Why do people hate jehovah's witnesses?
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 12:58 AM - Wednesday June 24, 2009

why do people hate jehovah's witnesses?

So I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses and have been for my whole life. and i'm just curious as to why people just don't like us :(

Update: June 28, 2009.
Hellloo Everyone! To be honest i'm not the witness that's going to stand at your door and argue with you. I don't enjoy arguing with people. however i will defend the bible. i'm beginning to wonder if you've read the ENTIRE bible all together and not just scriptures that you like to hear. God can not die. therefore jesus is NOT god. The Encyclopoedia Britannica says "Neither the word Trinity, nor the explicit doctrine as such, appears in the new testament nor did jesus and his followers intend to contradict the shema in the old testament" The Catholic Encyclopedia says "the formulation 'one god in three persons' was not solidly established, certainly not fully assimilated into CHRISTIAN life and its profession or faith" The Bible(THE WHOLE THING...NOT JUST A FEW SCRIPTURES) clearly show that Jesus...God and the holy spirit are NOT one. They are separate. So no...in answer to your question i don't believe in the trinity. I believe in the Bible

Update: June 26, 2009.
I'm back again! someone had mentioned that jesus is god in the flesh. so you think that god died?? when jesus was praying in the garden the night before he died...was he praying to himself?? when jesus said that he was here to do the will of not himself but of him who sent him...does that not sound like he's referring to someone else?? JOHN.5:30 Sisters! once again..i apologize. I do not mean to offend. haha i can see how "puff" would seem kinda weird. i never thought of it like that. however i can assure you..thats not what i meant. lol i know what its like to be inactive. and my dear loving sister...its never too late because Jehovah is always there for you!! <3 <3 also someone else mentioned not coming to the door before 9am! hahaha i totally agree with you. i don't like being out of bed before 9am. however there are 7,000,000 Jehovah's Witnesses throughout the world...so i'm afraid i can't control if they knock on your door. haha good luck friend!

Update: June 26, 2009.
Hello again! for those who have had bad experiences with us coming to your door and staying for a long period of time while your food got cold..haha...i can honestly say we didn't mean to. again...if your in the middle of something...no harm in tellin us 'you know what...i'm busy' or 'i'm in the middle of something' ya know? i know i totally don't mind when people tell me to go away. i don't like forcing things on people...therefore,i don't do it. i've been to different states and gone door to door with different witnesses that i've never met before and felt that they were being too pushy at some times. all people are different. As to other sisters reading this...i do apologize if i came off snippy with you. i personally felt that you were going against me because of me posting this. i just appreciate people giving their opinions. and to be honest when i said 'don't go there with me' to the other one...i would of never thought she was a sister by her username. so again..i apologize. Hmmm i'm trying to remember all your comments. there were so many!! ....OH!...someone mentioned that we made up the name Jehovah. well as you know the bible was not originally written in english. lol so yes there was someone to translate. i've done research on the original hebrew name for jehovah. i found that it IS accurate! But lets say for some reason it wasn't gods name....what would you think it is? and if it isn't gods name (WHICH I DO THINK IT IS) then at least i am tryin to serve god the best i can. ya know? NOT sayin other people don't. i know people who are not of my faith who live decent lives,and serve god the best they can. and that commendable! Well...i can't remember any other questions anyone else would of had. sorry if i missed you. i have a small brain i guess,and i just forget easily. anyways...hope to hear more comments!

Update: June 24, 2009.
Wow! thank you so much all of you for telling me how you felt. alot of it was really interesting. and i wish i could take time to explain EVERYTHING lol but to be honest with all of you...i am very proud to be one of Jehovah's witnesses. I've been baptized in my faith for almost two years now. I didn't always use to be one. I studied different religions. and I found that this one made more sense. as far as the door to door knocking. "Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the father and of the son and of the holy spirit."-Matthew.28:19 so we "GO" and preach. I am NOT in anyways a morning person. so do not enjoy going out mornings. and just so you know...we're not trying to change yr religion. we're encouraging bible reading. and IF you feel that YOU want to become one of Jehovah's Witnesses than thats totally 100% up to you. Also..if you really are frustrated with us coming to your door...next time we knock. just tell them that you'd like to be on our "do not call" list. they'll know what that means. and we wont call on you anymore. I'm not the kind of person that pushes things on people. i don't enjoy it. cause i've been there,and it sucks. so if you tell me no thank you. i'll just be like alright well you guys have a great day. thats just me. some others are more headstrong about it and they INSIST that you listen. just explain to them that you are not interested. And if your sleeping when we knock. just keep sleeping. who said you had to get out of bed and answer the door?? Anyways thank you again for your answers. and to sxybtch or howevver you spello that....yes i go and listen to my meetings. theres nothing wrong with letting people freely express how they feel. not asking cause i don't know. so don't go there with me! Thanxx!!! ;]

- Asked by An Engaged Girl, Female, 22-25, Los Angeles, Who Cares?

I don't hate you. I don't like hate. It's a tear you apart kind of feeling and it takes to much effort to hate.

I think people are rude to J.W.'s because some don't know how to take no for an answer. I believe that you should have the right to practice your faith...whatever it may be. But some just push their beliefs on others.

If I told you I was completely agnostic and how great and freeing it was. Not to have to follow anyone elses rules. To live life your way and to make your own rules. To have belief in something but to be able to realize that it probably doesn't have a set of rules written down in a book. And you told me that's great but it's just not for me, I'm a J.W. and I just kept on and on with it. Eventually, you'd get pretty fed up that I didn't take the hint, right?

It's the same thing when you keep on and on about your religion when someone makes it clear that they arn't interested. Just smile and say ok, have a great day.

- Response by number22, A Life of the Party, Female, 22-25, Detroit, Self-Employed

I don't hate you...I just have some issues with you and those of your faith.

For example, you don't believe in military service.

I'm retired from the military. "You're welcome." If it weren't for military people you wouldn't have the right to practice your religion.

You don't believe in giving blood transfusions even in the event of a life-or-death situation. That's too bad.
If YOU needed a blood transfusion I'D be willing to donate blood to you along with a LOT of other people.

You don't believe in standing for the National Anthem and you don't believe in the American flag or the flag of any other country for that matter.

You believe that Christmas, Easter and birthdays are Pagan celebrations and you don't celebrate them. I feel sorry for your children.

Other than that...what the hell ever!
It's a free country thanks to those who make it so.

You benefit but you don't appreciate those who give you the right to do so and you'll NEVER be required to serve.

Those of your faith are gutless, brainwashed USERS in my opinion AND I'll fight to the death your right to be so but I'll tell you this...if the shit ever hits the fan and I have to choose between saving a J.W. and a person of almost any other faith...YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN.

- Response by jenny12, A Career Woman, Female, 46-55, Other Profession

because the stereotype is that you push religion into peoples faces and allow sick children to die.

- Response by croft1423, A Sportif, Female, 26-28, Student

If you are really a Witness, then you already know the answer. You don't need this forum to tell you. Do you not pay attention at the meetings???

- Response by sxybtch25, A Sportif, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

JW: Ding Dong
Homeowner: How may I help you
JW: I would like to...
Howeowner: Not interested
JW: but....
Howeowner: Not interested
JW: but....
Homeowner: *Slams door*

Persistence isn't always a good thing.

- Response by 20something, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 29-35, Consulting

I have nothing against them. Everyone has their right to believe in whatever they want. The only thing that bugs me is when they come to your house, they don't understand you are not interested in what they are preaching and you have to be rude to get them to leave. I don't like being rude to people.

- Response by lifestyle, A Father Figure, Male, 56-65, Houston

I don't hate Jehovah's Witnesses, but I generally hate anyone who comes to my door trying to sell me something. Especially salvation. I think that people don't so much hate Jehovah's Witnesses so much as they hate Jehovah's Witnesses who come knocking at their door. They get associated with that a lot and therefore people associate Jehovah's Witnesses with being a nuisance. Hope that makes sense to you.

- Response by kickinghawk, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35

I don't hate them. I just find them very annoying. In the past, they've knocked on my door and I drop what I'm in the middle of to answer to be met by people that want to try to tell me about their beliefs and why they are better than my beliefs.
I've had them knock in the morning when I was still sleeping.

If you can have your church stop the door to door I won't have any problem with it. I think a lot of other people have that same complaint.

- Response by pookiedoo, A Creative, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

I don't like being awakened in the morning and they not only wake me up, but take will not take no for an answer and I am a Souther Baptist...and they keep asking me if I have found Jesus, and I keep asking them whey they keep losing him...so don't wake me up after I have worked all night and then I will not dislike you. I don't hate anyone.

- Response by phoenixbandit, A Guy Critical, Male, 66 or older, Columbus, Law Enforcement

Actually, I don't hate you at all. It's the in your face "witnessing" that pisses me off. To many, their spiritual connection is a personal thing between them and their God. Being told they are not on the right path BC of their beliefs/religion or even wrong is very presumptive on your part when you don't even know them from Adam. If you could be around without every thought/discussion revolving around some scriptural passage, I'm sure we could all get along just fine.
Come have a cold beer and lets talk about the economy........

And by the way, I don't hate them. I'm just fed up with them because although I can respect their belief, they cannot do the same with me...

- Response by marycherry, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Fitness

If you have been one your whole life then you KNOW the answer....."they will persecute you as they have persecuted me (Jesus)".....

- Response by An Alternative Girl, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

That's very funny: you encourage Bible study?

What I have seen happen to people very close to me (non-Jewish) is that the moment they accepted one Bible study session, you guys immediately took charge and didn't give them the space to think for themselves and soon they found themselves sucked in.
Not once you would leave them alone and let them comeback by their own 'free will'.
You force yourselves onto people.

I have a friend who, it doesn't matter how often I tell him I'm not interested, he won't give up in his attempt to convert me.
That is really disrespectful. To tell him that for me it would be idolatry, does not deter him from trying. My solution is now not to talk to him about religion. Period.

You're in it for 2 years but I've known how you guys operate since I was 16.

Ah and sorry one more thing: the name that you use is not G-d's name. You guys made it up. Any Hebrew speaker will tell you that...

Apart from the fact that it's a major sin to say G-d's name in vain...
In your case, I suppose it's OK at the end of the day...Because Jehovah is not G-d's name...

Because they IMPOSE their will on to others. Most are very, very pushy and won't take no for an answer. They show absolutely no tolerance for anyone else's beliefs and believe that theirs is the only right one.

- Response by sunset77, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

I don't hate Jehovah's Witnesses. I am a christian, although I am Assembly of God, I believe that as long as we believe that Jesus is our Saviour than we're all going to the same place. So, God bless :)

- Response by lollipop85, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 22-25, Atlanta, Student

I am glad you asked this question. I feel no hate for Jehovah's Witnesses. Each religion should be respected, as well as the lack of religion. I suppose people dislike them because of the whole "knocking on your door at 7am" thing, but I have known many Jehovah's witnesses and I actually took the time to read the material.

The only real problem I ever had was with an ex-boyfriends mom. His family (including himself) were of your religion. He really liked me and we got along great, but his mom never liked me. She made comments that she didn't want him to be with someone that was not of the religion. She even had a term for it. It was "Mundana" (she spoke Spanish). It really pissed me off, because she was discriminative toward me for not being of her faith. I had complete and total respect for their faith, and I assumed she would have the same respect for me. Of course, I understand that not all people of a particular group are the same, but that is just the ONE bad experience I had. I, in no way, use that as a basis for my opinion of the religion or the people who practice it. :-)

- Response by anonymouspersona, A Hippie Chick, Female, 26-28, Miami, Student

i dont hate members of jehova witnesses, i hate the fact that they knock my door while im having my sunday lunch and it goes cold because they spend half an hour talking. but as for hating members of any particular religion i dont.

- Response by CuppyCakey, An Alternative Girl, Female, 22-25, Student

If by research you mean wikipedia...

This comes from your own sources:
(1984) booklet, The Divine Name That Will Endure Forever, as well as some of the arguments used in the Appendix 1A of the new Reference edition (1984) of the New World Translation, and the introduction to the Greek-English interlinear produced by the Watchtower.

"Some modern scholars argue against the use of the expression "Jehovah," choosing Yahweh or perhaps no vocalization of the tetragram at all, as is the custom of the orthodox Jews today. The arguments of the former mainly consist of pointing out that "Jehovah" was most certainly not the original pronunciation, and that "Jehovah" was a term invented, or at least first used, by the Spanish monk Raymundus Martini in his book Pugeo Fidei in the year 1270 A.D.1

And again from your 'NWT':
"While inclining to view the pronunciation "Yah.weh" as the more correct way, we have retained the form "Jehovah" because of people's familiarity with it since the 14th century."

So basically, you maintained the wrong name even though you know it's wrong! Where is the truth here?

An excerpt from freeminds:
Why did the Watchtower choose the pronunciation "Jehovah" to represent the Divine Name? Apparently because this form was the most common vocalization of the tetragrammaton, being used by the King James Bible and a host of others. Today the Watchtower Society does not claim that "Jehovah" is the most accurate way to pronounce the name; indeed, it could not have been, for the "J" and "V" sounds are foreign to the Hebrew language. The Watchtower argument mainly consists of attacking the disuse of the name.

(FYI - the King James Bible is not a Jewish source.)

Apart from the letters 'J' and 'V'...The vowl combination is wrong: there is no 'o' and there is no 'a'. In fact, even the 'e' is in the wrong place.
Of course you know this has nothing to do with 'English' traslations, right? This name is not only used in English or is it?
If your name is Lara and I change one vowl and call you Lora or I add a vowl and call you Laura - is this the same as the original name???

Anyway, we are not allowed to use the tetragrammaton! For fear of going against the 3rd commandment...

Hey, don't feel like this is an attack against you because it's not. At the end of the day, for me it's OK - whatever you believe is fine...

When Witnesses ask me why I don't 'preach' and try to get them to convert...My answer is always the same: because we don't believe that the Jews will be the only ones who will be 'saved' (apart from the fact that it's very difficult to be an observant Jew). We do not think like you or other Christian groups that salvation will only occur for a certain group of people on the condition of accepting Jesus or becoming a witness.

One Jehova's Witness recenly told me that those people that don't follow the 'right religion' (become witnesses) will be left without a G-d when the end of the world comes!
I had to laugh at this naive belief and obvious bad knowledge
of G-d...When that day will come, we'll see...:-)
InZechariah 8:23 it says:
"In those days ten men out of all the languages of the nations shall take hold and seize the robe of a Jew, saying: 'Let us go with you, for we have heard that G-d is with you".

they are too pushy for most of us

Hating someone is anti-biblical, so I hate no one.
The biggest problem I have with JW's are their flawed doctrine as noted here.

1 John 5:7
For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the WORD, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are ONE.

John 1:1-2
In the beginning was the WORD, and the WORD was with God , and the WORD WAS GOD. He was with God in the beginning.

John 1:14
The WORD became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

You deny the Diety of the Christ.

- Response by mistyjean, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Self-Employed