Should I feel any way if my boyfriend doesn't introduce me to people as his girlfiend?
Dating / 12:59 PM - Friday March 27, 2009

Me and boyfriend have been together for 5 months.

When we're out and he sees an old friend he sometimes doesn't introduce me to them.

And if he does, he just introduces me by name, and not as his girlfriend.

- Asked by A Hip Hop Girl, Female, 22-25, Houston, Who Cares?

You're obsessing over an irrational need to be labeled and have your territory marked.

If he doesn't introduce you.. which yes, that is rude.. then just introduce yourself, and carry on.

YOU each know you're together, and that's what matters.

The need to tell others that you're a couple, is just pissing on trees.

sounds like he's too proud to have a girlfriend or he just needs to be trained on proper etiquette. i'd talk to him about it, letting him know how it makes you feel.

I have a man that can not remember any one's name. Period.

In the early days of our relationship he would not introduce me to anybody... "Steamed" me... Then he explains that I am going to have to introduce myself, ask for their name and how do they know my guy?, so that he can listen in and get a frame of reference!!!

To this day, years later... He still needs me to play the game. And if "she" is a very attractive woman, I don't say a thing, just stand there and let him squirm while she invariably "hits" on my very married lad... He was quite a "Player" until I came along, and damn if these women don't have a sense of entitlement...

Good thing I don't need to feel "owned" to feel secure...

- Response by siouxzen, A Career Woman, Female, Who Cares?, Guadalajara, Self-Employed

have you addressed this issue with him? I dated a guy and alwasy forgot to introduce him...just felt so comfortable with him there that it never crossed my mind....until he brought it up. I tried to be better at remembering, but it took a couple joking reminders before i started doing it.

- Response by jasmine27, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Other Profession