Tips on dealing with really stupid people?
Career / 9:00 AM - Sunday June 14, 2009

tips on dealing with really stupid people?

Any one have any tips in dealing with stupid people at work? I do internet tech support over the phone for cox communications and some of these people who call in are seriously unbelievable. Now, dont get me wrong, Im not an expert or a know it all in anyways with the internet and computers i know how to fix the internet and why some stuff happens...and how to navigate through computers really well, but no expert computer geek here! lol but anyways... My question is honestly how hard is it to unplug something from the power? this is like the 3rd most confusing concept for some people. the first most confusing concept would be bypassing a router but i dont get as frustrated at that because that is a little more "advanced" i guess...i once sat on a call with a lady for THIRTY MIN. and told her how to unplug her modem from the electricity! i was stunned! i didnt know how to put it any more simple than "look at the box with lights that says motorola....ok...then pull out the very bottom cord from the back its black and skinny..." she had no idead what i was talking about... And these people are Dr's and lawyers calling in. people who went to school for years and years, but they dont know how to plug something in? And they dont listen! you could say unplug the modem and they will say "oh turn off my computer? then you have to reapeat it 10 times...ugh! My favorite is when the "IT professionals" call in and rub it in your face taht they went to some 2 year technical school for their little IT degree, so when i fix their problem i want to say..

"why are you calling for help if you know all this sutff? how is it that i just solved your problem that you should have KNOWN how to fix,but your coming off like your smarter than me?....yeah some college you went to huh?"

sorry if you are one of these people but i cant take it anymore! do you have any tips for dealing with these kinds of people? making them smarter? lol...the stupid ones and the IT professionals who only pretend to be technologically literate?

- Asked by nofxroxx34, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 22-25

I hate to say this but - you can't fix stupid.

I wish cops could give out tickets to stupid people though, then maybe they'd smarten up!

- Response by dragonswagg, A Hip Hop Girl, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

Just consider it job security and be glad they haven't outsourced your job to INDIA.

Reading you post made me laugh because it made me think of my mom. She is much better than she used to be but she has major issues sometimes and it's usually something very simple. My father in law has plenty of issues too but he's learning.

- Response by usarmy24id, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 36-45, Celebrity

I hear you. I'm stationed at the Hampton Roads Naval Museum here in Norfolk, VA. I've gotten some pretty stupid questions myself. Unfortunately, the most you can do is grit your teeth, be polite and courteous, and rant to your friends when you get off work. Laugh about it later.

- Response by STGchick, A Thinker, Female, 22-25, Military

tell 'em to hold for a moment, and give the call to an associate that you don't like all that well...lol

- Response by sushihoney, A Cool Mom, Female, 36-45, Las Vegas, Other Profession

breath in and breath out... then try to answer their queries in a polite way. then after u hung up the phone, SCREAM!!!

- Response by lovehim1234, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Indianapolis, Retail

LOL, the best way to deal with this people is to be patient. Some old doctors anD lawyers are not computer literate but that doesn't mean they're really stupid..They excel and focus in their own fields that sometimes they just don't give a damn with other fields or they rely with other poeple who have expertise on that field just as how patient relies on the knowledge of their physicians in treating their illness.. Do your part.,its the job you chose and whether you like it or not, you have to deal with it..;)

- Response by winluvnsparkle, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Medical / Dental

I know what you are going through, I used to work in tech support as well. You tell them to press the start button and they ask if that is one of those with a letter on it or one of those with a number on it.
People who claim to have IT degrees are the worst. Hostile and rude.
Get out while you are still moderately sane;)

- Response by klaxometro, An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

I would like to hear specific tips on how to respond to people who when you explain a policy to them (and it is really simplistic)and they still do not understand it and you explain it again,and they still don't understand then resort to blaming their inability to comprehend on you, therefore, they are 'still' not responsible,and how are 'you' going to fix this, and since 'I' am not responsible, I don't have to pay this fee I owe. How do you avoid feeling offended yourself and resolve the misunderstanding peaceable and successfully. please, somebody while I still have my sanity :)

- Response by A Creative, Female, 46-55