Is dating someone eight or nine years older than you a bad thing?
Dating / 2:41 AM - Saturday May 16, 2009

I am 25, I have two boys. A one year old and a three year old for the same person. The father steadily cheated on me and I never really dated. The new person is 33 and has three kids.

Its not the age difference that matters...

Its how the two of you figure out how to work out the logistics of your 5 kids, and life in general. Figure that out, and you'll be fine.

I don't see a problem. hes still young. and he may be mature so its a good thing.

Sweetie age is just a number, as long as he treats you and your kids right, and he make you happy, I dont see what the problem is,go for it

- Response by apherditie02, A Hippie Chick, Female, 29-35, Therapist

8 or 9 years is not too bad, it can actually be a good thing. The problem here is that you have two children and it seems that you had a troubled relationship with their father and that you don't have much dating experience. I would advice to you that you take some time to yourself before you start dating again, and when you do date take things slow, don't jump into anything too fast.

- Response by A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Los Angeles, Financial / Banking

No. Dating someone eight or nine years older is not a bad thing. But, keep in mind that they can be just as immature and irresponsible as a person ten years younger.

Don't let numbers confuse the issue or give you false expectations about him. What kind of a father IS HE to his children? What ended his marriage? Does he provide for HIS children? What has he done with his life as far as a career and/or job goes?

Don't give him any free passes. This is YOUR life and the life of your two children than you are thinking about tossing the dice with. THINK before you do anything serious. Do not ASSUME that because this man is older, he is therefore smarter or more prepared to deal with raising a family.

Use YOUR BRAIN and you will be just fine. Learn from past mistakes and don't let this man convince you of anything that you CANNOT SEE. Do you understand what I am trying to tell you?

Make HIM "Walk the Walk." Just "Talking the Talk" doesn't get anywhere!

Good luck to you and your little family. It is all up to YOU now. :)

Go for it, give him a right royal affection and wait for the reward

8 or 9 years is fine. Just make sure he's a good guy, that you're truly compatible, and that you take things slowly, always putting your children first. :)

no problem. i've dated from 20 years older to 22 years younger. and currently in a relationship with one 15 years younger. there is a lot to be said about older men. they are less likely to stray, more passionate, more financially stable and more considerate.