Should you start dating other people eventhough you cant stop thinking about someone?
Dating / 3:53 PM - Friday July 03, 2009

I just got out of a relationship that I didnt want to end, but Ive started trying to date again but when Im out on the date I cant stop thing about my ex.So should I just stop dating people? cause all Im doing is thinking about him when Im out with other people.

- Asked by lovelyonly1, A Hip Hop Girl, Female, 29-35, Philadelphia, Student

NO! its time to STOP and greive the loss of the relationship. when you are FINALLY ready (able to go months without thinking about your ex) then rejoin the dating pool.

it would be best to take a waiting period when just off a relationship to reconnect with one's self and come to terms with the break up.
best of luck,
~S

- Response by angel325, A Life of the Party, Female, 22-25, Who Cares?

NO you should stop. Being with new people will eventually get your mind off of things and who knows who you might meet.

In my opinion, if you can't stop thinking of the ex, you will not be giving any other guy a fair chance. You do need to find a way to stop grieving, but give yourself time. The best thing you can do is spend time with your friends. Only you can determine when you're ready to start dating, but please do so only when you know the date will have your attention.

- Response by boudoirnovelties, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Consulting

I think that it may be too soon for you to date others. If you are constantly thinking about him and comparing others to him, it is too soon. You probably should take some time away from dating. I think you need time to get over the break up and to take time to get over the hurt of the breakup. It never hurts to also take time to reflect on what it was that led to the break up and to figure out what needs to be different in your next relationship. Try to figure out what you want and what qualities you want in a partner. Those are important things to know, in order to help you find what you want. All of this takes time to accomplish. A new relationship will happen but I think right now, it is just too soon. Good luck.

- Response by iamboo2, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Charlotte, Therapist

We've all expierenced what you're going through. All of us. What you're feeling isn't unique to you.

Ask yourself two questions:

1. Is your "someone" sitting around putting his life on hold because he just can't quit thinking about you?
2. What's the point of your constant thinking of him? How does that benefit you? How does that change anything?

Chances are he's NOT putting his life on hold and he's NOT sitting around thinking of you. And there's no point to constantly thinking of him unless you are intentionally trying to make yourself miserable. And why would you make yourself miserable over a guy who is too stupid to know a good thing (you) when he's got it?

You should date and look at dating as your way of keeping yourself occupied by guys who are smart enough to be attracted to you...and if they are smart enough to be attracted to you, maybe in return, you could give them your full attention while you're with them.

- Response by kiki812, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Atlanta, Artist / Musician / Writer