How do I get the mothball smell out of my washing machine?
Sex & Intimacy / 3:32 PM - Saturday May 02, 2009

My husband found an old army blanket at a garage sale. It had been packed in mothballs for quite some time. I wasn't home at the time, so he washed it in my new washing machine. I have run the washing machine over and over and over again to get that smell out of there, but have had no luck at all. I have used white vinegar and baking soda and I have also tried bleach. Is there any other product that might help?

Mothball smell is very hard to get out of things. You could maybe try amonia.

- Response by nikki_coffman, Female, 36-45, Managerial

Smelleze Mothball Deodorizer is a product that actually removes the smell by attracting it and capturing the molecule from the air. (Most every other odor removal technique is smothering, masking, or covering the odor.) This product is non-toxic, odorless, and all natural. Smelleze is a small pouch that you can hang in a closet or place in a drawer. Just place the
bag in your washer and leave it there for awhile and smells will be absorbed. The pouch can be regenerated by placing in the sun for a few hours. This product costs about $12 per pouch and you can find it on the internet.

Atmosklear is odor-free odor eliminator that is biodegradable, non-toxic, and comes in a spray bottle. The cost is about $13 for a 16 ounce bottle. Just search Google for this product to order it online.

Good luck. And congratulations on having a husband that does washing.

- Response by potroast, A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Teaching

Well it sounds like you got your hands on the old mothballs... te best solution is sunlight... it'll draw the odor out... with summer here if you guys can move the washer outside for a day while it's completely sunny and you're around the house, and open the lid and see if that will help. I've also heard charcoal helps... if you try that though make sure to clean out the washer very good and run it a few times after wards so you don't get your clothes stained. Honestly though, I would suggest trying Pomolve soap (Original) and water and scrub it out as best you can (watch out for suds if you start the washer up)... also lemon juice and water, and vanilla extract and water works too... also, I would check your manual to see if there are any filters the mothball water could have gone threw, cause they might be holding some scent, you can see if you can get those replaced. If those don't work, you might want to check with your local dry cleaners and see what they use to get rid of mothball scent in clothes. Oh I also heard charcoal works great but I'm not sure how that'll work in a washer.

- Response by neuroticallyyours2005, A Creative, Female, 26-28, Artist / Musician / Writer

Its a petro chem base so I would go with a deoderizer made to absorb it... even if you have to order it on the net.
I want to know... As most old army blankets were wool, what did it come out looking like? Is it crib size now?

I just bought a new washer myself from maytag... they sell little packets of washer cleaner. It smells like a disher washer powder. You might call Maytag and ask them or try the dish washer powder. Let me know if it works. Good Luck. Pam

- Response by ezygoin686, Female, 56-65, Oklahoma City, Administrative

Cedar Chips. You can buy them at the pet store (they are used as cage liner for small pets such as hamsters, etc.) Put them in a laundry bag and leave them in the washer with the top down so all the odor gets absored by the chips. Let me know if this works. Good luck. Jade

- Response by jadealso1, Female, 56-65, Administrative