If you believe in God, do you think if you pray for something enough, God will make it happen?
Race, Religion & Politics / 9:24 PM - Wednesday June 24, 2009

I've prayed for 2 years for something and I'm still waiting. Even when I don't believe that God will answer my prayers, I still pray - either that God will change me or change the situation. Sometimes I want to just give up.

Update: June 25, 2009.
Thank you so much to all who responded. Your support means so much. I enjoyed reading about all of your experiences and what you've learned from them. I know that prayer has power, even though it doesn't work as quickly as I'd like it to sometimes. Thanks for your kind words and God bless!

- Asked by A Player, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

I do believe in God. I also believe that, yes, He does hear and answer prayer. However, His time is not our time, and His ways are not our ways. Often, we don't hear or see His answer because it is not delivered in the way in which we were expecting or when we "wanted" it. But if one is open and "still," one can hear His voice and see His hand in everything.

- Response by carinabay, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55, Lawyer

I beleive that God is our father in Heaven, and he knows what is best for us. Make your petition and then leave it up to him. Pestering will not make things work out faster if it is not in His plan. Continue to pray and have a dialog with Him, because that is a cornerstone of faith.

- Response by purrzn, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

"Yet those who wait for the LORD will gain new strength; They will mount up with wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary."
~*i remember that verse from when i was a kid:)*~

- Response by blondelily09, A Trendsetter, Female, 29-35, Artist / Musician / Writer

good idea. the sooner you "give up", the sooner you can "get it on" with reality.

If God believes it is bad for you, no matter how muchh you pray for something, He will not grant it.

I believe if God brings it to you he will see you thru it. I also belief everything that comes our way has a lesson to be learned and until we learn whatever the lesson is God will not answer that prayer. Keep the faith that He will take care of your problems.

- Response by nowornever, A Thinker, Female, 66 or older, Financial / Banking

Right-up front, this answer will probably be unpopular.

I do believe in God but I just don't think he intervenes in our lives while we are here on Earth.

I think He just kind-of kicks us out of the nest at birth and says, "Go on; be good and I'll see when you get back."

He gave us free-will; the CHOICE to do right or do wrong...the choice to stay or go...the choice to make changes in our lives and left it up to us to make our own way and our choices.

I think if He got involved in our lives HERE children wouldn't be abused. Bad things wouldn't happen to good people.

A Preacher friend of mine says that one can pray all day long but sometimes the answer from God is, "No."

He could be right but I believe more in my theory.

- Response by jenny12, A Career Woman, Female, 46-55, Other Profession

I tend to believe that God will help as long as you're willing to do your part, but He will not do it for you. If you're willing to work to gain, change, grow, you'll find help along the way, a great deal of which may not appear to come from the Creator, but probably does. If you sit on your tail and pray, you'll get a callous on your tail and little else. Stop waiting for Him to change you; start the change yourself and see how much help you get.

- Response by ottergrl, An Alternative Girl, Female, 46-55, Medical / Dental

God always answers prayers from His children(if you are saved).
He says YES,,NO AND LATER.

Always remember that one thing God will not do is go against yours or someone else'e free will.

My family prayed for 25 years for me to be saved and God finally got the right person to me in 1990.

Never give up!

- Response by randolph, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 56-65, Artist / Musician / Writer

he's given me the ability to work things out for myself..
i only pray for other people who deserve it...
try it...

- Response by kramer, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Who Cares?

If you are not meant to be with the guy you want....you wont be an no matter how much you pray--Instead ask God to send you the right man!! or the right job!! or the right ____________whatever. He will.

if u dont believe he'll answer them, then he's not gonna answer, u have to believe in order for him to answer them and when ur praying..ur not supposed pray for dreams to come true for example: to get promoted in my job, for my bf to come back to me.. YOU have to work for it to get it you cant just let god do all the work

- Response by kimmybee7, A Player, Female, 22-25

God does answer prayer but in his own way, in his own time. He has his plan and we are not privy to it. Never give up hope. He may not answer your prayer the way you want him to.

God speaks in a "still small voice"...He wants whats best for you...according to His will...remember..."He will never leave you or forsake you"...

- Response by brendy, A Hippie Chick, Female, 46-55, Other Profession

When I pray and have faith that it will happen it usually does

My mother always told me that God helps those who help themselves.

- Response by myrtletyrtle, A Creative, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

If it's meant for you, it will be yours, but in God's time. God's time can take a minute, days or even years, but only He knows when that time is.

The power of belief is a strong force, so even when you feel like losing faith or falling into the state of disbelief, hang on there and believe that your prayers will be answered. Also keep in mind that an answered prayer is not equivalent to a wish granted, if it's not meant to be then you've to learn to accept it, and still be thankful coz He has greater thing in-store for you.

- Response by simplyasking, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

I'm not a Christian, but even I can see that you got it wrong - You are supposed to do what God say, not the other way around.

- Response by klaxometro, An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

Yes, I do believe that and it happens to me a lot.
Having said that, G-d's answer is not always what you wish for!

If you've been praying for something for 2 years and didn't get it, His answer is clearly NO.

G-d answers all prayers but not always what you ask for is good for you and He knows better.

His answers are:
- Yes
- No
- Not yet

I've learned a very good lesson. I once prayed to get together with this guy, although I could see some red flags but I wanted him...I prayed and I prayed...I dig get together with the guy and found out he was really a jerk.
I've learned that you should pray for the right one and not 'that one'...

- Response by marycherry, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Fitness

Keep it up... you never know when it will happen...

- Response by divalicious, A Trendsetter, Female, 22-25, Who Cares?

God, with your committment, can change anything in your life. Don't think of God as some wish machine, but as a hand to lift you up from where you are. Prayer always begins with an INTENTION. Then, acting on that INTENTION is where God helps us to work our plan. With our conscience, we decide whether our "prayer" is right or not. Sometimes, we pray for somethings that's not good or right for us. Also remember, every prayer has a "ying/yan" side. We can pray for alot of money, but money alone never really solves the problem. Most lottery winners usually lose all of their winnings within a few years. Prayer alone doesn't work.

- Response by rhunt0210, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Other Profession

Well, first off. You need the faith, God is always faithful to those who are faithful to Him.
And secondly, just praying for an answer, isn't always comforting. I'm not sure how you believe, and pressing a belief on you (I know)isn't going to help. But, just talking to God, will help a lot more. Especially when you feel like giving up.
And, God won't give you what you're asking for if it isn't good for you. God knows what's best.
Sometimes, bad things happen regardless, but we have to have the faith that they all happen for a reason and in His time.

As long as your heart is in the right place, God will always be there for you.

- Response by lollipop85, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 22-25, Atlanta, Student

First you have to believe in what your praying for, you got to have faith that God is going to give you what you ask for. Second God works on his time, he may not come when we expect or want him to but know that he is always on time. Whatever it is your praying for maybe its not your season to get that thing that you want so bad, or mayb God has a different plan for you. Be Blessed.

- Response by jae1983, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 29-35, Administrative

You are to pray as if everything depended upon God but ACT as if everything depended upon you. You've only got half of the formula. You need to act.

- Response by cosmicdog0, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65, Denver, Science / Engineering

I'm not religious but I believe that for God to help you, you also have to help yourself, remember Sloth or lazyness is one of the seven deadly sins. So keep praying for that thing you wish for but you also have to do something to get it.

- Response by kismet3, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Los Angeles, Other Profession

God answers prayers in "his" time not yours. hang in there

- Response by swabjockey52, A Couch Potato, Male, 56-65, Technical

A. You either don't VISCERALLY believe in God
B. You don't need it now or you don't need it at all, or you are not ready for it now. It will be given to you in good time if it is meant to be yours.

- Response by SassyMonique, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Other Profession

remember how we pray, ..... if it be thy will.

everything we pray and wish for is not necessarily what we need.

NEVER give up...whatever your situation, or dilema is... look inward for your answers and go with your innersense and women's intuition.

- Response by thatcrazyrncms, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55, Medical / Dental

Yes I believe in God but I believe you have to pray with the faith that He knows what is best and will give it to you regardless of what you think you want or need. In the past I have prayed for something to happen and it never did and then found out later it was a good thing it didn't and something else better happened to me instead.

God give you what you need, not what you want.
If you prey for patients do you think he is going to give you patients, or a situation where you must be patient?

- Response by lesliebby29, A Player, Female, 22-25, Who Cares?

I do believe in God, but no, just because you pray for something does not mean it is going to happen. God answers some prayers with a "yes", some with a "no", and some with a "wait". Unfortunately we don't always know which one it will be. If it is something you really want, keep praying for it and also ask God to take the wanting away from you if it is something He will not give you. Hope this helps!

- Response by koshoryujon, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35, Other Profession

God knows what is good for us and does not answer the way we want him to.
If you believe that he will answer your wants...keep faithful that he will answer in his own good time.
I suggest that you read the book of First John and then the Gospel of John.
If you want to email me with a prayer request, I will pray with you and send it to prayer warriors to pray along with you.
God love you!

- Response by A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 36-45, Other Profession

Keep it up! That's awesome! Maybe you're looking in the wrong spot. My FAVORITE passage is the one where God speaks not in the loud earthquake, not in the roaring fire, but in the hushed wind. It just shows that sometimes God is talking to us in the most subtle of ways and we need to be open. Also know that God will answer you when He feels that you are ready. AND there is a posibility that he feels that it is not for your own good. Maybe it is someting that you don't need or that is not in His plan. Know that whatever happens is for a reason and be open to Him. He will answer you somehow, someday. :D

- Response by mlcoast2, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 22-25

God is not a Lotto Ticket.

"Unanswered Prayers"

Just the other night at a hometown football game
My wife and I ran into my old high school flame
And as I introduced them the past came back to me
And I couldn't help but think of the way things used to be

She was the one that I'd wanted for all times
And each night I'd spend prayin' that God would make her mine
And if he'd only grant me this wish I wished back then
I'd never ask for anything again

Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers
Remember when you're talkin' to the man upstairs
That just because he doesn't answer doesn't mean he don't care
Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers

She wasn't quite the angel that I remembered in my dreams
And I could tell that time had changed me
In her eyes too it seemed
We tried to talk about the old days
There wasn't much we could recall
I guess the Lord knows what he's doin' after all

And as she walked away and I looked at my wife
And then and there I thanked the good Lord
For the gifts in my life

That just because he may not answer doesn't mean he don't care

Some of God's greatest gifts are all too often unanswered...
Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers.

- Response by movi, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Administrative

Ok i know the only answer to this question. Because i have had GOD answer my prayers. The first thing about asking GOD for help is you got to give GOD a reason to help you. I mean by devoting yourself to your religion. Making sue to follow all of the commandments and being true in yourself and out to others. God is Love and By loving everything you let GOD enter you. If you do this every day and don't lie to people and make sure to treat everyone like you would want to be treated. Second, it helps if you give something up that you have to GOD. In order to save my father from an anurism i asked GOD to take away my happiness and that day i had won a trophy and i said to GOD that i will give up my chance of ever winning another. It takes time for GOD to answer because there are so many prayers in the world. Here is something else you should think about. Don't hate people who are a different religion then you. We all worship the same GOD even thought he has so many names. Love GOD don't Fear him.

- Response by jonny1977, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 36-45

God doesn't work that way. If it is for a man, you've gotta do your part and God helps those who help themselves. Relying on God to make what you want to come true is unrealistic and can been seen as unreasonable too.

A perfect example of God not working that way is being sick with cancer and praying that goes away without treatment. Or the felon who prays that he'll get a good victim to rob. God doesn't work that way in either direction, I'm afraid.

Prayer is about the human soul and giving it strength, hope and courage. Not that God will answer ones prayers in the manner they want or desire.

YOU have the ability to change yourself. No one else, not even God, is going to do that for you. YOU have the ability to change your situation. No one else, not even God, is going to do that for you. This is where God helps those who help themselves. If you're sitting around waiting for his to "poof" wave a magic wand and make all your "troubles" go away, you're sadly mistaking. YOU have the control over your own life, so stop with trying to blame God for not making those things happen that YOU have control over.

RELAX!! GOD DOESN'T EXIST!! so.. unless you do it.. nobody is gonna get what you want. To pray is useless..lol.. you can give FAITH of it.. praying for two years...and all you have right now is NOTHING. :). Believe in YOURSELF.. and if you want to believe in something.. believe in that things will turn out your way soon, just because you deserve some happiness not because somebody is gonna do it for you. ;)

- Response by selenne, An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35, Home Maker

This is meant to be an honest answer, not a rude or flippant one.

God does not exist. You'll be much better off if you take your affairs into your own hands, instead of praying for a make-believe deity to solve your problems.

Again, I'm not trying to be rude. I know that many people have a lot invested in their religious beliefs, and can become upset when the foundations of those beliefs are challenged. I'm just giving you my perspective.

- Response by A Rebel, Male, 29-35, Washington, DC, Self-Employed