Something is stuck in my foot
Diet & Health / 11:23 PM - Friday May 08, 2009

something is stuck in my foot

A few days ago, I stepped on something in my apartment - broken glass, i don't know what - it hurt but I couldn't see anything, thought I got it out. Apparently not; the last few days, it has hurt to walk on my foot. Any pressure on the ball is painful, it's tender and I feel a bump. it hurts to bend my toes. I tried clipping it out, tweezing it out, but i can't see anything.

The obvious answer is to see my doctor - I'd do that but I lost my job and with it my health insurance. I'm pretty broke. Is a a trip to the ER worth it or is there something else I can try?

Update: May 09, 2009.
Thank you all. I have a friend over and some tylenol & epsom salt, gonna stay off my foot as much as possible this weekend except to pick up the drawing salve. I wish I could give you all stars, you've been very helpful, thank you.

Try soaking it in warm water. Epsom Salts added to the water might help.

After soaking it for 20 minutes or so, see if you can find anything poking through the skin, and try to remove it with tweezers.

If that doesn't work, and it is still hurting you, you might have to go and have it checked out.

Good luck. :)

I agree with the soaking part but only wanted to add that you can go to the pharmacy and pick up a tube of Ichthammol (Google it). It's a drawing salve. It can even pull splinters out. It smells like tar but it worked for me many years ago when I couldn't get a piece of glass out of my hand. Good luck.

- Response by msbrunette, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 46-55

Try soaking your foot in hot salty water, it completely depends upon how the glass is stuck and the shape of the shard, but you could try rolling a pencil toward one end of the shard to force the other end up and out a bit. Then you could grab it with the tweezers. The curved end of a bobby pin could also be used to push one end forcing the other end out. Good luck.

- Response by siouxzen, A Creative, Female, Who Cares?, Los Angeles, Self-Employed

Johnson & Johnson First Aid creme in the white tube is great, and I've had good luck with it drawing out splinters, etc. It's kind of hard to find, but Wal Mart carries it, near the Band-Aids. I won't be without it!

Put a big glob on, cover it with a Band-Aid, and let it sit over night. It takes the soreness out really well, and softens and numbs the area quite a bit. Then you can dig around a little more (I've taken a razor blade and "sawn" away the skin in layers), until I finally find what's causing the problem.
Hope that helps.

- Response by An Alternative Girl, Female, 46-55, Los Angeles, Other Profession

Keep it CLEAN. Your body was made to withstand some serious damage. As long as you keep it clean, any foreign materials or infection should be short-lived.

The ER seems like a fat waste of money to me, but my parents were extremely cheap (I've never been to a doctor for anything but check-ups, and even those stopped when I hit middle school). The ER will probably charge you $400 for an ace bandage and some disinfectant.

- Response by anie01, A Thinker, Female, 22-25, Teaching