Should you be in love after 7 months in a relationship?
Dating / 11:06 PM - Sunday June 14, 2009

me and my boyfriend have been going out for 7 months now and its my 1st serious relationship. i was in love with him before he even asked me out but he has never been in love and he still doesnt love me...is that normal that hes not ready to say the L word? and how long should i wait for him?

I think a 7 month relationship could likely give you a clue as to what his favorite cereal is and likely what his favorite sex position is. But I don't think it could actually induce the L word feelings just yet. I actually have to agree with Joybird, from the rest of the details of your question, seems like you are still kind of infatuated with your guy and not seeing him for who he is. As for him, he is more than likely seeing you for who you are and working through his feelings about you, but they likely aren't even close to love ones just yet. I think you might want to keep note of actual things about him that you really like and are good traits and which are bad, to keep you in perspective on his real character and then see if you can fall in love with that person after another several months. Might keep you on track with whom you are really dating and not your ideal.

- Response by CursedRomantic, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Columbus, Student

No.

I dated my husband for 14 years before saying *I do* He, on the other hand, knew he wanted to marry me within the first year of meeting me. I liked him but doubt that love came into my vocabulary until the latter part of that 14th year.

- Response by agesago, A Cool Mom, Female, 56-65, Transportation

I don't think there is a time limit on loving someone...I with with someone for 5 months and didn't say I loved them...because I didn't. I didn't know them enough to want to give him my heart...for some people...love takes a little bit longer.

- Response by fizzzzle, A Creative, Female, 26-28, Student

This may sound surprising, but 7 months is often a VERY VERY VERY short time to be already onto the L word. Most guys won't start to feel any "love" until they've been with you for maybe more than a year. They don't like to take things seriously, and will avoid it before eventually facing the facts that they are in a relationship with you that is going to last. Some guys don't even say it until marriage. And it isn't a bad thing! In fact, it's a good thing that he doesn't feel pressured to say it yet. It means that when or if he does say it, it will REALLY mean something.

- Response by egormley, A Hippie Chick, Female, 22-25, Toronto

saying you love some one and really loving them are two different things. many men I know are "in Love" but do not use the word love until they are serious enough to want to marry. we are scared sometime to use the word for fear that the woman will think it to mean more then it means at the time. also we are well aware of other men who will causually throw around the word love when they really do not mean it just so they can get into your pants. that he is still dating you after 7 months shows that he is interested in you and has feelings for you...it is in trying to label it that you may miss out of real love.

- Response by sirkermittsg, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Dallas, Transportation