What do you think of the 3 strike felony rule?
Race, Religion & Politics / 10:13 AM - Thursday May 21, 2009

Putting people in jail for life after they have done there 3rd felony? This one guy there talking about giving him life. Because he killed his girl friend dog. He is 41 and comitted two felonys before. So if this counts as his third he will get put away forever. I think he should get prison time but to be locked up till he dies.

Update: May 21, 2009.
If you put them in jail for life are taxes would be paying anyway. Also some of the lawsuit are not wrong. Some of them hold water. Some appeals have to be done because innocent people are sitting in jail. Right now there are some innocent people. Probably more than you think. Maybe like 500 people in all of the US States. But probably more. If they didn't do it they have the right to appeal. Would you want go to prison for a crime you didn't do?

Update: May 21, 2009.
I love animals too. But my point is he wouldnt be locking at life if he lived in another state. One that didn't have 3 strike law. Sure he should get locked up in put in prison. Also I take in the dogs age. But they just take in the statute getting 6-7 years. I Are 3-6 years. But this life at 41 is to long. I also think some people love animals more than people. Yes I am sure some people want to kill him already. But two wrongs dont make a right.

Update: May 21, 2009.
Also for this crime. There is no plea deal. What if someone does a crime because they are straving and we call it a felony. Than they do two other felonys. So if it was me I wouldnt say ok you can put me in jail for life. Than they give you a court appointed attorney and if he says lets plead guilty you get life in prison and he gets paid? He suppose to defend you.

Update: May 21, 2009.
I think the pushiment doesn't fit the crime. Not all states have this rule. Maybe the courts will overturn it. This isn't baseball its a person life. I guess when it effects somebody you love are own family member you would feel differently about it. Maybe I am wrong. I can see this guy getting 7 years in prison but life. I think its going to start getting overturned it does take state money to keep them in jail.

- Asked by twilightzone85, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35, Milwaukee, Food Service

I think its uncivilized. Punishment should fit the crime, wasn't there a guy who faced life in prison for stealing a pizza and it happened to be his third offence? A civilized society treats its lawbreakers more humanely than that. It all came about because of a mass panic over crime - sure crime levels were high at the time, and some people's reaction was to "get tough on criminals" by imposing harsher and harsher penalties. There is no indication that the harsh penalties worked, other states that didn't have 3-strike rules saw declines in crime the same as 3-strike states did, the decline was universal. But its not politically popular to argue that we should be more civilized and humane - you get accused of being soft on crime, of coddling criminals. So in order to satisfy the public's panic, we lock up some poor loser types for life.

- Response by xerxes, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Washington, DC, Lawyer

I think it's AWESOME that he'll be locked up for life.

I work my ass off and pay taxes and abide by the law. Then this idiot commits multiple felonies, and I have to pay for lawyers, judges and for his upkeep in prison? I have zero sympathy for people like this.

He killed an innocent living thing that could not defend itself. He's a p*ssy. I hope Bubba gives it to him good for the rest of his days.

- Response by myndseye711, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Vladivostok, Celebrity

The 3 strike rule was legalized because generally well-behaved people were getting sick of punks getting away with crime with only a slap on the wrist. People are tired of being victimized by repeat offenders. The better question is " Why don't criminals straighten up thier act?" I mean, wow, we give them 3 chances which is much more liberal that alot of other countries.

- Response by grammapris, A Married Girl, Female, 46-55, Retired

And if they gave him a fourth chance...what would he kill next time?

- Response by A Married Girl, Female, 56-65, Artist / Musician / Writer

its the best thing since sliced bread. lock the criminal up for life! bastard dog killer!

I have no sympathy for this guy. He killed his girlfriend's defenseless dog. I'd lock him up on the first strike.

- Response by majicou, A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?

I agre with the rule. Three crime and three strike outs. These criminals are career criminals.

I like it.

He obviously hasn't learned from his mistakes. I don't care about the dog. I care about the evil mentality of someone who would kill an animal to punish a person.

come spend a week with me in court. not everybody who goes to prison is innocent. and NOT ALL lawsuits filed from jail are necessary. I appreciate your passion on the issue, but you're just a bit naive regarding the process. a good lawyer can get this guy off his third felony thing. and just because you only know about his third felony, you don't know that he has 78 other entries for other things.

- Response by busyb704, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Other Profession

Now that we have made even simple crimes felony's the 3 strike law should not apply, for instance it is a felony to have a radar detector in your car in one state Va I think may be the state

Well regardless of what the thrid crime actually was, he knew he had already committed two felonies and that the third would result in life in prison. He obviously has self control issues so I say he deserves what he's getting.

- Response by kaffroake, A Creative, Female, 29-35

I don't think the 3 strike felony rule makes sense. The punishment should fit the crime. No matter if it is the first, second, third, or 15th felony.

Maybe people will stop taking crime so lightly. If you can't reason like a normal, rational human being that the consequence of committing 3 felonies equals life behind bars, you really deserve to be there.

However I liked foonlord's idea of grouping it into violent and non-violent crimes.

- Response by number22, A Life of the Party, Female, 22-25, Detroit, Self-Employed

As much as I advocate animal rights, I dislike the felony rule as a rule.

In the first place--it's terribly racist. There are many black people locked up for life because they get slapped with felony charges that would be misdemeanors for white people.

In the second place--it doesn't make sense in most of its applications. There are so many better uses for the money needed to support an incarcerated person for life, and so many people are incarcerated unfairly anyway. The three strikes rule just makes a bad situation (e.g. our criminal justice system is racist and whimsical) worse.