I'm so depressed I can't work anymore...
Career / 8:36 PM - Thursday May 14, 2009

I know this sounds pathetic, but there have been some events in my life that have caused me to sink into a pretty deep depression. I've tried meds and they make me feel like I want to kill myself. So I stopped taking them. Now I'm on anti anxiety meds. I keep falling apart and can't even fathom working. I have bills and rent to pay and I'm going to end up on the street. I don't know what to do anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions. I have a safety sensitive job and disclosing my condition will end my career. Everything is so messed up right now, this should be the happiest time of my life and its a flippin disaster. Please help!

I was depressed since the age of 14 through 21. Just about 7 years. There were times that I wanted to kill myself and thought about it. I was struggling with the person I was and dealing with my challenges that I had to deal with. After my first serious relationship with my ex Fiancee I became a better person, happy and much more positive. I am not really sure what happened really but the things that I wanted in my life finally came. I started to appreciate things I have and thought more positive towards about everything in my life. At first it was pretty hard because I was not use to thinking so positive. After that it became so easy like eating a piece of strawberry.
The biggest quote that I tell my friends is this,"You have the power to make yourself happy, no one else can but yourself." It is true, I was miserable with my ex and I didn't really needed a man to make my complete of fully happy! My life changed. I have more friends, tons of friends to be exact! When I was a depressed person I had like one or two friends. Now I have like 20 good friends! So I am thankful for that.
So start looking yourself in the mirror and say positive things about yourself and your appearance. Then start appreciating the things that you have for instance your job! That you are able to have a job! That you are able to wipe your own ass. Your best friend. Your cat or dog or even your turtle if you have one. Appreciate the little things. Human beings always want more this and that. They compare themselves what they don't have. Appreciate what you DO HAVE! Start thinking positive, it may seem a little corny but to be honest I haven't been depressed since I was 21 except a few weeks ago when I was missing my friends in San Francisco while I was on PMS on a rainy day! So start thinking positive.

- Response by A Trendsetter, Female, 29-35, New York, Fashion

Depression is the absence of joy in your life.Stir yourself and find some joy.
My happiness and joy comes from Jesus.
Call on Him...He loves you too!

- Response by randolph, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 56-65, Artist / Musician / Writer

try a different anti-depressant medication

take care of yourself. That means get regular exercise---even if it is just a walk around the block.
Take fish oil supplements or eat salmon 2-3 times per week
Drink a lot of water
Eat whole foods
Do not drink alcohol

- Response by meowmeowww, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

Wow. Hon, I hear you---but sincerely, there is truly no way for anyone here to REALLY be able to help you.

It sounds like there are some deep underlying reasons for this depression and/or anxiety---and you need to find someone or some way to get to the root of the matter.

How can we help you do that? I suggest that you seek a holistic health practitioner who works on more than the physical level---mental, emotional, spiritual, physical---you need to address the WHOLE 'enchilada' as it were.

((((((((((((((SUPER OCELOT HUG)))))))))))))))))))

don't give up! there ARE folks in your area who can help...you just need to connect with the right ones.

- Response by ocelotspot, A Hip Hop Girl, Female, Who Cares?, Other Profession

First of all I am so very sorry that you are hurting. Take stock in your life, take up a journal to keep track of your feelings and write your story down about the events that have knocked you off course. Yes, you may truly be clinically depressed. It's time to go back to your counselor who can prescribe a different med. If after about 2 months if you see absolutely no improvement, try another one and be persistent.

You should also have your complete bloodwork done to rule out any underlying causes of your depression. Certain foods can raise your moods. It's ok to have a little bit of candy and chocolate now and then - they really do make you feel better.

Exercise is essential for the depressed. It gets you going and out in the fresh air, the exercise will naturally raise endorphins in your brain. Soothing music can also help you feel better and if you can, try to listen to some music live at your local coffee house. Live music actually has health benefits.

Take stock in your life - are you being true to yourself in all areas? Is there some emotionally housecleaning that needs to be done? Any toxic relationships that need to be ended or at the very least curtailed? Are there any addiction issues that need to be addressed? Relationships that may be draining you?

They say one day at a time and sometimes its a 1/2 a day at a time and perhaps even an hour at a time. You do have choices and you do have some control in your life.

I wish you peace and restful nights and above all hope.

Peace,

G

- Response by graziella, A Hippie Chick, Female, 46-55, Philadelphia, Artist / Musician / Writer

Have you seen a psychiatrist? You said you had tried some drugs and now are on anti-anxiety meds. Maybe that's not enough.

Perhaps a psychiatrist could help you "sort things out" so that you can "deal" with these problems and get to the bottom of all of it. No one should have to live like that... Please try and get real help.

why dont you try getting a pyschiatrist

I know just how you feel.

- Response by mlcoast2, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 22-25

The persons who replied to this man's mental dilemma of deep depression were cruel, selfish, coldhearted and extremely vicious.How many of you are certified psychiatrists? That is why I will never, never put any of business out here on the Internet, it is filled with cold, cruel people. My advice to you is you need to see a psychiatrist, not only are you in need of some serious therapy, but you also need immediate medication intervention as well, personally you could have any one of the severe mental illnesses, which cannot be handled without the right therapy and medication. Forget these clowns and make an appointment with a psychiatrist. Do some good research first. My thoughts are with you.

- Response by angelita96, A Thinker, Female, 29-35