Why do my nails curve down when I grow them out?
Style & Beauty / 9:53 AM - Friday May 08, 2009

I used to be a nail biter. Now when I grow them out even the slightest bit, my pointer finger nails and my middle finger nails start curving downward. Is there any way to keep this from happening?

- Asked by swestcott621, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

sometimes that happens....mine tend to do the same thing if I don't use acrylic on them. It can also be caused from a vitamin deficiency of some sort too.

- Response by uberguber, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Science / Engineering

Your nails are shaped by the growth centre of the nail called the matrix, which is just below the skin behind the cuticle. Any damage to this area like bad bumps or having your fingers slammed in a door or something like that can cause damage to the matrix which in turn can cause various growth defects of the nail and cannot be fixed. It could also be hereditary. This is unfortunately, how your nails grow. Sorry

- Response by robyn76, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

nails do that its not anything that u can do to make them grow straight which is what I think u want them to do.