Going to go to college in another state...
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 3:03 PM - Tuesday June 16, 2009

Do I have to pay out of state tuition if I moved to another state to go to that college? I am from MInnesota and I am moving to near Chicago (Glen Ellyn)to go to college there, but not planning on moving back to Minnesota.

- Asked by ellekassia26, A Creative, Female, 29-35, Home Maker

yes. you're paying for whatever they charge in that state.

- Response by gaffb, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 26-28, Toronto, Administrative

I don't know where you're moving to or from but you have to be a legal resident of atleast two years to be paying instate tuition. You will also NOT be considered a legal resident if you've moved they're simply for school and will therefore be required to pay out of state tuition unless you can prove to the university that you have some other reason for living there. In which case you'll STILL have to be a resident of two years for you to be valid for paying in-state tuition.

- Response by sweetness04, A Trendsetter, Female, 26-28, Artist / Musician / Writer

Yes. The rules vary per state but it is usually must have 1 -2 yr residency in that state.
Had one friend who figured out it was cheaper to rent a cheap empty apartment for a year. He never moved into into.

So that he could qualify for in-state tuition.

You have to live their for so long to be a resident first, so you will until then.

- Response by lifestyle, A Father Figure, Male, 56-65, Houston

Yes.

You have to establish residency...I think you have to live in the state one year...?

- Response by fizzzzle, A Creative, Female, 26-28, Student

You have to be a legal resident of that state to get the tuition breaks.

LEGAL RESIDENT - not I just moved here for school...so probably not unless you change your legal residency from Minnesota to Illinois.

I believe you have to live in the state for 6 months before you are called a resident and you don't have to pay out of state tuition.....

- Response by lab01, A Father Figure, Male, 46-55, St.Louis, Other Profession