What do you think when a woman is 5years older than her boyfriend?
Dating / 5:23 AM - Monday June 08, 2009

I am in a relationship with a boy 5years younger than me.I am 31 years old.We are both in love.Do you think we would face the problem if marry??

the most important thing is that you both love eachother very much and that there are no doubts, especially in the one that is younger. there can not be any doubts. i am telling you out of experience, as i was the younger once. if you are both happy and satisfied and are grounded persons that know what you want and where you are then there should be no problems, i mean, no more problems than any other couple that gets married.

- Response by tevo, A Creative, Male, 29-35, Science / Engineering

I only recently found out that my friends wife is 5 years older than he is and they have been married almost 25 years. Age doesn't matter it's all about the people involved and how mature they are. Also matters if they really want to make it work.

- Response by rodir0n, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Sacramento, Managerial

I think that if the two of you make each other happy then you wont have a problem as long as you are both on the same track and he isn't immature. 5 years really isn't that big a difference.

- Response by psychoticbabe1, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Other Profession

No, I see no reason for age related problems. The age difference is not that great AND the ages you are speaking of are not at critical development years. You are both really in the same general age category.

I worked with a guy who was married to a woman who was about 12 years older than him. He was so madly in love with her and treated her like gold. No one cared that she was older, we cared that he was so happy.

- Response by carrie1anne1, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

I don't think the age difference is too much but keep in mind that some say women mature faster than men. However your guy could be the exception to the rule. I think what's more crucial is for you to see how compatible you are, beyond the surface. If you decide to marry, go for premarital counseling so that the important issues like background, family life, money etc are ironed out before hand.

- Response by chocandbling, A Trendsetter, Female, 29-35

I'm older now but when I was in my early 30's (31-32) I was looking at women who were 3-5 years older than me..............I kinda liked the idea........now I'm older again I'm thinking younger but in fact not nearly so much, thats even if I'm thinking about relationships at all.

- Response by spadeace, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Who Cares?

i've dated from 20 years older to 22 years younger. there's no problem with a 5 year gap at your ages. enjoy yourselves and keep communicating and showing each other that you love one another. it will all be fine!

I don't see where a problem would arise unless you mean children. I think that if you two are in love then he could be mature enough for the responsibilty of kids.

- Response by genericname, A Father Figure, Male, 36-45, Other Profession

I wonder why you call him a boy if he is 26 years old. 5 years is not a big difference but maturity could be an issue. If you want children your best child bearing years are now and he may not be ready for a family to support. Rosey

yes there will always be people who wil oppose yoour relationsip.. if you dont care what they think motor on

- Response by A Career Man, Male, 46-55, New York, Who Cares?

not much any different than when a guy is older than his girlfriend or wife.

- Response by usarmy24id, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 36-45, Celebrity

I don't see the problem with that at all, however you did call him a "boy"...if he acts like a boy, then maybe, but...in all honesty age is mind over matter - if you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

- Response by goldielocks99, A Sportif, Female, 29-35

No more problems than any other good marriage. My friends (3) married men five to seven years younger. Marriages have lasted 27, 29, and 30 years. Why would anyone care about age anyhow.

- Response by achymay, Female, 66 or older

There shouldn't be a problem with that age difference. The only possible problem could be, do you have a problem with it?

- Response by kimberlyzen, A Sportif, Female, 36-45, Technical

Nothing wrong with it.

- Response by lifestyle, A Father Figure, Male, 56-65, Houston

Depends. Eventually it might become a problem. One or two years aint so bad but 5 might push it. My wife's about 1yr 4 months older than me and we aren't complaining.

- Response by katman9x, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Medical / Dental

If you go out at least 2 to 3 years, then marriage would be no problem. It really depends on the maturity of both partners. But, five years is not a big gap. In fact, I knoew a couple that married and is going strong, with a 7 year gap -- woman older. ;)

- Response by travelchic, A Creative, Female, 29-35, Self-Employed

Don't know...My aunt married someone 5 yrs younger. My friend just did the same...I've always thought not to get involved with someone who is that much younger than me but who knows...Things change.

- Response by marycherry, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Fitness

If he was 17 and you were 22, yes. But at your ages, you're both adults, and 5 years should be no big deal.

Psh no. Love is love.

- Response by mlcoast2, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 22-25

Do what makes YOU happy... To hell with everyone else.

- Response by depecheduran, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Other Profession

I don't think about it at all. We all grow and mature at different rates, and a little increment like five years is barely a blip on the radar screen. I don't even have much to say about those whose ages are as much as 30 years apart. It works for them!

rek

That's just about an ideal scenario. Did you know that the average life expectancy of men is about five years younger than that of women? According to the actuarial tables, if you want to stand a chance of going the life-long distance with some guy, with neither of you being left alone for several years when you are elderly, a woman should hook up with a guy who is *precisely* five years younger than her.

- Response by pandorasfault, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Teaching

Seriously if the two of you have common interests and are happy together does it really matter?? At 32 I was dating a guy who was only 24 and things were fine for a while. I really don't think you would face any troubles with getting married if you are both on the same page maturity wise. Remember your 20's?? If he has "sown his oats" and is ready to take the plunge then by all means do it. I just hope some day he doesn't come to resent you for "stealing his youth" and some of the experiences he would have like to have. Good luck with everything!

- Response by punkylz, A Cool Mom, Female, 36-45, Internet / New Media

What the hell difference does this make??? Would this even be an issue at all if the genders were reversed?? NO

Dont worry about it. I like a guy who is 11 years my junior, we are both adults and who give a good g-damn - ya know??? Women are in a position now to do exactly what men have been doing throughout the ages - dating someone younger. It is not the age - it is the person!!!!!!! Period.

- Response by ziongirl, A Trendsetter, Female, 46-55

it's really not a big deal....i've dated men 10 yrs younger then me. my cousins wife is 5 yrs older then him and they have been married for 17yrs this year.

I am in love with a someone that is 9 years younger than me. It hasn't worked out because he is too immature at 28. So if it works you guys, why not?? Who cares what anyone else thinks.

- Response by debski, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, Detroit, Science / Engineering

i dont think its that big of a deal. your friends might be a little curious about why. but, i think, when you get older ages kind of even out. it would be very bizarre if you were 18 and he was 13. and you arent old enough to be a cougar. but i dont think this is wrong. its more about maturity. i am 19 with a 28 year old bf. i dunno if im mature or hes immature, either way, we are happy :)

good luck!! :D
good luck

- Response by undercoverpenislover, A Hippie Chick, Female, 22-25, Chicago, Who Cares?

I don't think five years is enough to worry about at all. Going towards 10 maybe would be where you should have more concern, or think it through more. But five is just too small to even care. You guys will be fine.

- Response by wendylyn, A Thinker, Female, 36-45

My first suggestion for you is to not to refer to him as a boy, this will get under his skin no matter how comfortable he is with the age difference. Afterall at 26 you he is a man, not a boy. With that said I don't think there is anything wrong with dating a younger man, but then again I married a man 6 yrs younger then me. Seeing as you are only 31 I don't see where the two of you would have any problems with regards to your age difference.

I will be 36 in a few months so the whole family planning talk was put on the fast track for us. I think as long as you talk about these issues beforehand there should be no big problems.

is he into AC/DC?

I think if you are fishing for cradle robber comments you need to date younger - Like showing up at his prom younger. Calling him a boy is a nice touch though.

5 years? Why are you even wasting time writing in about this!? My guy is 12 years younger than me, and neither one of us worry about it. However, if he should decide he wants to be a daddy, then we will have a problem cause I ain't having CRAP! (It's not that I can't, and women in my family tend to stay healthy and fertile well into their 5th decade, but I don't WANT no baby!)

That would be our only bone of contention. But he is extremely wise for his age and has lived more of a hard life than I would ever wish on anyone. Most of the time he seems older, wider and more mature than me! :/

- Response by A Trendsetter, Female, 46-55, San Francisco, Self-Employed

My spouse is 5 years younger. By age 26 he had 3 children by me. But just as with men who marry much younger women I think at least in my case women marry younger because it upsets the power and control dynamic. Alot of women get tired of men trying to run the show and dominate and they prefer men a bit younger because they have less of a tendency to attempt to take over. BUT that can prove a double edged sword because you can end up with a partner who is actually conflict advoidant and passive agressive in the way they deal with problems in the relationship. The partnership can start to take on a female parent/male child kind of pattern which isn't a real favorable thing for a women who was looking for an equal.

- Response by joybird, A Hippie Chick, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

After a certain age, gaps in age difference don't matter as much. When you are say 16 and dating a 21 year old, yeah there might be something wrong with that. But 31 and 36, no. 45 and 50, not at all. 72 and 77, if you're still playing the game at that age god bless you...

One thing, referring to him as a 'boy' doesn't help the situation. You need to see him as a man, and treat him at an equal. If you can't, and see him as a younger, inexperienced boy, then your chances are success are slim.

- Response by whatthef, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45

my last girlfriend was 10 years older then me....we were together for 9 years. biologically speaking the woman can expect on average to live 7 years longer then men in general do...so a five to 7 year difference is about perfect actually.....because to me the idea of a life long love followed by a very short seperation between death is wonderfully romantic. I would hate to be without my love for a long time.

- Response by sirkermittsg, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Dallas, Transportation

i think they in love and won't let anything to come between them nevertheless age difference

- Response by magdik, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Johannesburg, Science / Engineering

Age is not big thing as long u guys love each other... all will be fine.. age is only number, 24 , 26.....

- Response by baliku, A Career Woman, Female, 29-35, Bali