Bug In My Pancake Mix!!!!!!!
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 11:23 AM - Thursday June 25, 2009

Bug In My Pancake Mix!!!!!!!

Okay! There was a little bug in the pancake mix. I saw it while I was mixing the water etc. I checked the bag before I used it and didn't see any but the little bastard got by me. I've only seen one and I pulled it out.

Do you think it's safe to eat still?

I don't know what kind of bug it was because I hate them! I kill first and ask questions later-like I'm doing now.

It looked like a little speck. It was oval shaped and brown. And about the size of a comma [,].

Am I going to wake up with an alien bursting through my stomach if I continue to make/eat this waffle?

Update: June 25, 2009.
I regret asking this question and NOW I don't feel so good. :"(

Update: June 25, 2009.
Well I ate all the batter before the question posted because I was hungry and tired of waiting and waiting and waiting. It was pretty good. I totally could have done without the visual Steve, but I can always count on you to paint a picture. LoL

- Asked by georgiagirl404, A Creative, Female, 22-25

LoL.. It's fine. You've probably eaten a few bugs at every cookout you've ever been to.

And.. FYI? FDA standards actually ALLOW a percentage of 'non food' contamination in processed foods.

Wheat products? Including cereals, breads, and other grains.. are very often hosts to microscopic insects.

Have you ever purchased a box of 'instant' oatmeal or grits.. only to forget about the box for months, and then open it, to find it full of meal worms? ICK. I have.

Kinda nasty to think about, but .. it's just the nature of foods.

In more cases than we realize, we're getting a little more protein than we planned for!

Toss it out, there's more in there. They are weevils. It's not uncommon to find them in boxed cake mixes, pancake mix and old bread mixes. Store your flour and such in airtight containers to avoid the bugs.

- Response by jessie2265, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Medical / Dental

What you my dear have is a weevil....and more than likely you have a bunch more in there.....those bastards can get into anything....they will get into anything that has or is made of of grains....flower....pan cake mix...cake mix....as soon as you open the box....if you have anything left over keep it in the fridge or use it up.....I have even seen them in unopened boxes of stuff.....

- Response by lab01, A Father Figure, Male, 46-55, St.Louis, Other Profession

Eat that missy!

- Response by chkdsskt, A Guy Critical, Male, 29-35, Administrative

Will you bring me some Pancakes? Please :(

- Response by mmmmbeer, A Rebel, Male, 26-28, Toronto, Who Cares?

It's possible. They did find a tree growing inside of some guys lungs.

- Response by jb81v3, A Jock, Male, 26-28, Toronto

I would've lost my appetite after that! I wouldn't eat them because I wouldn't want them anymore. Bugs squick me out.

You'd be grossed out if you actually knew how many bugs you eat and never realize you did. There are many societies in the world that want bugs in their food. Bugs are healthy to eat.

Cook your pancakes. The heat will kill any bacteria. And the extra protein will be good for you.

- Response by cosmicdog0, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65, Denver, Science / Engineering

I won't eat them. But next time you buy pancake mix, put it into a air tight plastic container and just cut out the mixing instructions and tape them on the container. That way you will not get the bugs showing up in the mix.

- Response by MaryAnne, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Regina, Managerial

Sounds like your pancake mix is infested with weevils! Well seeing as you have already eaten the pancake mix I would just watch for symptoms of illness. You will probably be OK, but if you do get sick then I would definately tell my Dr. about eating contaminated pancake mix.

Weevils:
Weevils are often found in dry foods including nuts and seeds, cereal and grain products. In the domestic setting, they are most likely to be observed when a bag of flour is opened. Their presence is often indicated by the granules of the infested item sticking together in strings, as if caught in a cobweb. If ingested, E. coli infection and other various diseases can be contracted from weevils, depending on their diet.

It's fine. You can even eat the weevil. They're crunchy and full of protein.

MMMmmm