When a guy you are dating calls you 'kiddo'...
Dating / 2:19 PM - Tuesday June 23, 2009

what do you think of that?
and yes, he did.
:(

- Asked by stevieann, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

is he 80?

- Response by usarmy24id, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 36-45, Celebrity

I'd think, "eew"

Nah, I can't get with that. He's not your dad or your grandfather or your uncle, he shouldn't be calling you that. It just doesn't sound right.

Now, sexy sounds better, coming from your man. Kiddo? Not so much.

- Response by augustbaby82, A Married Girl, Female, 29-35, New York, Financial / Banking

It's probably a term of endearment he's used all his life.

If you don't like it....just tell him.

- Response by drumboi2, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65

I dated a couple of older men and they both did that. I think they were trying to be cut, didn't mean any offense, but it was a big turn off.

- Response by aoluserchick, A Career Woman, Female, 46-55, Consulting

Ugh! No, I don't like that at all. Demeaning, almost.

I also don't like "buddy", "man", "dude", "toots" or anything like that.

Could be a term of endearment or just a way to let you know you're friends, and that's about it.

- Response by mrskevinsmith, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, Celebrity

umm unless your not younger than 18 this is unacceptable. I think he would say this to mean he is seen you as a child.

- Response by An Alternative Girl, Female, 26-28

I dont think so Kiddo........

NO NO NO.....
I don't agree with most of them.... It's just a pet-name.....
Mine calls me silly-girl.....
It's still a nice term.... Don't overthink it....

- Response by nicolegillenwater, A Thinker, Female, 36-45

1st I would be wonder why he's there on my date.

- Response by wetwired, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 29-35, Vancouver, Who Cares?

it's really no different than any other "affectionate" short-hand.

Oh??? Just Friendso.....

- Response by lady4u, A Married Girl, Female, 56-65, Cincinnati, Who Cares?

I don't think it's a big deal in the 46 and over age range.

- Response by birdland, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Who Cares?

It means he's not exclusive to dating just you. And so you shouldn't be exclusive to just dating him. He probably thinks it's a cute little name for you, but it's rather common and he's probably playing the field, as should you.
In other words, "He's Just Not That Into You!"

- Response by manicmom53, Female, 56-65, Portland

He's seen to many old films. And he probably wont get another date.

- Response by klaxometro, An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

my bf calls me that and he's younger than me. i don't take any offence to it, i think its kinda sweet in that i am older than him.

- Response by nicky711, A Thinker, Female, 36-45

You don't have enough information to react. Pet names for people in a relationship can be very simple and not always clear of intention initially. Try the old fashion way, ask him what he means or why he's chosen that particular name... Be calm and smart.. Good luck

- Response by gibran, A Father Figure, Male, 36-45, Miami, Self-Employed

It really depends on the context; example, if you did something goofy, then he called you kiddo, not good, but if you did something sweet and endearing, and you heard kiddo, I can say that's pretty sweet. Also, if you get to go out on another date, that's also a good sign.

People have different ways of expressing their feelings, at it goes the same with terms of endearment, it can be corny, old-fashioned, but so long as the person who's saying it feels by that giving you that pet name you and him has become somewhat closer, then that's fine; but if you get bothered by it, then find the right timing to tell him.

- Response by simplyasking, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

eeehh thats weird! I'd make me feel like I'm dating an old geezer.

- Response by mlcoast2, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 22-25

I've had that happen and I think it is just a term that some people get into the habit of using. I don't really like it though.

I'm sorry...:(

- Response by ddn1958, A Sportif, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

who cares? It could be a lot worse. I don't like dude or man, cause it makes me just sound like one of the guys, but I don't keep it on my mind. Ignore it, or tell him to stop.

- Response by lesliebby29, A Player, Female, 22-25, Who Cares?

Mine does. I like it. He has two kids 12, 11. He call them so also. I feel that he is not just loving me but protecting and accepting my madness sometimes. My ex used to be so sensitive and offesnsive but this man behave older and wiser. So I really don't mind.

He's just being informal. It doesn't mean anything in particular.

I think its cute.. in fact I dated a guy who said that.. didn't bother me a bit

i would never call a woman that

- Response by A Career Man, Male, 46-55, New York, Who Cares?

Weird... I would immediately offer his some Geritol!

- Response by msgg, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Managerial

he is probabley just trying to give you cute nickname. but if he is a few years older than you than thats kind of weird you know like if i was dating some afew years older than me and they called me kiddo than i don't know what i would think like wow is this guy trying to seem like my brother !
good luck D

- Response by A Creative, Female, 22-25, St John's

It would make me feel young which is always cool!

I love terms of endearment and almost nothing irritates me.

- Response by myndseye711, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Vladivostok, Technical

I hate when anyone calls me kiddo. I had a boss once who did that and I absolutely hated it. I didn't have the guts then to say anything. If it happened now, I'd definitely say something.

If my man were to call me kiddo I'd definitely let him know how I felt about it.

- Response by mariposa3333, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, New York, Self-Employed

i'd say ewwwwwwwwwww, unless he was just kidding

- Response by CuppyCakey, An Alternative Girl, Female, 22-25, Student

dont worry about it.....if he starts to call u it during sex,then maybe start to worry! lol

=) bub bye!

- Response by cheekymatt25, A Career Man, Male, 29-35, London, Body Work

I guess it could be considered a term of endearment? But it also sounds pretty damn unsexy! I'm nearly 22 and people think I'm about 18, so I would definitely hate if a guy called me 'kiddo' on top of that!

- Response by girly4556, A Hippie Chick, Female, 26-28, New York, Who Cares?

I think that he has no affection for me other than maybe as a 'family member' or something and would completely turn me off because I want to be with someone who sees me as a woman, not as 'kiddo'...:D

I've been called kiddo a few times but they are referencing my height....i'm really short.

It depends on a lot of things. However, I would assume it's a term of endearment. I call my sweetey/now-husband "boyo" on occasion, an old Irish term for lad or boy. He's 50. I've called past boyfriends "puppy." My husband calls me the ever popular "baby."

Is your guy an older man with unresolved power issues? I would not assume that him calling you "kiddo" is an indicator of that; there are other more reliable indicators of debilitating unresolved power issues, and him *not* calling you "kiddo" isn't going to magically cure him of that sort of serious defect, if indeed he is suffering from it.

- Response by pandorasfault, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Teaching

i wouldn;t like it, It's just a slang term..used on older people, but i see u r not old enough to be called "kiddo" my gramma's gentleman friend, also calls her kiddo, in toasting her, he'll say here's to u kiddo" but gramma is 72 y/o. Your bf, may not know, he's using a name for extremely older people. set him straight, and if he continues..tell "kiddo dude" to take a flying leap....good luck

- Response by A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Chicago

I think it's creepy. Dating a father-figure who is treating you like a daughter-figure. No one needs that gross dynamic in their relationship.

- Response by trufflet, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

OMG...I can't deal with that...such disrespect. I told my hubby if he didn't stop calling me that the wedding was OFF!!! Needless to say he stopped calling me kiddo :)

- Response by A Cool Mom, Female, 36-45, Internet / New Media

i had a guy call me punko and i was like "whyd you call me that?" and he was like "dont you like it? my ex and i used to call each other that" yes, he just called me his ex's pet name. i went out with him once and it was the worst date ever. like "my best friend's girl" but in real life....

- Response by undercoverpenislover, A Hippie Chick, Female, 22-25, Chicago, Who Cares?

Depends on whether he is affectionate with you in a boyfriend way. If all he does is act like a regular friend then it might mean something. I would ask him why he calls you that and what he means by it.

Means he doesn't see you as girlfriend material.He thinks of you as a sister or a friend.No potential for anything more.It sucks but that's what it is :(
Call him 'bro' or 'brother' next time u see him!

- Response by listentome27, A Thinker, Female, 22-25, Dallas