For dog people -is there an inexpensive way to euthanize your pet when the time comes?
Pets / 6:10 PM - Tuesday May 26, 2009

Our family dog is approaching 18 and her condition has slowly been getting worse. My wife & I don;t want to see her miserable & know we have to do something soon. We called vets & its around $300 for them to give them a shot to put them to sleep [don't want to sound cheap, but we've got terrible financial problems right now].
We have tranquilizers from her grooming sessions of which 1/2 a pill knocks her out for a full day.
I suggested that 2 of these would be all it takes, but my wife is real nervous about what could happen.

Any advice really appreciated.

Update: May 26, 2009.
Thx for all the good replies to my question about our dog, esp.the SPCA as this had not occurred to me. After reading them you've convinced me not to attempt to doing it myself [I guess once again my wife was right]. BTW - our dog April is a female "maltipoo" about 8 lbs.[x-breed maltese & poodle]- best pet we ever had.

- Asked by hsfbfan, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, San Francisco, Other Profession

Call your local ASPCA anonymously, and explain that you do not have the money to euthanize your pet. You are not alone in this economy as many people have totally abandoned their pets because of lack of funds.
I am pretty sure they will take care of the matter. Perhaps you could volunteer some time for them in return?
Sorry about your dog.

- Response by A Married Girl, Female, 56-65, Artist / Musician / Writer

CALL YOUR LOCAL HUMANE SOCIETY!! For a small fee, I'm sure the vets there could do the job. Do NOT attempt to euthanize your dog yourselves!

Either call the human society, or explain the siutation to the vet. Perhaps he would be kind enough to prescribe the correct dosage that would put her to sleep for good.

I'm sorry about your dog. You are doing the right thing by ending her suffering.

- Response by myndseye711, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Vladivostok, Celebrity

I understand that economics plays into this decision for you and your family. I would suggest calling the Humane Society or Local Shelter. DO NOT attempt what you suggest above--you owe it to your dog to do it humanely, not haphazardly and hope for the outcome. You can also call around to other veterinary clinics to price compare and/or talk to your Vet and see if something can be worked out.

She has given you 18 great years...give her dignity and compassion. Good luck =0/

- Response by uasked, A Career Woman, Female, 56-65, Retired

Being close to canines myself, I worry about what will happen if it ever becomes time to put down my dog. The old fashioned way would be to be merciful and just use a bullet to the base of the skull as the spinal entry. Or between the eyes. But it's classified as inhumane. Outside of that, any overdose of tranqs will do it, just understand that it's going to take a serious overdose, not just 2 pills unless we're talking about a chihuahua.

- Response by doom2ruler, A Guy Critical, Male, 29-35, Technical

Ah, geezzzz, don't do it that way! Your wife is right. You can't be certain that the dog will really pass after being given a bunch of dope. In addition, it could take a long time and the dog could suffer. Don't be so cruel.

Go to the local ASPCA or your local City/County pound and have them do it. It is NOT $300 to do this. I suspect that $300 also covers disposal of the pet too. Do you intend on taking the pet home for burial? I'm surprised your vet won't give you a break on the price, especially if you're been a client for many years.

SPCA or the humane soc... and find another vet. $300 is stupid expensive for a shot of blue phenobarb solution......

BTW, for it not to hurt the dog, it needs to be in the vein.

oh my gawd 18!!!

What kind of dog is it?

- Response by georgiagirl404, A Hippie Chick, Female, 22-25