My boyfriend tends to call me stupid, dumb and says all i do is complain..
Sex & Intimacy / 11:24 AM - Monday June 01, 2009

my boyfriend tends to call me stupid, dumb and says all i do is complain..

then when i tell him to stop being rude, walk out or become distant towards him he asks whats wrong and i explain to him that im sick of being called stupid etc. He then responds with the "i was just kidding" line, but he does it everyday/everynight. If he does it constantly doesnt this mean something? isent he being serious?

regardless of if he's serious or not, its verbal abuse, and needs to stop. use THOSE exact words next time he does at and tell you will walk away next time he abuses you.

He calls you names?

And you're still with him?

Door mat much?

Mature people do not tolerate being called names by their partner.

Dump him and choose more carefully in the future.

Even if he is kidding, he is still being didrespectful of you. And there is no reason for you to take it.

- Response by loseing, A Guy Critical, Male, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

no one should ever call you stupid or dumb even once let alone every day. It seems as though he just doesn't get it and not that he's purposely being abusive. A lot of people grow up in households where it doesn't mean anything to tell someone constantly negative things. They don't do it to keep someone down, it's just habit. HOWEVER, there is no excuse if you've made it clear that it hurts and he still does it. If there is no attempt to change the behavior, then he doesn't really care enough to do so. I would perhaps sit him down one more time (after he's done it again) and explain to him that you are not willing to put up with this and that if he doesn't change the behavior, you will move on... without him. He'll probably tell you, that you are making a big deal out of nothing but if he cares about you, he'll try and spare your feelings anyway and he'll stop it. Be prepared to walk away if he doesn't change. you deserve better and he needs to learn.

- Response by joent612, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Tampa, Administrative

Yeah, it means it's time for you to find another boyfriend... unless this one will apologize for his bad behavior (admit to it without the lame I was joking excuse, which I don't buy) and never do it again (which I doubt he will...sounds like he either has no respect for you or just no respect for women).

- Response by solstess, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Detroit, Artist / Musician / Writer

Bullshit....this is not acceptable! You need to get out of this sick, unhealthy, and disrespectful relationship.

Do you really think you deserve to be spoken to that way and treated like crap? Move on!

- Response by divatoonami, A Trendsetter, Female, 36-45, Administrative

Your boyfriend is a verbally abusive. I don't care if he claims he's kidding, if you stated that you don't like it or it hurts your feelings and he hasn't stop he's not concerned about your feelings. You deserve someone who will treat you better.

- Response by cocoacurevelous, A Hip Hop Girl, Female, 46-55, Administrative

It isn't very funny and he knows it. You should tell him the names hurt and if he continues the abuse you are done with him. rosey

Hon, you are involved with a 'Control Freak', that has no respect for you. My adv. "Run from him like a rat running from a burning building"...

- Response by billpayer, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 66 or older, Who Cares?