Anyone else unemployed and feeling hopeless?
Career / 8:48 PM - Saturday June 13, 2009

I've been unemployed since December and I've sent 8-15 applications almost every day. Once in rare while I'll have an interview but no hire. I called one place back, it was a front desk job for minimum wage. The manager said I was over-qualified. I said I'm okay with minimum wage. I didn't know employers reject qualified people willing to work for them.

On top of this, my mom is putting me down. She wants me to end up on the streets. She says she's literally waiting. I'm too ashamed to tell the rest of my family whom I know will help. But I do not want to burden them. Secondly, I'm becoming sick with the flu (not the Swine!) and I'm very low on energy with aches and migraines, it's annoying with all the errands and running around to find a job. It's so difficult not to feel sad.

Anyone out there in the same boat? And yes, I even tried fast food places. thanks for replying.

- Asked by Female, Who Cares?

At this point of time, you need serious help.

Leave you shame behind and go to the relations who can help. Tell them true story. First get cured of your illnesses. Then seek a job with their help if possible, or whatever you can lay your hand on.

Management is indeed reluctant to keep overqualified persons on the jobs, as they know they are not stable, and will run away at the next available opportunity.

Or start some local service. There are plenty of opportunities.

At this moment, do care for yourself. You do need help. Go get it.

- Response by counsellor, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 66 or older, Delhi, Self-Employed

at this point you need to talk to the ones (the family and friends that will help) don't worry about being enbarrassed everyone is hurting right now....learn to live on very little money eat rice 5lbs for 5 dollars will last you atleast a month learn to be frugal...live with friends or family if you can for free but clean their house for them in exchange cook for them etc..i use to be homeless and i asked the people that would help...never get sad jobs will see that when you look for a job talk positive when you go in and don't take no when they say that they can't hire you...always say you will work anytime anyday...hopefully are economy will bounce back...god bless

- Response by musclesmatthews, A Guy Critical, Male, 29-35, San Francisco, Therapist

My feeling is that given this market... Collect your unemployment until some trend takes place, and then redefine yourself based upon the emerging market... We are a changed economy...

- Response by siouxzen, A Career Woman, Female, Who Cares?, Guadalajara, Self-Employed

I feel hopeless and i don't even know why my boyfriend is still with me.

- Response by carolcarr, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Tampa

I have been unemployed for the last 41 years...whoops, you said unemployed, I thought you meant not working, ok let me state this a bit better..I haven't "worked" for the last 41 years.

- Response by phoenixbandit, A Guy Critical, Male, 66 or older, Columbus, Law Enforcement

Yup! I just spent the day trying to get some applications: but nobody is hiring. . . some places said they wanted older people (21+), others said buisness was too slow, some just plain said NO.

But you shouldn't let your mommy put you down( Thats not what they are supposed to do)! Chin up. . . with some good luck and stick-to-it-iveness, you'll have a job in no time (optimism goes a long way)!

Remember these are tough economic times, it has nothing to do with you personally. . . so stay tough mmnkay?

- Response by gmnikissz, A Creative, Female, 22-25, New York, Student

First things first, get over the flu. Don't look for a job when you have visible signs of illness. Since you have family that will help go to one of them and ask for help. Perhaps someone is in a different area with different possibilities. Perhaps someone will have a lawn mower you can use to mow lawns. Be as reasonable as possible without giving away services. With just a lawn mower and weed eater, you can make a pretty good income for yourself. If you have access to a vehicle to take the mower and weed eater elsewhere, put up notices in laundromats.

Alternately, look for a position as a live-in housekeeper or live-in babysitter. It won't pay much because you are getting your room and board in the deal. Don't laugh, it's one way out from under being a burden to anyone in your family and getting out from under your mom's negativity.

- Response by agesago, A Cool Mom, Female, 56-65, Transportation

I have been unemployed since March. I was previously unemployed from last August to October.

Back last september or so, I was sending out half a dozen resume's a week, and getting a phone call or two a week, with an interview sort of monthly.

This time, it is like I send them into a black hole. I am only sending out 4 or 5 a week, since I cannot even find anything to apply to, and I haven't talked to a real person since March. It is depressing.

My brother was out of work for two years. So, there is hope. Just not much. In my case, if it takes two years, I will be 62 then and will just retire. It is really hard to find a job as an old guy. They feel like I cannot do any real work, and the don't want to pay me the minimum, old guy abuse apparently, so they just ignore me.

Good luck to you

Don't worry your alone..
I can't find a job and I have sent out literally 100s of resumes. I am even removing my college education with the hope ill land some pos fast food job.
lately im finding banquet serving useful, try it. I am making "some" money off it.

- Response by hockeykid666, A Guy Critical, Male, 26-28, Toronto, Student

Millions are in the same situation now and it is like a bad dream it just keeps getting worse

It is easy to get depressed in this lousy economy. MY wife & I are in real estate & the mortgage business & both our incomes have gone down to next to nothing. Our loan on our house adjusted & went way up & our savings is long gone. We anticipate losing our house & seeing our credit ruined as we can no longer pay our bills. Sound familiar? I've sent resumes & interviewed & in most cases I'm over-qualified, if that makes sense to anyone looking for a good employee..

I do try to stay positive & think this nitemare has to end at some point. I value my health & think that as long as I have that I'm better off than a lot of people. I've been selling stuff on craigslist & doing odd jobs whenever I can. At some point something good has got to happen, at least that's what I keep telling myself. Next weekend we're having a garage sale & anything we don't really need is going. In July I'm going camping with 2 of my sons just to get away for a few days.

FYI -sending resumes out via fax/email is a complete waste of time. You need to get in front of people in person & dress up as well. I know a few elderly women & have been doing small jobs for them [cleaned up yard last week [$125], fixed a broken garbage disposal for another [$100], etc.

I know its tough, but hang in there and don't let it make you sick. Nothing lasts forever & neither will this. You've got lots of company & there will always be those worse off than yourself.

Take care & god bless.

- Response by hsfbfan, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, San Francisco, Other Profession

Right there with you. Months of unemployment, stress symptoms that manifest physically, hurtful family of whom most are power earners, everyone else seems to be working, overqualified for most, too old to start over, g-friends who leave b/c you're not working. All the advice is good, and am amazed at the folks that can flow with the change and stay positive. Not easy, but helps to read those posts. There are millions of us, but as you say, hard not to feel sad, and in this man's case, shame is the #1 emotion. 2009 is the year of loss. Hang in there, that's all we can do and keep trying, but don't ignore the sadness and shame, it's natural, but so hard to manage. A big hug to you, and it's ok to cry. In Buddhism, they try to teach embracing the negative as part of life, not to be avoided, that you have to feel the pain to move on. But as Americans this is very, very difficult. We may not know each other, but somehow these posts are helpful, from the sad ones, to the keep your chin up ones, they are all needed.

- Response by ctdude1, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55

If you find a answer let me know. I live in Michigan and have been unemployed a long time, so long that I feel worthless, hopeless, and like I am just a burden to family and would be better off gone. I try to hide the feelings when at places for applications or a rare interview, but they can just tell, I don't know what to do anymore, I cannot even fake it for a interview I guess. I get so upset about thinking about it and how greedy most people are I got to go.

- Response by idiompost, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 36-45, Technical