Why didn't he kiss me on our date?
Dating / 11:43 PM - Tuesday April 14, 2009

Why didn't he kiss me on our date?

We went out for the first time.. He was a total gentleman..Hold the door and insisited on paying for everything. At the end of the night he hugged me goodbye and even made a call to me on the way home. He has also called for the past 3 days since the date.. He lives about 30 minutes from me and he mentioned, "next time you'll have to come over to my area." He works as a deputy and has a crazy schedule of overnight 12-hour shifts..We havent set up another date but he has a habit of asking the same day.. Why wouldnt he kiss me goodbye? Is he interested in seeing each other again?

I think you answered it when you said he is a total gentleman. He is working on getting to know you first it sounds like to me. And I think getting to know you without adding anything physical is a good thing. Let him treat you like the lady you are. He could be a keeper. I would say he is interested. Don't think he would keep calling if he didn't want to see you again. Enjoy being treated well, you deserve it.

- Response by tootcat, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Retired

Because like you just said, he's a gentleman, and gentleman don't kiss on the first date, dogs do...

Not getting kissed on first date should not a big issue to you.

All guys have different notions in their minds as to what is proper pace for them. As you said, he is a thorough gentleman. So let him take his own time. His actions will be much more meaningful than the guy who rushes to kiss you at first opportunity.

- Response by counsellor, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 66 or older, Delhi, Self-Employed

I think you answered your own question... You said the man was a "total gentleman". He may not have thought it appropriate to kiss on a first date. I don't think he would have called you on your way home or called every day the past 3 days if he's not interested. Most of the time if they're not interested they just won't call at all. Maybe he's looking for a sign from you that you're interested before he decides to kiss you? My current boyfriend didn't kiss me until our 3rd date, partially because he knew I was a "good girl" and didn't want me to feel like he was pushing things. Next time he calls I would mention something you're interested in doing and see if he suggests doing it together... Either that or just flat out ask him to do something. If/when you do have a date, be sure to give him some signs you're interested in that goodnight kiss. Good luck!

- Response by A Sweet Sarah, Female, 29-35, Teaching