What does it mean when a guy uses your name several times when you talk on the phone?
Dating / 10:39 AM - Tuesday June 30, 2009

I was talking to my guy friend last night and he used my name most of the time. I felt like I always talking to someone much older than me. Like you know when your parents would use your name when you were in trouble.

- Asked by An Alternative Girl, Female, 26-28

Dang, did he say your first AND last name? Either he really like the sound of your name, or he was drunk. lolol

- Response by msheartbeat, A Trendsetter, Female, 46-55, San Francisco, Self-Employed

It's commonly known by anyone who has studied communication skills or sales or anything similar that using a person's name in conversation is important and makes the other person feel important and special.

On the other hand, I find that over-doing it can make a person feel like the one talking to them is either being creepy or condescending.

I think your friend was using what is generally called "too much of a good thing".

If you're comfortable doing it, confront him on it. If that seems too awkward, just start using his name repeatedly and see if he gets the hint...

- Response by fyf04, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, Chicago

I dont think it means anything specifically unless you just met him. If you just met him he is trying to remember your name but if it past that then that is just how some people speak. I had a girlfriend that did that all the time. I thought it was weird too at first then realized some people just do that.

- Response by kidcane, A Guy Critical, Male, 29-35, Tampa, Executive

I hate when someone uses my name repeatedly in conversation. I feel like they do it so they can remind themselves of who they are talking to!!! :)

- Response by cindylouwho, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

I use a persons name a lot when I am trying to remember it

un, don't question!! At least he remembers it.

- Response by nysbikergirl, An Alternative Girl, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

I like the person call me by my first name, it means they focus on me, it's more personal. Someday, I talked to a lot of people and my name hasn't come up even once in our conversation!. It would make me melt if my man call out my name all the time. My ex bf called me and he always said "hey, it's me" and he kept on and on without even cal my name just "you" and "I"

WTF!!, hello, I'm here dude!!

- Response by azianchemistry, A Player, Female, 46-55, San Francisco, Who Cares?

Maybe he's trying to remind himself of which one you are...

No, I think it's meant as a compliment, He's acknowledging you and your importance...

- Response by nicolegillenwater, A Thinker, Female, 36-45