Does the patch work to quit smoking?
Diet & Health / 12:55 AM - Saturday June 27, 2009

Does the patch work to quit smoking?

I have recently,(11 days ago), quit smoking using the nicotine patch. So far I have done well after smoking for 37 years. Tomorrow we have a wedding to go to and I am so nervous and worried about going. I am afraid that I will get weak and slip up like so many times before. Any successful stories and tips would be appreciated.

- Asked by cheryl322, A Cool Mom, Female, 56-65

We are born into this life with nothing. We die and take with us nothing but our emotions and whatever it is we have learned. Nothing more.

I have to believe that if that is true, then there is nothing in this life that is permanently mine. And any suffering of loss or perception of loss is really bogus.

After fifty years of smoking, six packs a day at the end, and many, many attempts at quitting, I was able to turn the corner, slam the door and see myself in silhouette as a non-smoker. And never again for a single moment suffered any withdrawal or desire to again smoke. That was April 10, 1995.

The only thoughts I can pass on to you that may help is to see the nicotine addiction as nothing more than the perception of loss when quitting. When in fact it is no possession of ours to begin with.

This is outside the box, but I just cannot think of anything else that ever worked. You have eleven good days in... this you can do, as long as you don't mind the perceived loss.

Work on it!! You CAN do it. rek

11 days???Good for you!!Just keep refering to yourself as a non-smoker!!!You can do it!Hang in there!

- Response by randolph, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 56-65, Artist / Musician / Writer

I have no personal experience with the patch, I don't smoke, but a friend died in 2001 from a heart attack...he used three or four of the patches at once and still smoked....so I think stopping is more will power than patches and drugs...good luck.

- Response by phoenixbandit, A Guy Critical, Male, 66 or older, Columbus, Law Enforcement

Everyone is different. Your experience will not be identical to anyone else's. This is the best advice I can give you about quitting smoking.

I thought I had quit for good. Quit for 6 years, never had a craving. Then, for some reason, I began having cravings again, and at first, was able to resist them. But it was as if they were getting stronger and stronger with each attempt to resist, and finally, I gave in.

I wish I hadn't but I found it impossible to resist.

My point is, this is YOUR journey. You must find a way to resist each and EVERY time you feel like having one. If it means you walk away from a coversation in mid-sentence, do it, just apologize later. If it means you don't do the same things you used to do, don't do them and explain to those who might not understand, why.

The patch is very useful. I quit with it when I did it for the 6 years.

The last time I quit, I tried the patch again, and it didn't work. I decided that time that I would simply stop smoking, and did it.

Take care of yourself and be kind to yourself. Do the best you can and congratulations on a great choice. I belive, however, it is a choice you have to continue to make, over and over again.

You might want to find a support group, if there are any in your area.

- Response by skaskiknee, A Trendsetter, Female, 66 or older, Who Cares?

Congratulations, the best decision for your life!! I quit 4 years ago, after smoking for 15 years and I haven't touched one since. Somehow, by the grace of God, I did it cold turkey, after trying a number of times. Let me tell you it gets easier, but for now, the more distance there is between you and a cigarette (even the smoke), the better.
Have a back-up plan for when you feel weak-how will you overcome the craving? Food-wise: I focused on strong flavors,low-calorie, such as citric, tangy, tart, spicy. Activities: anything that kept my hands busy, painting my nails, crafts, going places where I couldn't smoke. Approach this with a plan-never give up!

- Response by insandiego, Female, 36-45, Teaching

Keep a piece of gum in your mouth, or hold on to a pencil, sounds dumb, but it helped me out alot, been four months now for me quiting. And it's been tricky at times too. Good luck, you will make it, I did!

- Response by loseing, A Guy Critical, Male, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

I wouldn't advise the patch, because you are already done with any physical withdrawal. Now it's the mental part-which is alot harder I think. If you are having a couple drinks and want a cig you will end up taking off the patch and lighting up--if you are weak like me!! Just keep gum or candy in your mouth and keep reminding yourself that you don't NEED a cig, and that you are CHOOSING to not have one. Good luck and congrats on the 11 days.

- Response by makinit40, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55, Self-Employed

My s/o used to smoke for decades, and he read this book and by the time he finished, just 2 days- he was no longer a smoker.
It is well worth a $7.00 or less investment.
Please give it a try...
Good Luck.

THE EASY WAY TO STOP SMOKING: BY ALLEN CARR

http://www.theeasywayto stopsmoking.com/

http://www.amazon.com/ Easy-Way-Stop-Smoking-N on-Smokers/dp/140271861 6/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UT F8&s=books&qid=12308264 44&sr=8-1

- Response by momharleyxl, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55, Los Angeles, Self-Employed

The more you know, the easier it should be to quit. Education and will power is the answer. I found this program looking for something to help me quit smoking http://www.smokerslastc hance.com

<a href="http://www.quit- smoking-tools.com" title="Quit Smoking">Smokers Last Chance</a>

Has anyone tried it?

- Response by yannickbravo, A Creative, Male, 29-35

I know you've probably already been to this wedding, but for me, alcohol and smoking always went hand in hand. I would stick to non-alcoholic beverages until you're truly comfortable with being a non-smoker.

Also - (in response to another person's comments) don't ever use more than one patch at a time or smoke while using the patch. This is very dangerous and can lead to nicotine overdose.

If you follow the instructions precisely, the patch can help you quit smoking. Cold turkey is a great way to go, but it doesn't work for everyone. That doesn't mean some degree of will power isn't required when using the patch. You have to be willing buy the patch, use it every day, not buy or bum cigarettes, and really see that there is no acceptable reason to ever pick up a cigarette again. Addiction isn't just a physical reaction. It also involves an irrational emotional response involving a need to use something outside of yourself to change the way you are feeling (i.e., it's better to do something that will kill me than to feel something negative, or it's better to celebrate in a way that will kill me than to celebrate "alone.") Nicotine is no less of a drug than heroin. For 37 years you have taught your brain that nicotine is your go to solution for relaxation when dealing with stress or other feelings. You have been a slave to this mentality, but because of your addiction, you have been powerless to break the cycle...until now. By going on the patch you have made the conscious decision to regain control over your life. So the will power here is to re-program your brain. You can survive stress, anger, fear, boredom, sadness, happiness, etc., without having to light up a cigarette. The benefit of being on the patch is that it gives you the ability to realize all of this without having to go through it all at once. Good luck, and remember, you never have to smoke again.

- Response by A Trendsetter, Female, 36-45, Salt Lake City