What does it mean when a guy tells you to back off a little but does not totally tell you to go away
Dating / 12:10 PM - Friday April 03, 2009

This man will not respond to any of my texts now.... why not just tell me to not contact him at all? does this sound like he is playing games? how do i handle this guy?

I wouldn't leave things up to him. If he isn't responding to your texts, I would forget about him and move on. I certainly wouldn't be wondering how to handle him or what to do next. Neither should you! Yes, he is playing games and isn't being honest with you. Who wants to waste time on someone like that? I would stop trying to contact him at all and forget about him. You can do better than him and find someone that is interested in you, responds to you and doesn't play games.

- Response by iamboo2, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Charlotte, Therapist

Why then do you continue to text him if he has not responded? You don't have to handle this guy cuz hes gone....

- Response by mscachick, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Minneapolis, Who Cares?

(sigh)

You back off. No texts, no calling, no nothing.

Sounds like he is sending you a message, in a rather cowardly way, but a message nonetheless, that he has lost interest. Sorry.

Never make a man a priority who makes you an option. When he said to back off he meant to stop contact. Maybe he doesn't want to hurt your feelings. Let it go. If he wants to talk, he will call.

- Response by livestolaugh, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Managerial

means you are in his space and he needs more time to think. guys need to be in our "caves" for a while and when we are ready to come out we do. that alone time allows us to deal with the world and its problems. once we are done, and if our girl has allowed us alone time, we usually give them a big kiss and tell them thanks for understanding.

Maybe it is too much texting from your side, and interfering with his work.

Backing off a little is always better than being shunted out forever.

- Response by counsellor, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 66 or older, Delhi, Self-Employed

If the man does not respond to any of your text messages. You should stop texting him. He is probably a busy man, or seeing someone else, if he is playing games. I would just tell him "Look sweetie I will not text message you anymore, you would have to call me to see if I'm available". No one wants to play the cat and mouse game.

- Response by thewiselady2004, A Creative, Female, 56-65, Los Angeles, Self-Employed

he's told you to back off (a little) before you find yourself completely dismissed for the fact that you're crowding him too much.

seems to me that "back off" means exactly that. no more texting, no more phone calls... take a very big "chill pill" and hope that the appropriate time/space presents itself for a measured dialogue.

ditch him! thats the best advice in this situation.

- Response by emeraldeyez, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Home Maker

He is a coward and doesn't want to hurt your feelings, unfortunately he is not interested. Thus, just back off and not contact him in any way.
All the best!

- Response by retrokatie, A Thinker, Female, 22-25, Student