How long does caffeine stay in your body?
Diet & Health / 5:16 AM - Tuesday May 26, 2009

Yesterday I bought and espresso shake from a coffee shop, something I've had before. Normally, it doesn't give me any trouble, but this one was extremely caffeine-laden for some reason. It caused this busy feeling in my body. I am kind of upset because it was not my intention to overdose on caffeine, I was just looking forward to enjoying something I normally equate to coffee ice cream.

Anyways, I haven't slept all night and I drank this shake at 1:30pm. I was reading that caffeine normally takes about 6 hours to leave my body's system, but I feel like the effects from that shake are still being processed (it's 4:20 am). Why is this taking so long and how can I remove the caffeine from my system faster? (I"m not pregnant, not on any medication, and I weigh about 115lbs).

- Asked by A Player, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

As long as caffeine is in your blood, it's effects will also manifest.

The time it takes for the body to eliminate one half of a caffeine dose is normally between 3 to 12 hours. It is called the half-life of caffeine.

Well it is a drug they say... I have been drinking way too much coffee too... Hence I am now awake again and can't sleep... Argh! Guess we're in the same boat... So how can we cut back when it's just so darn good?!

- Response by timeforanoverhaul, A Father Figure, Male, 36-45, Managerial

It sounds as though you are blaming the espresso for something that may be unrelated to your insomnia and jitters. When in doubt, see a doctor.

- Response by agesago, A Cool Mom, Female, 56-65, Transportation

Just wait it out. You should be feeling fine later in the day. Did you have anything else to add on to the caffeine? I would stay away from this type of drink if this annoys you like it did.

- Response by peanut1, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Administrative