Do you have to believe in the Bible to believe in God?
Race, Religion & Politics / 5:00 AM - Monday June 15, 2009

I'm just wondering if the two HAVE TO coincide... i grew up catholic but there are things in the Bible that i dont necessarily agree with... i believe in God... i don't believe in the Bible mainly because its a book written by man. Is that wrong?

- Asked by meximerican1272, A Guy Critical, Male, 26-28

no. belief in god is a fundamental precept that needs no trappings, no dogma and no formalized "hokus pokus" to be intensely honored and given the sweetest and most personal of voices.

you are not "wrong". you are on the very precipice of spiritual freedom. i'd encourage you to take the leap OF and TOWARDS true and personal faith.

I believe the bible (akin to the Chinese whisper) has been re-written so many times by so many people, that nothing is for certain anymore... I support my legs, because they support me! LOL

- Response by puniksem, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, London, Consulting

There is nothing wrong with NOT believing in the bible... I suppose we all have our own personal views and beliefs and who are entitled to those rights.

But my question to you is that you say that you don't belive in the bible because it is written by man.... well would you believe in it any more or less if it were written by machine or merely by a thing?

I personally believe in it because I would rather believe in a book that was written by somebody that was THERE and who has EXPERIENCED it and who created the situations?

I mean what resaon do you have for not believing other then what you have stated?

God and his fellow citizens and worshippers at the time wrote that book and lived through those times, so you are we to say that it did not happen?

Yes there a few progarms that have brought out many many things and situations and stories that has not been included in the bible and that throws a spanner in the works anout our belief..

but like the bible says, we are going to come across many many things in our life time that are going to try make sure that we turn away from GOd and stop believing....I wonder if this is one of them>

Think about it man or machine. Who would you trust more?

- Response by Sharks-babe, A Creative, Female, 22-25, Student

i think that faith and religion are very different concepts, If you believe in god and live a good life it should not matter if you believe in a book.

- Response by jeangenie, An Alternative Girl, Female, 26-28

I believe that the relationship you have with God is between you and God, plain and simple. If you have questions that He cannot answer directly or indirectly, then the Bible is a reference tool. Do YOU think it is wrong not to believe in the bible?? If not, then yeah it's cool!

- Response by gypsy85, A Trendsetter, Female, 29-35

well its true that u don't have to believe in bible for believing in God BUT for that u need to have more information as this book like others was written by man but not by himself, it was sent verbally to Good people of God and then they wrote it down, but what happened in case of bible that it was not written down till Jesus was in this world living, so after he was crucified, his 4 close asides thought of writing them down and so they did, but coz they all were humans with all human abilities so they couldn't write it down as it was, so all 4 of them differ from each other and then later on so called priests for their own interest changed a lot of things in the book to help them rule, if u know that for centuries they didn't let general public see the holy bible coz they could question them as they were using the religion for then own interest and to rule.
But u cant say that all these holy books which are four in number r written by humans, they r copied in written form by humans but the text is sent by God so u have to choose one of the book to follow the rules of God as these books were not sent for no use, they gave the rules of life, as God didn't left humans to live an animals life so He set the rules so if u do believe in God then u have to obey the rules He set to live this life.

- Response by mani99, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Glasgow

But it was inspired by God

I have a solution for you, Mr Non-Bliever in the Bible......

White out what you don't believe in and agree with, and put in there what you believe should be there instead.

- Response by richard77, A Jock, Male, Who Cares?, Self-Employed

No, the Bible is one set of stories about a god. It is slanted, and is was written for one nation a long time ago. All of the many Scriptures are valid to some degree; but the Gods and Goddesses can be known without any books.

- Response by lyon, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Boston, Self-Employed

They have re-written the bible so many times, who knows what the original was like. I too believe in a higher power (God) but don't believe in everything that is in the bible. I have read both the new and old testament and just don't believe all of it.

I'm totally with you. I believe there is a god but I don't follow the bible. There are some things in the bible especially some things directed towards women that I just don't agree with. If you really read it you can tell it was written by a bunch of old white men.

No you don't have to believe in the Bible to believe in God, in fact, I'm a Catholic too and a lot of what is written in the Bible is written from the point of view of people who were told the stories and wrote them...I don't believe a lot of what is in the Bible either and to be honest, I think the Bible is just a book that 'helps' others learn to live life as God may have wanted but the 'translation' of His words were changed over time because of the many perspectives the Bible is written...:D

yes i would have to say so.

- Response by prettysoul21, A Thinker, Female, 22-25

It's a great thing that you ask this question! It shows that you can think for yourself. I want you to watch this video about how an athiest feels when confronted with a religious person, it's really eye-opening. (delete the spaces)

http://www.dailymotion. com/user/totocacapouet/ video/x8uei4_openminded ness_tech

- Response by workplay, A Career Man, Male, 29-35, Military

There's the bible that is said to be God-inspired, and then there's God. God is universal, and doesn't have boundaries. Many faiths believe in some version of God. Don't let your faith in God be dictated by the doctrines of one religion. Study the world's religions and you'll see how much we really have in common with each other. God is omnipresent, everywhere. God is everything, including inside of you. Seek and Ye shall find.

- Response by rhunt0210, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Other Profession

The Bible is no more the direct word of God than your run of the mill Southern Baptist preacher is a direct messenger of God. The bible has been translated, retranslated, amended, abridged, and in short passed down from one handwriter to the next with their own individual twists nuances and prejudices. One can only guess at what the real Jesus preached.

- Response by gilpill, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Chicago, Internet / New Media

No, you do not have to. God doesn't care about where you worship or how you do...just that you do. My faith with God is mine with him...not with the Bible...I do read it on occasion but I talk a lot with God.

- Response by fizzzzle, A Creative, Female, 26-28, Student

The bible is God's love letter to humanity. If you truly believe, than you listed to the words. In other words, one way of expressing your faith is by following bible teachings consistently.

- Response by maxxfighter, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, Financial / Banking

Loving God is Key!!!

I have to say that as long as you love God and follow the 10 commandments, that is the best thing you can do.

The bible was written by man, but you have to take in to account that God works though man, therefore a lot of it written is very true and factual.

On the other hand there is a big difference between the old testament and the new testament. Most of the old testament you can not follow just for the fact it was BC and that changes a lot! It is good to know for history but that is all. The New testament has a lot of good facts but don't take everything for face value. Now this is important.... Take everything you read and look for a deeper meaning behind it. It was written to be looked at in thousands of different ways. It is how you read it that matters. Don't ever take the context someone else is telling you as fact, it is an opinion! Everything can mean something different to everyone.

- Response by spdcrz, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 29-35, Vancouver, Who Cares?

Here is a quote from the Bible in 2 Timothy 3:16-17 "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works." This was written by the Apostle Paul, who was taught personally by Christ.

The Bible is reliable. It is written by many people, but with the same God inspiring all the writers. If someone believes in God, they will want to know Him and His Goodness more. They will want to read God's Revelation of Himself to mankind in the Bible. If you are aware of the Bible's existence and have access, then there is no way to say you are truly seeking God while avoiding His means of revealing himself.

It would be like saying you seek residency in Hawaii but refuse to move there, live there, pay taxes there, or anything else involved with residency there. People can give you all sorts of ways of saying, "If you want to be a resident there, just have a sincere intent, but don't do anything real about it. You will be okay, I'll tell them you really want to be a resident. Don't worry what Hawaii's government says that you have to do to be a resident." It's a ridiculous argument.

God uses men and women as his messengers to other men and women. That's how His Bible has been passed down to us.

- Response by beachinbeachboy, A Jock, Male, 36-45, Pittsburgh, Consulting

you make an excellent point, but there are many things that can be extracted from the bible to help us relate to people in our lives. you may want to read Pope Ratzinger's book on Jesus of Nazareth - it is an excellent explaination of a lot of questions people have about being catholic. Again, I don't believe the Bible should be understood in the syntax that it is given, but you should learn how to read between the lines of some of the lessons. It is basically telling us to have compassion for each as God does for us - it is the word that is conveyed to us so that we have a relationship with God in our lives.

- Response by ruffian, A Sportif, Female, 36-45

If you are sure you want to leave your faith, I would suggest you understand it first. The nature of your question suggests to me that you've never really learned it or gave it a shot.

And by the sound of the moron that answered your question, they don't even know it for themselves either, they're just spouting off things they've heard.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about the faith you may have. Good luck on your faith journey.

- Response by quikslvr, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, Farming

You have to take the Bible as a whole. It says it was inspired by God and written by man but they were writing what God told them to write. Either you believe that are you don't. I don't agree with everything in the Bible either. Just glad I did not live in old testament times when you had to sacrifice animals. Couldn't have handled that. My sister negates the Bible because she hates the part that says "Jesus wept." She feels if He is perfect he would not have cried. I ask her where she got her criteria from. Since when does it make you imperfect to cry?? It is all in the perception.

they say the Bible is Gods word. i dont agree with some of the stuff in there either but u gotta admit if everyone followed the 10 commandments his world would be a much better place dont u think? u cant choose to follow the things that suit you only and ignore the rest coz u dont like it

- Response by tendai, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Medical / Dental