Ow my heart is beating really fast - how to stop this feeling?
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 10:21 PM - Wednesday April 15, 2009

Feeling really anxious for the past 2 days for no reason whatsoever. Anyone that knows what i'm talking about respond please.

- Asked by cjwahl, A Life of the Party, Male, 29-35, Who Cares?

Stress or anxiety
and neither is good for your health so slow down figure out what is bothering you so bad and see is it possible to work it out now
or it can wait if it can put it on hold
and do something for yourself cup of coffee walk outside go to the gym or out with your boys.
Stress can cause everything from heart attack to diabetis
so you think about that now ...

- Response by shygirl1979, A Career Woman, Female, 22-25, Who Cares?

Quit meth.

- Response by chkdsskt, A Guy Critical, Male, 29-35, Administrative

I feel like that a lot, it is generalized anxiety disorder. It sucks, And there doesn't have to be anything going on to trigger it. The trick is doing something to calm yourself, either deep breathing, meditation,a hobby to preoccupy your mind. You have to find what works for you. And if this is something that reoccurs maybe see a doc for some anti-anxiety meds. Its more common than you think, (hugs)Sass

- Response by 1sassychic, A Married Girl, Female, 36-45, Student

I have had anxiety since I was a little girl...I was even on T.V. for it! (keywords: Sarah, 20/20, Worry in America) So I know what I'm talking about.

It sounds like you're experiencing some generalized-anxiety. If you don't have anything in particular to be worried/excited about, and you haven't taken any phetamines (such as adderall), then you are probably just experiencing a Tremor of a panic-attack.

Is it night-time where you're at? I know that when the sun goes down, my mind tends to race a bit more, and my heart will follow suit. The problem w/panic is that the more you fixate on it (your heart pounding/racing thoughts), the more worried you may become. Here's my advice to you, if you don't have access to any Xanax or just don't like to take meds:

1.)Breathe. Not just in and out, but breath in through your nose deeply, hold for a count of 5, then exhale slowly. Repeat a few times.

2.) It is so important to detach yourself from what's going on physically, and emotionally...What I mean is, remind yourself that this is merely your body overreacting, and pretty soon you will calm down and feel fine. Listen to your body, but do so as an observer. This allows you to not fixate on your heart racing.

I guess it was rather dumb of me to make a list, considering I only put two things, but just contact me if you need further tips...like I said-I am an expert on Anxiety.

Take Care

- Response by sarah14oh, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

At your age,,,probably anxiety,,stress,or maybe angina.Cut out all caffine and sugar for a while.If it doesn't go away see a doctor...It could be a number of things!!

- Response by randolph, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 56-65, Artist / Musician / Writer

You have until midnight to either file your return or request an extension. :)

You're experiencing an anxiety attack. There IS something bothering you or WAS bothering you and the fall-out is happening now. But, get yourself checked out with your family physician or whatever doctor you see now. It is unusual when it appears "for no reason."

hey cj, you are either in love or going to be fired...sorry and sorry.

Yeah its called anxiety.

- Response by skycop, A Father Figure, Male, 46-55, Consulting

Whoa, CJ, calm down. It sounds like you're stressed out about something. Like everyone says, perhaps you're thinking too much or worried about something. Not getting enough rest doesn't help either. If it doesn't go away soon, perhaps you should see your doctor. Do you exercise? How about taking a gentle yoga class? Men and women take yoga and find it very calming and relaxing. I take it weekly to help me clear my mind and it also helps to do some yoga before bedtime. It helps you sleep better.

Yeah, I know what you are talking about..It sounds like anxiety or stress..Sorry, that feeling is no fun at all!

Try to relax and do something to get your mind off of what you are worrying about. If that doesn't work, talk with someone you trust and tell them what is going on in your life right now. Both those help me, not always but sometimes.

If you don't start feeling better soon, don't take a chance on it being anything serious, see a doctor. Take care.

- Response by ddn1958, A Sportif, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

At your age, your heart rate should be no more than 100 bpm (beats per minute). The most common cause for tachycardia (rapid heart rate) at your age is what the others have said, Stress or anxiety (panic attack). I have included a list of other possibilities.

Most people with tachycardia have heart disease. Some people have coronary heart disease (hardening of the arteries). Others have different heart problems, such as:

Long-term high blood pressure (hypertension)
Abnormalities of the heart valves (thin tissues that keep blood flowing in one direction through the heart)
Pericarditis, inflammation of the saclike covering of the heart (pericardium)
Abnormalities of the heart's pumping function
Dysfunction of the heart's natural pacemaker, (sinus node)
Some people who have tachycardia don't have underlying heart disease. The cause is often unknown. Possible causes include:

An overactive thyroid or other metabolic imbalance
Damage or microscopic abnormalities in the muscles of the atria (upper heart chambers)
Abnormalities within individual heart cells
Abnormal electrical properties of groups of heart cells
Emphysema or other lung diseases
Exposure to heart stimulants, such as caffeine, tobacco, or alcohol
Rapidly firing triggers, ("hot spots") often located in the veins that return blood from the lungs to the heart (pulmonary veins) -- that cause atrial fibrillation.

If it continues, please see a doctor.

- Response by mistyjean, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Self-Employed