Taking care of new ear piercing.
Diet & Health / 6:44 PM - Friday April 17, 2009

Taking care of new ear piercing.

What tips would you have for taking care of new piercings? I just had my ears pierced today and bought a bottle of "Studex After Piercing Lotion" which says to use it once a day. The guy said to use it twice a day.

I remember when I was 10 and they were pierced the first time (they closed on me for some reason, don't know why). Anyway, all we used was rubbing alcohol to keep them clean. Which do you think is better: the Studex or just regular rubbing alcohol?

Any other after piercing tips?

- Asked by glopsey, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Milwaukee, Student

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say a gallon of rubbing alcohol costs less than a tiny little tube of this "Studex"...and that's all you need to know.

If they put rubbing alcohol on gaping woulds cause by mortor fire, I am going to assume it will work just fine on a little hole through the ear lobe.

- Response by billy498, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Who Cares?

rubbing alcohal? OUCH. I got my ears pierced(for the third time! because they closed up the first two times) last year and I just used this disinfecting stuff I buy from Claires. it's like 8 dollars and I just used to apply it to the front and back of my piercings in the morning after showering and before going to sleep.

- Response by sk8terchick, An Alternative Girl, Female, 26-28, Fitness

Peroxide and make sure you keep those studs in for at least a year so they don't close up on you, including sleeping in the studs. I want to say that you should wear only 14K post earrings, preferably studs, for 6 months at a minimum. Wearing cheaper, non-14K wires in the ears is what can cause the infection thing to happen.

Good luck

I got my ears pierced for the first time a couple of months ago! Luckily, I had no problems. I'm not sure what the consistency of that lotion is and if it aborbs well into your skin, but I think I would rethink that kind of solution to clean your ears with. I got my ears pierced at Piercing Pagoda at the mall and they gave me an Antispetic solution that I was told to use twice a day. Always make sure to wash your hands before cleaning your ears and turn your earrings after each time you clean your ears. Do not touch your earrings or ears without washing your hands first! This is extremely important. Don't fiddle with them at all during the day except when cleaning. Keep the earrings in for 4-6 weeks. I was told that rubbing alcohol is just a temporary solution because it doesn't completely sterlize your ears like an antispetic solution would.

- Response by crazyinlove923, A Career Woman, Female, 29-35, Medical / Dental

My ears are pierced, as are all of my daughters'. We were told NO alcohol, but that peroxide or witch hazel was ok. And to do it twice a day, and make sure to twist the earring around several times during the day, so that the skin won't stick to them as they heal.

- Response by buffalothighs88, A Hippie Chick, Female, 56-65, Other Profession

The only reason the don't suggest rubbing alcohol is if your piercings aren't metal.
AKA they are acrylic. Alcohol breaks acrylic down.

- Response by hockeykid666, A Guy Critical, Male, 26-28, Toronto, Student