Why do men look at other women?
Dating / 7:40 PM - Thursday April 09, 2009

Why do men look at other women?

Maybe i shouldn't say every man, I'm sure there are some that don't but in a small amount.

A woman can easily go without looking at a man because she only wants one, where are the men that are like this ?

I've had a friend that dated a guy that constantly looked at other women..with her there! Whats the reason...

why be so curious to see another women ?

Update: April 10, 2009.
Thanks for all your answers and opinions..Another member(patresi) pop'd my question and make the situation in reverse , you guys should take a look at it as well and respond on what you think. & I understand the glance ,but some men just stare or even turn their necks just to look at a female..have a good night everyone (:

- Asked by A Creative, Female, 22-25, Student

I admire beauty. I just love the way women look and how they do so much to make themselves beautiful. Specially here in NYC.

- Response by jhinnyc, A Career Man, Male, 46-55, New York, Who Cares?

It's all according to what kind of person they are.

- Response by kirktheturk, A Jock, Male, 29-35

Yes guys do it and I've been guilty of it before and been caught and scolded for it. I guess it's a guy thing and I understand that from a woman's point of view it's just rude.

Hey if I am getting a free boob shot or even something better I am forced to look. Guys are dogs!

- Response by usarmy24id, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 36-45, Celebrity

some people just have wondering eyes......lol

- Response by musical85, A Career Woman, Female, 29-35, Student

It's wasn't the looking I minded so much...it was the comments about what a cute ass some young woman 25 years younger than myself had---not a good feeling.

:(

- Response by ocelotspot, A Hip Hop Girl, Female, Who Cares?, Other Profession

Because anyone would look at a sexy woman, even women. Women look at guys as much as we look at women.

- Response by trhjr1, A Guy Critical, Male, 66 or older, Retired

I look at guys, I did when I was with another man...I do it because I know the guy that I am dating is the best and the one that I like but being able to look and not touch delutes tepmtation to me...it helps...and I don't see the problem. I don't see why women or men are so insecure with their SO to think of this as something negative.

- Response by fizzzzle, A Creative, Female, 26-28, Student

Aww hell... women look at men, too!!

The difference is.... how long you look, and whether or not you take a second look... breakin' your damn neck catching a glimpse of someone walking within eyesight.

Have the decency to not gawk while you're out with your partner... unless you just FEEL like fighting.

- Response by king313, An Engaged Guy, Male, 29-35, Detroit, Civil Service

because we are men
itshard for you to understand
but you are a woman
how could you?

- Response by vank356, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65, Technical

You know how dogs notice and sniff anything that captures their attention...no matter how momentarily?

Men have something in them that compels them to do the same thing.

However, men are (supposedly....yes, most of them are, I'm kidding!) more evolved and intelligent than dogs are. That means they have the capacity for restraint, as well as for discernment...that dogs do not have.

Not all of them use this capacity, but most of them do have it.

Those who respect the women in their life enough to use it are men worth spending lots of time with and respecting in return.

Those who do not...are not.

Why not? Eyes are to see. We all like looking at pretty things. Even women look at other women to check out their outfits, hair, figures, boyfriends, shoes, etc. to criticize if nothing else. So I don't know why you think a man shouldn't want to look! Eyes are to look at stuff. Men do not grow blinders just because they are dating or married to you.

However if he looks and STARES, or makes comments, he is just a boor and should be dumped immediately because he is uncouth and doesn't know how to do his looking without being rude.

- Response by msheartbeat, A Trendsetter, Female, 46-55, San Francisco, Self-Employed

me when i look at men i'm thinking am lucky with the man i'm with!and maybe some men thinks the same when they look at other women!maybe!

- Response by celeronteam85, A Married Girl, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

I can honestly say that my boyfriend doesn't really look at other women. He's just not like that.

We're really similar in that area. We obviously can tell if someone is good looking... but we just don't care! It's more like a fact, "That person is attractive" but that's all that matters. If you don't know the person then who cares what they look like?? I love this about him.

But, men are men and I'm sure he looks at least some, but I honestly don't care because I am positive that he is just like me, he isn't actually interested in them.

And while I'm happy to have someone like this, I do realize that men who do look can still be great people.. men are just visual.

- Response by mousepad, A Creative, Female, 26-28, Student

I will preface this by saying that you're young, very young. FYI women do look at other men. You will find this out when you get older, believe me. There's a lot of good looking men out there, and until you get smitten by love and choose the one and only, you too will look at other men. They may not be as obvious as us men, but they look. But the real question is "why" we look at the opposite sex. We look because we find something very attractive in that other person. It could be the same magnetism that attracted them to their mates. Understand that looking is not the same as cheating. You wouldn't expect someone to not look at the beauty of the ocean, the sky or the mountains, would you? That's all we're doing when we look. Nothing more, usually nothing less. It's only when you do "The Exorcist" thing that causes trouble.

- Response by rhunt0210, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Other Profession

God made us blokes the way we are so accept it.
We, fellers accept women,s little idiosyncracies
Ouch, took some getting out that word

Hmmm some women probably could but I haven't met any that didn't check out other guys. It's natural to look at other attractive people whether your in a relationship or not. The devil is in the details though, if you already have a mate then you need to do it tastefully. Ya know? Get in and get out! No long lingering staring.

- Response by rodir0n, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Sacramento, Managerial

Just as there are some men who will look, there are some women who will also look when/if they see a 'hot' guy...I think it's just because when/if we see something that attracts our attention, it's hard not to look and appreciate it's beauty or ruggedness or whatever...men are visual as well so it might be because they like what they see and want to burn an image of that 'beauty' in their mind...IJS...:D

Because they're there! (
almost)All guys look. (almost)All women look. Women are just better at hiding it. Its in our human nature, c'mon how many times a day do you see a cute guy & think "Hey, he's cute, eh not as cute as my boyfriend."
But then again some guys are just total asses & do it to piss you off.

- Response by iamsoothatgirl, An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35, Other Profession

It's human nature. Men and women don't have the same way of thinking. Some men are pig's and gauk at women. Other men look at women because they are fasinated by the many different looks women have. Just because men look at other women with their girlfriend/wife with them doesn't always mean they want want them. It took me many years to figure this out.

- Response by A Cool Mom, Female, 36-45

SERIously?!? Men look at women, Women look at men, Women look at women, Men don't seem to look at men that much but hell, SOMEtimes. It's what we do! It's not infidelity. It's appreciating someones attractiveness. I'm sorry, I don't make a big show of it, but I'm not blind to attractive men when I'm in a relationship!

- Response by annothergirl, A Life of the Party, Female, 29-35, Executive

Because women are the most beautiful thing on the planet. We can not help it.... I have 2 kids, but I constantly look at other kids and make goofy faces at them, and try to make them laugh and silly stuff, not because I want to trade my kids for someone else's, but because kids a re cute and funny. I have a car, that I am keeping till it dies, but I go to the car show, test drive new cars, look online and at magazines, not because I am trading mine in, but just for fun. When we look at other women, and I am not talking about stalking or being obsessed with, or even flirting with, I am talking about noticing how good another woman looks or her clothes, or something, as long as we are not obsessing over her, it's really just looking.

- Response by sohodutch, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, New York, Technical

It's not just guys that do it..us girl do it too! Personally, I do take a quick look at an attractive guy if I see one but I don't STARE at him and certainly don't do it in front of my boyfriend because I think that is kind of rude...if I am out by myself or with friends then yes, I will take a look at what is around. BUT I expect the same from my guy in return- I don't care if he looks at girls when he is out by himself or w/ friends, but he better not do it in front of me- that's just rude.

- Response by greeneyedbeauty88, A Thinker, Female, 22-25

My guy is very respectful, and does not do that. I have a 1 in a million. He makes me feel as though I am the most beautiful woman. :)

- Response by voodoo68, A Hippie Chick, Female, 46-55, Medical / Dental

Ummmm...you need to get over this fairy tale idea that women don't look at men... That is about the most childish concept I have ever heard. Women are just as bad as men...what do you think people magizine and others are all about...Sports Illistrated isn't the magazine that puts out an issue on teh sexies man alive...IJS

Women look too. As long as he's not breaking neck and saying any comment's it's all good.

- Response by lovelybellexa87, An Engaged Girl, Female, 26-28, Miami, Student

I think that guys that look at other women when they're out with their supposed girlfriends are insecure--so they want to make their women insecure by looking at other women. It's a childish, sick and stupid thing to do.

When I am out with my man, he doesn't look at other women. He only looks at me. I don't care what he looks at when we're not together, but I would be MAD if he looked at other people if we were out together because that is just disrespectful! And there is absolutely no reason for a woman who is a good catch to tolerate disrespect from anyone.

If I were with a guy who looked at someone else when he was with me, I would say, "Wow, you'd better go see if you can hit on her successfully, because I'm out of here." And I'd say it sweetly and smile. Why? Because I RESPECT myself and I demand respect from my s/os. It has nothing at all to do with insecurity and EVERYTHING to do with just asking for the basics from your man. Respect is basic. It is NOT too much to ask to ask him to behave as though you are the only woman in the world when you're together.

I try not to look at other women when I'm with a woman. For one thing, I love the way the women I'm with, look like or else I wouldn't be with them. Some of them are beautiful; others are cute but regardless, I try not to look at others and wouldn't even if they were quite plain. In fact, I know that the women I've been with are watched a lot by men as it's very apparent. Now, if they were looking back at the men, I'd be totally pissed so I do not look at other women when I'm with them.

I've been surprised when women have told me that before we dated, they used to watch me unless I caught them watching so I guess that they do watch but I have to say that I have yet to catch one of the women I've been with watching other men.

- Response by patresi, An Intellectual Guy, Male, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

Because it is their nature to look, they are hard-wired to look. Do you NEVER look at another man??

- Response by rhonda35, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

Hey, I pop'd your question because I think that guys would be totally pissed if a woman did the same thing as often as men do. Can you please make a note for people to find my pop'd question to ask them to respond to it too? Thanks.

a man "in love" will not even notice another woman in his path... but if he is checking it out... tell him "to hit the gate"

from experience, i know tht ONLY the most insecure of women ask this question.

women are not bad at staring at guys while with their man. i cant forget a woman with 3 kids (yes! freaking 3!!) repeatedly staring (not just looking) at me & a handsome captain of the ship. it went on way too much,tht i wanted to mention it to her hubby.i mentioned it to my gf who asked me to go stand in front of her & see how long more she'll stare!!

the world in full of insecure women (and few good ones) who blame their men for everything after doing it themselves.

- Response by willspencer, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35, Milan, Managerial

I have read all of the responses to this question and aggree with some. If a woman takes the time to get ready for her special night out with her guy, the least he can do is have eyes for her. Right? I don't aggree with some of the comments or Boys Club thinking. "That's just how we are" This sounds like men are brainless stumbling fools. If a man truely cares for the woman on his arm and in his life, he will do everything he can to make her feel special, loved and beautiful. Sure guys and gals can visually appreciate the opposite sex on their own time, but it is truely tastless and classless to be checking out other women when you are supposidly with the person who matters the most to you. This kind of behavior is hurtful and makes the person you are with feel secondary. It you love someone, their feelings come first if you want to keep them. I don't think the person is insecure if they expect to be treated special by the person they love and respect. Right? Nope checking out others while with your special someone is not acceptable in my book. Sorry. Very bad behavior indeed!

- Response by coffeetime2, A Thinker, Female, 46-55

I think some of the answers here are getting away from the question why do men look ? I find myself wondering and having mixed feeling about the question becuase of how it effects me. My husband and I have been together along time and for years he never looked, I have always felt secure in our marriage and he has always made me feel beautiful, for him to start looking recently has really hurt me, and a big turn off b/c I get all dressed up, and think I look great am feeling great and yes "other men" look at me, I do not aknownledge them and I see their wives or girl friends faces when their man has looked at me (they are mad/hurt ect I understand their feelings and truly think its disrespectful) when see my husband look, and look again, he might as well slap me It hurts they are all younger, but no not are all pretty. It happened today. I have tried to make up excuses to myself, its getting harder and harder if I say any he thinks I am accusing him and goes off the deep end.
I am trying to understand why. I dont think he is cheating, he takes me everywhere and we everything together I just can't take much more of his looking, especially looking twice.

- Response by A Married Girl, Female, 46-55

why are you so insecure to believe that looking at someone of the opposite sex means your b/f will cheat on you?

- Response by lmarks, A Life of the Party, Male, 29-35, Los Angeles, Who Cares?