A misunderstanding between yourself and a good friend
Friendship / 12:00 PM - Saturday June 13, 2009

Does it also make you feel good when you can sort out a misunderstanding between yourself and a good friend?

- Asked by askwhatever, A Thinker, Female, 56-65

It always makes you feel good when you can straighten out a misunderstanding with a good friend. I know that for the past two years my best friend and I from childhood have had a misunderstnading and it hasn't been straightened out yet, and that really bothers me. I have called her several times and she hasn't returned my calls. Did she get them? Is she ignoring me?
Do I keep trying? I know it is worth it.

It started when I came home from work one day and her son was sitting out in front of my house in his car. He didn't appear to be too coherent so I told him to get in the house. My son was inside washing dishes and had locked her son out of the house because he said he was really pissed at him. When it all came down to it my friend's son had stole some of my meds and was taking them and snorting them, and had told my son that he got them from his cousin. My son just didn't like the way he had driven him home and he was pissed.

I told her son that he needed to sit down or go lay down and sleep it off a bit, but I needed to call his Mom. He didn't like that and threated to leave. I told him to sit still and just wait because she never has punished the boy so far in his life. I called and her live in boyfriend answered the phone, and when her son realized I was talking to him he got away from me and took off. He knew he would be in trouble now.

I explained the whole thing and when he got to his house of course the boy friend could tell the way he was acting. He found some of my pills on the boy, in the car, and he put them up. When the mother, my friend, was told, she called to find out what had happened and I told her. We didn't know it was my meds until after he was gone.

So all this time has gone by. The kid has been through the service, gotten married, and is expecting a baby. I fell that I missed out on all of that. He lied to his mom and she never spoke to me. My son, who is now friends with him again and went to the wedding and everything, said that she was so upset because I let him drive. That is so untrue. He needs to be honest with his mother. They both asked why I wasn't at the wedding and I told my son that I wasn't invited but I should have been there. I should have been there when my friend lost her dad, like I was when she lost her mother.

What do I do now? I want to talk to her so bad and I am unsure of what to do. I will admit any and all blame. The time has past to put it all behind us. I want to sort out the misunderstanding with my best friend. Can it be done?

I will keep trying. Later gf,
Thundergrl

- Response by thundergrl, A Life of the Party, Female, 46-55, Other Profession

Sorting misunderstandings between friends usually ends up with saying things you don't really mean. Sometimes things left unsaid ARE best. I never feel good about misunderstandings.

- Response by 3wiltedroses, A Player, Female, Who Cares?, Self-Employed

As much as the fact that I am always befuddled when one arises...

- Response by siouxzen, A Career Woman, Female, Who Cares?, Guadalajara, Self-Employed

Yes it does!!I hate being at odds with anyone,,especially a relative or friend....I'll patch it up if I can!!!

- Response by randolph, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 56-65, Artist / Musician / Writer

totally. i hate disharmony. and the stomanch wrenching pains that come along with it. its best to just talk and get to the bottom of it. and you feel like hugging them forever afterwards.

Much better,u cannot buy that feeling u have 2 sort it out to realy know how it feels

- Response by magdik, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Johannesburg, Science / Engineering

It always feel good when a misunderstanding or falling out is resolved and you can continue to enjoy the friendship. The garbage is moved out of the way. You learn more about each other and how you take things. And, where you were sad or hurt, you now have love, peace, and enjoyment. That is always better than having a rift, misunderstanding, not speaking, or, ending the relationship altogether.

Yes, I don't like conflict and if I can clear the air and make things better between us I'm all for that.

Yes, don't want to lose a good friend over BS.

- Response by lifestyle, A Father Figure, Male, 56-65, Houston

Of course it does but sometimes people don't want to clear the air. Sometimes people just choose to be selfish and childish. I have always been the type that can't stand tension and I am the first one to say I am sorry even if I didn't do anything to the person. Sometimes the people in my life we really not my friends in the first place. They just used me.

- Response by debski, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, Detroit, Science / Engineering

Oh, always! The feeling of understanding, especially with someone who is close to you, is great!

- Response by doom2ruler, A Guy Critical, Male, 29-35, Technical