I am making a list of 1,3,5, and 10 year goals.... HELP!
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 7:39 AM - Tuesday June 09, 2009

I am having trouble forming them with meaning. Can any of you help me by giving me some good prompting questions? Any advice on goal setting?

- Asked by simba8231, A Career Woman, Female, 29-35, Other Profession

Goals should compliment one another.What I mean is each goal should set the stage for the next in line to happen more easily.

For example:
1)finish college with a degree in marketing.
2)start an entry level job with a firm that is heavy in training and without heavy demands and pressure.
3)Find a job in which the company is better recognized and though the pressures are greater my work has more air time...can be better seen.
4)Enter into a partnership with someone in our own marketing company.
5)Buy out my partner and own the company
6)Retire

And,keep the goals realistic,don't under achieve but they have to be attainable to you.The most important thing is to know what is and isn't possible for you.But,don't go so far that you hold yourself back either,and only do that with the short term goals because you won't know what abilities you have once you have those additional exsperiences.

- Response by justme38271, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 46-55, Consulting

Simba goal setting is alot like making New Year resolutions..they are noble and well intended but frequently we
make plans that realistically fall by the wayside..Why? Because we seldom make allowances for the economy,health and other set backs. I find it easier to actually plan out on day at a time certain day projects..then mark off whole months devoted to others..If you are very very displined you can then see a pattern and begin to plan out one year,three and five..
A general problem is not allowing yourself enough time or being committed to your final goals.The more control you have the easier..such as payroll deduction for a savings goal. Job and personal goals often require the input from other people..these are very difficult to control as others some times just fizzle out on their end of the commitment..Use a
five year planner to set so9me guide lines..Begin in pencil and adjust as neccesary. I have met many of mine...pm me for more details!

- Response by lady4u, A Married Girl, Female, 56-65, Cincinnati, Who Cares?

Well the 10 year goal for me is the ultimate goal, then I worked out what I needed to do to acieve those goals and put a gtime limit on each one based on how long it would take to achieve (i.e if i needed to go bac to university) and how much it would cost and the time it would take me to save for it. So my 1,3 and 5 year goals are the steps needed to take to achieve the 10 year goal.

Also I've got otherthings I want to do in there as well while working towards the 10 year goal, like within the next 5 years I want to have been to at least 2 different continents.

And finally don't put things on a goal list that you have little control over such as settling down and getting married etc... because those things involve the ideas and theories of another person who may so they might go completely out the window

- Response by psychoticbabe1, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Other Profession

my career goals at these mile markers is to become less and less concerned with my longevity in this particular business, but to achieve four (4) specific goals before i leave on my own volition.

my personal goals at these mile markers is to become less and less dependent and/or co-dependent on others, while becoming more and more self-contained, self-satisfied and self-realized. in order to achieve this goal, i need to conquer the four
(4) habitual interpersonal modalities and never again embrace them as mine.

my love interests at these mile markers much teach me to be more accepting of others, to search deeper for the good in others if it is masked by superficial armor or battle scars, and, above all, to come to love myself ~ not in ego-driven ways ~ but in entirely compassionate and positively reinforcing ways.
i need to come to a place where i truly love myself. at year #(x), i will have achieved (y). by year # (f), i will have achieved goal #(g), etc.

It's okay to make long term goals, but you need to set up some short term attainable goals in-between to help you reach the long ones. We are all in the habit of making lofty goals, but we set ourselves up for failure by not having 1 month, 6 month, reachable milestones for ourselves to keep us motivated.

- Response by stacerpacer, A Married Girl, Female, 36-45, Chicago, Self-Employed

what is it that you want to accomplish, change, and do.

once you know these then you can make a strategy as to how to

reach these goals.

You have to set that goal and stick to going after it and don't give up to get it. Be positive at all times in reaching it.

- Response by lifestyle, A Father Figure, Male, 56-65, Houston

Just list the things you want to accomplish and set a time to accomplish them in

Hi Simba. If I read my bible correctly setting goals only lead to disappointments. Our goal should be the will of God. We can't do anything about yesterday because it is gone forever. We can't do anything about tomorrow because tomorrow never comes. Tomorrow can best be explained like this; Tomorrow is the today we were looking for yesterday. Today is a gift, that is why it is called The Present. Each day pray for God's will to be done in your life and do whatever task assigned you in a manner that Glorifies God. I have learned to do this over the years and found that God has much better goals for my life than I have. I hope this helps. Stay blessed in God's loving peace.

Yours in Christ Jesus
Al White

- Response by mralwhite, A Father Figure, Male, 66 or older, Retired