What do you think about men over 35 that live at home with their Mom, or their parents? Would you
Dating / 5:24 AM - Monday June 01, 2009

date a man over 35 living with a parent (s)?

- Asked by travelchic, A Creative, Female, 29-35, Self-Employed

depends on his situation...I did once...he was not that old by 3 years...never married, no kids..just spoiled and completely immature..he racked up over 50k in credit card debt and spent on his self like crazy...it didn't last...I didn't want to take on his debts...he wanted commitment...couldn't do it..

however, some men at this age have gone through divorce they loose everything and it's a devastation financially for them so they have no choice but to start from scratch...if this is the case then I would be more flexible...

but not if he's just looking for someone to get him out of debt

- Response by sushihoney, A Cool Mom, Female, 36-45, Las Vegas, Other Profession

Truthfully, probably not, unless there was a particularly valid reason for him living with his parents. If he'd just never left, I doubt I'd date him, if he'd gone home to either care for them when he was ill, or after some sort of personal crisis, I'd certainly consider it.

- Response by loulou444, An Alternative Girl, Female, 36-45, Financial / Banking

Good Morning.. :)

My sister lives with my Mom, and has been for a few years now.
She had to move out of her apartment because it was being sold as condo's, and it wasn't a choice for her at the time to buy it, and stay there, so she moved home.
She has since, purchased a vacation home in Maine, for investment purposes.
She is 40, and single and has dated a few men over the years.I don't think her living arrangements has affected her single life.
I guess for me, if a man still lived at home at 35 or older, I wouldn't think it is necessarily a bad thing..
There are different scenarios as to why someone would be living with their parents..
To save money, take care of a parent(s) with failing health, or investment/financial gain like my sister, etc..

- Response by surfsup, A Career Woman, Female, 46-55, Self-Employed

Depends on whether the man is there because it's a stop gap. I know men in their thirties and forties that have been through bad divorces and have ended up at home until the get their act together. then there are the men who have never grown up. They are either desperate to get out and will throw themselves at any woman, or they are never going to move on because they are still in a twilight zone of permanent childhood.

- Response by music1358, A Creative, Male, 46-55, Sydney, Artist / Musician / Writer

Well, I personally wouldn't date a man still living with his parents at any age! (just joking around this early morning)

Personally, it would depend on the situation. If the guy is 35 and STILL living with his parents (meaning, he never moved out), then I would be very concerned. I think most men look forward to venturing out on their own.....perhaps not right at 18, but by at least the age of 24-25.

If, however, he went through some rough times and had to move in with his parents until he got back on his feet - I see no problem with that, but I would think the phrase "short term" needs to be involved.

- Response by ecgjyt, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 36-45, Medical / Dental

you never know the situation.... judge him on him not on what his situation could be. maybe he lost his job or became homeless for a certain reason beyond his control.

- Response by pepperman46, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55

I think its healthy for a man or woman to leave home before 35 and to want to not live with Mom or parents. It is just part of growing up to want to do so...I never really was attracted to the type of man who wouldn't want his independence. Rosey

Doubt it...unless he was there to help care for aging parents or something like that. Otherwise I would assume he had maturity issues.

BTW, I have a brother in law who is 33 and terrified of leaving his parents' house. He will tell you that he's just afraid. Would you want to date someone like that? Nah ;)

- Response by kaffroake, A Creative, Female, 29-35

Is the man living with one of his parents or is the parent living with him? Makes a difference in my mind ...

- Response by wetwired, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 29-35, New York, Who Cares?

I always though it was a little odd as I could not wait to be out on my own I moved out at 17

a leech, cheap kid.
I would understand if he moves back in bc of a temporary situation like a sick mother needs someone until he finds a good nurse but!

No. Here's two really good reasons. A.) He seems like a lazy slacker who still wants his mom to do his laundry. B.) Because he's such a slacker, he'll feel inadequate on my strive for a great career.
You can't be with someone who drags you down. Ask my friend who has an associates as a paralegal, but lives in a trailor with a lay around boyfriend who doesn't give a shit about her.

- Response by careergirl08, A Sportif, Female, 22-25

Stud Muffin was living with his parents when we first met. He had just returned to our city, for a job, and hadn't found his own place yet.

- Response by cubbiegal, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Chicago, Administrative

I know 3 guys who are in this situation each with his own reason.
1. going through the process of divorce.
2. Sold his house at the right time, and helping out his Mom after his Dad died.
3. Father has cancer, and lost his job in this recession.

I think they are Mummies boys and a bit sad. Frnakly if they havent flown the nest by then they will be a nightmare in a relationship long term coz they are used to being pampered by mummy! I just wouldn't go there!

- Response by fluffylamb112, An Alternative Girl, Female, 46-55, London, Political / Government

If mom is sick or the son is sick or somehow there is a disruption to either family unit then this is ok temporarily...if he is just a dumb ass moma's boy living at home then he is pathetic and will never be fit to leave and be with his own family...if he has been there that long.

I would not date a man in any of the situations above as it means he is not settled and has very serious issues to work thru first before he could possibly focus on romance.

- Response by clip22, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, Executive

No way. My boyfriend is 26 and still living at home while he goes to school. I told him he must be out of there ( living with me) by 30 otherwise he's a loser.

- Response by ecpjll, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Halifax

I think it depends on the man. In today's ecomoney it makes sense for their to be a muli-generation household. Often times the man is divorced and needs help getting back on his feet or he may need help raising his children while he works. Maybe he lost his job and can't pay the high rent for a house or appartment, or maybe his parents are sick and need caring for. Most times if a man is living at home he pay's some kind of rent and utilities. I don't tend to be harsh about men moving back home unless of course all they want is to be little boys, whose mama & daddy does everything for them including paying their bills. Otherwise I don't think there is really anything wrong with a man living with his mom or parents.

- Response by mysticdream44, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 56-65, Who Cares?

nope.. not ever

Im totally agreeing with the fact that it just depends on the situation-where it could be illness or loss of job due to the economy or others situations that are temporary. A grown man just living with his parents that it comfortable that way and see no reason to change -could lead to problems but it's all up to the person and what they are willing to deal with.

- Response by A Sweet Sarah, Female, 29-35, Columbus, Artist / Musician / Writer

i have been dating a 42 yr old for 5 years...and he will not want to move out. he is way too spoiled. has a part time job, doesnt pay rent or groceries. doesnt own a car nor does he drive. he spends his money on himself. yes i know, im an idiot to have tolerated it for 5 years...but im done. time to move on!!! and date a REAL MAN!!

- Response by A Trendsetter, Female, 46-55, Toronto, Administrative