I want to change my life, I need security, Financial, am I selfish for wanting this?
Married Life / 2:03 AM - Friday May 15, 2009

I think I need to spread my wings and do it on my own. I am 41 and I feel that when I am single I am for adventurous and happier. Have you ever felt that way when you were without a companion?

- Asked by cococrispy68, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Sacramento, Home Maker

Definitely, that's why I'm 47 and have been single for awhile now. But I think that with the right partner, being part of a couple would be even more satisfying. The thing to do is to acheive financial and other security on your own, while also enjoying your freedom and independence. Then, settle down with someone you can enjoy being adventurous with - not because you need to be with them, but because you want to, and you have more fun with them than without them.

Financial security is not a need, Ms.Coco. Its a requirement. Being single have a lot of pros to it. enjoy saving & freedom to spend in ways u choose, without intereference & need to comply or fulfil. Enjoy!

- Response by willspencer, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35, Milan, Managerial

You'd be a fool if you didn't want those things. I have been without a companion for many years and I still want those things and don't feel at all selfish.

- Response by A Life of the Party, Female, Who Cares?, Other Profession

I am always happier single. It is an odd thing. I guess I've seen my family members so miserable in their relationships, and some of my own that it is so much better to be me and alone. Someday, I am hoping that will change. But for now, I f'in love it!

- Response by ashmcawesome, An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35

sorry I am the other way. I live for the love of a woman. I would rather face the wrath and fire of a dragon's breath for the ones I love, then be ecstatic and alone.

- Response by hoopsjunkie, A Rebel, Male, 46-55, Indianapolis, Self-Employed

all the time. I have been divorced for over 7 years and I will never go back to the bickering outlandish expectations. Even though there are times when I miss being exclusive, I am done with making decisions that effect others than myself. And I dont like others having expectations of me that I am not willing to meet.

- Response by realman2000, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 29-35, Norfolk, Medical / Dental

I had a companion that was wonderful. We were a team and we supported each other and we had shared goals. Somewhere along the line we stopped being in synch. At that point it was time for me to be on my own. There is no point to have a companion that is a weight. The only point of companion is be make you your personal best and visa versa. If that is not happening then go for it on your own.

- Response by marcias, An Alternative Girl, Female, 56-65, Denver, Self-Employed

If you are dating that is fine. If you are married that is outrageous. What benefits a man (or woman) to gain the whole world but in doing so lose his (or her) soul?

- Response by 1bigstick4u, A Life of the Party, Male, 29-35, Law Enforcement

When I've felt this way, I also feel like I'm being selfish. However, being with someone seems to divide my energy rather than double it. I think some people were born to on their own in life, and most were born to be with someone. It's like being in a relationship holds me back rather than making my life more complete.

That may be selfish, but that's were I'd like to be most of the time.

- Response by bob49, A Rebel, Male, 56-65, Seattle, Transportation

If you fall you hurt your bum , a nice cushion is a few bob in the bank