ... so you will find many, many guys and gals your age.

- Response by nowornever, A Thinker, Female, 66 or older, Financial / Banking

It is a bit unusual, but who cares? if you want to do it then go for it

- Response by psychoticbabe1, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Other Profession

Absolutely not. My boyfriend just joined the Marine Corps. and he's 29. I think it's great. Sometimes people don't know until later in life that they've made the wrong career choice. Yes, it's unusual, but not as much as you think. Also, my friend's father went over to Iraq about two years ago to fight and he's about 55-60.

I say good for you and don't let unsupportive jerks get in the way! I'm sure they'll be thinking a little differently when you're all done and pretty much guaranteed an $80,000+ per year job for the rest of you're life.

- Response by sunshinehighway, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, New York, Medical / Dental

I was kinda wondering the same thing..I'm 33 now and in nursing school. I'll be 35 when I finish my nursing classes. I'm looking into the field of Flight Nursing, and thought the Military would be a great option for this. Plus, I would love the opportunity to contribute to helping in the desert. Thanks for the post...It answered some of my very own questions! What did you decide??

- Response by jennpns, A Thinker, Female, 36-45