What do you wear to meet your boyfriend's friends for the first time?
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 1:37 PM - Saturday May 23, 2009

I want to look pretty but not too over-the-top. This is also the first time I'll see his house. He's cooking me dinner, and then his friends are coming over for a bonfire.

Should I bring something if he's cooking me dinner? He told me not to, but I feel like it's polite.

Update: May 23, 2009.
Thank you everyone for your responses! I wish I could give you all stars!

- Asked by A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Boston, Student

I feel if someone asked you not to bring something, you should oblige them. I think it's not polite to ruin their plans. For a bonfire I would wear nice jeans and a pretty top, bring a sweater along in case of skeeter's.

- Response by solstess, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Detroit, Artist / Musician / Writer

Full battle armour. Take some Mustard.

Just wear something casual since you're going to be going to a bonfire.

Shorts and a t-shirt with some sandals sound fine to me. But maybe that's just my style.

You could always help him in the kitchen while he's cooking. :)

- Response by desota18, A Creative, Male, 22-25, Student

Wear something comfy that you feel good in. Casual, as its an in home dinner with a bon fire after. Jeans/shorts depending on the weather, and a nice top. Mostly, its important that you wear your smile. :)

I wouldn't worry about bringing anything, but if you wanted to, you could offer to bring s'more fixings for the bon fire...or at least marshmellows. Have fun! :)

Wear what you would have worn not knowing anyone else was coming.

Take a bottle of wine if you are old enough to buy such things. If not, bring some sparkling cider.

- Response by agesago, A Cool Mom, Female, 56-65, Transportation

Just jeans and a cute top should be fine... bonfires aren't very formal. Most guy friends just want to relax and have a good time. If you showed up in a dress and heels and whatnot, they'd just be confused more than anything else.

- Response by melancholymoose, An Alternative Girl, Female, 26-28, Atlanta, Student