Is there anything wrong with wearing socks to bed?
Diet & Health / 11:48 PM - Monday April 06, 2009

I work in a group home and there is conflict as to whether or not one of our residents should wear socks to bed. They're ankle heighth.

- Asked by peggage, Female, 56-65

I have had a QUIRK if you want to call it that, since early childhood. I do not allow my feet to touch the bare floor - EVER.

I wear socks to bed and always have. I do not now, nor have I ever seen anything wrong with that. I see it causing no problems, either socially or hygienically. I wear socks, with slippers over them. At bedtime, I remove the slippers and wear the socks into my bed.

WHATEVER WOULD BE THE PROB ???

I have perpetually cold feet.....so I sometimes were them when I just can't stand it anymore........but if sex were on the menu......I would deff leave them off that night !!!

- Response by nuttyprofessor, A Guy Critical, Male, 66 or older, Transportation

That's an important issue in healthcare? If the resident wants to wear a suit of armor to bed, that should not be anyone's concern.

As long as they're loose enough to not affect the circulation, it should be fine.

It's extra warm. Does this person have bad circulation? If I can't be barefoot, I'm in my socks all the time. I wear them like slippers. Outside to the mailbox, whatever. Just make sure they get changed often.

- Response by twocents47, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

I have worked group homes and that controversy is just dumb
do these people not get to have some choices
what is there reasoning that the resident should not wear the sox?

I wear socks to bed, my feet are always cold. I can not imagine what harm it would cause to let this resident wear socks to bed if it makes him or her happy.

- Response by purrzn, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

Is it making for STINKY FEET?

otherwise, No harm, no Foul!

Wow...that is the epitomy of a human being not having autonomy in life. That is horrible. A resident should have the option of whether they should or should not have socks on when they sleep.
If they do not have the functionality and way to express this(I think/hope is your case) then you should or find a study in real life of how many people wear socks to sleep. If it is overwhelmingly sock wearers then keep socks on them...if most people DON'T wear socks to bed then keep socks off.

Then when you have the time, ask family members whether the group home members wore socks to sleep when they were more functional. SOme people might know when they were caregivers.

When I have socks on personally, it bugs me when I want to sleep in the covers and I'm NOT cold. If I'm COLD under the covers then I want socks. Depends on the person...and people have different normal body temps.

Time for research-not office conflict.

- Response by A Sportif, Female, 29-35, Student

i cannot stand to wear socks to bed, it makes me feel claustrophic in a way. which sucks because i bought some footy pajamas this year and am unable to wear them to bed. too restricting! but, my mom won't wear socks that are tight on her ankles or higher. she wears low socks which very little elastic. so maybe thats where the concern comes with the people u work with. something to do with circulation or pain of some sort.

- Response by nicky711, A Thinker, Female, 36-45

If its cold...I wear socks to bed. If its cold...I put socks on my grandchildren for bed...heck, they have jammies with feet for such occasions, and if you need them? Why not wear them?

I see no reason why "anyone" who's feet are cold in the night, shouldn't wear socks. Warm, comfy, cozy, loose fitting socks. Its what pleasant dreams are made of. :)

Now...in really cold climes...we might want to talk nightcaps too. :)

What??

WHAT is the big deal.. and
WHAT business is it, of anyone?

that is the indeviduals decission to ware them not any one elses i ware them maney times in the winter keeps feet warm and built in slipers if i want to go to bathroom at nite

- Response by dmncowboy, A Father Figure, Male, 66 or older, Retired

Conflict over wearing sox to bed?? For real?? Surely this is a left over April fools.....

Honestly, what difference does it make? Old folks tend to have poor circulation and cold feet. A little extra warm doesn't hurt anybody. If its a matter of slipping on marble or tile floors while walking, that could be different. To bed tho is no biggie. Sometimes in the winter I even put a heating pad under my sheets on really cold nights...... Then again, I do sleep with windows open as long as its not snowing or raining....

I dont think there is any wrong in wearing socks to bed.
And also by wearing it at night will make your feet better.

- Response by lovelynancy, Female, 36-45, Bangalore, Home Maker

I don't undestand why it would be a problem. Personally i'm a country girl,i hate shoes or socks but if someone wants to wear socks to bed why not???

Wear socks to bed if you want...just be sure they are CLEAN socks

- Response by meanajoan, Female, 66 or older

http://answers.yahoo.co m/question/index?qid=20 061201101043AALu89D

- Response by hulk132, Female, 29-35, Other Profession