Why do some married men not wear their wedding rings
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 4:20 PM - Tuesday June 30, 2009

why do some married men not wear their wedding rings

I have observed some married men both old and young don't wear therr wedding rings.

I understand the young ones may want to appear not be married, but, older men I mean in their seventies with dedicated wives.

I need answers because it all just seems very worrying

what messages are these men trying to send?

Update: July 01, 2009.
Thanks everyone,your answers did go a long way.. every one did make a point about job hazard coupled with some health risks which i think are very good reasons. Silly me not to have thought of those...

- Asked by joyzee, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Student

Well my husband can't wear his wedding ring at work but will wear it when we go out, etc. There are many men who don't even own one because they are unable to wear it. Then there are men who complain it's uncomfortable, and lastly you have the men who don't want others to know he's married (slimy).

Are you married? Does he refuse to wear his ring, or are you saying that you don't know how to interview a man about whether he's married or not?

There are many reasons why some men don't wear their wedding bands. Some of those reasons might have something to do with their occupation. If he's in medicine, like a nurse, doctor, or paramedic type, the ring might get in the way of his work. Fire-fighters, plumbers, and cpnstruction workers also risk their lives by wearing their rings. So, you see it's an occupational hazard.

There's other reasons that some men don't wear their rings. But most have nothing to do with any particular message that they want or are trying to send.

I stopped wearing my ring after my wife and I discussed separating. She had said that she stopped wearing her ring when she didn't feel "married". After hearing that, I just put my ring safely in a drawer. We're fine now, but I just cannot wear it any longer.

- Response by rhunt0210, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Other Profession

I don't think it sends any "message" unless they're not wearing it in order to pick up women.

My father has got fatter, so the ring didn't fit him, so he just didn't bother fixing it.

- Response by selenne, An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35, Home Maker

It could be a hazard at thier job, my ex husband couldn't wear one to work for this reason, and many times he would come home and forget to put it on.

- Response by screambeams, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55, Other Profession

i dont wear mine because of the work i do. it would get ruined. i love my wife dearly. will never cheat. so your reasoning is wrong.

- Response by j3s5e, A Rebel, Male, 29-35, Los Angeles, Who Cares?

interesting, never thought of it. some guys who work w/ their hands say they dont wear rings to avoid getting their ring caught. as far as older married men, i cant imagine. as i know ladies that have been widowed for years and still wear their wedding rings. maybe women are just more sentimental?

- Response by dreamspinner, A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Chicago

They've put on weight and the rings don't fit any more or they have arthritis, swollen knuckles, etc..

Believe me.. men who have been married for more years than you've been alive, don't give a damn about sending any message to anyone.

Stop looking for paranoid conspiracy reasons.

Well me personally I can't wear jewelry while working in my job. I also dislike wearing any form of jewelry, I have chains, watches and other things that I won't wear because I just hate the feeling. I'm not trying to be sneaky or slimy I come straight home after work and don't leave my house without my wife. I also only have my cell phone so that my bosses can reach me in case of an emergency. I just hate the restricted feeling I get from jewelry. But for some older men I know that arthritis causes swelling or the limbs and joints causes extreme pain. So they take it off because they can't wear it anymore. Just because some men are cheaters doesn't mean we all are.

- Response by A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 26-28, Boston, Military

Most older men have the same point of view as my father. Men dont wear jewerly....

- Response by brezzyblue, A Life of the Party, Female, 46-55, Other Profession

There could be many reasons why a man doesn't wear his wedding ring. In my case it's because at work you could lose that finger if something catches the ring. After work my hands are swollen too much to get the ring on. My weight fluctuates a lot also making my finger too big for the ring. It's not worth getting the ring resized because I'll drop the weight and then it fits. I can't speak for anyone else but this is why I usually don't wear my wedding ring.

- Response by kegofed, A Couch Potato, Male, 56-65, Who Cares?

I used to not wear my ring alot when I first got married. It wasn't that I was trying to look not married but honestly The ring drove me nuts. I had never been a jewelery wearer so it took awhile to get used to wearing a ring all the time.
Back in the day My wife really got upset about it but now she doesn't wear hers a lot at work because she washed her hands so much.

- Response by usarmy24id, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 36-45, Celebrity

Some men just hate rings, they can be uncomfortable until you get use to them. My grandfather was a mechanic and he never wore his because it was a danger with all the moving parts, if it caught on something it could take his hand off. Don't be so quick to judge an think its about infidelity. The exchanging of wedding rings is a fairly new phenomenon for the general population, 1800s.

- Response by attorneydad, A Guy Critical, Male, 29-35, Lawyer

Hello!!! If a Man got married at the age of 18,and he is now
60 years of age. How much did little Billy finger grew in 42
years.

- Response by kingeric, A Hip Hop Guy, Male, 36-45, Technical