Chest pain. what does it mean?
Diet & Health / 9:18 PM - Thursday March 26, 2009

Chest pain. what does it mean?

I lost my job and got another one and think Im under alot of stress,

but I've been having chest pain more and more this past year and it is regardless of what I have had going on in my life.

I'm scared and curious what people's opinions are regarding this.

Some told me that I might have gas built up, and that it is pushing my lungs up into my chest,

I was like no,

others are telling me I have a broken heart.

I'm just wanting a better opinion that that.

- Asked by Authenticity, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

if it's a high pressure job, you may be suffering from stress...and you might be having anxiety attacks....it can actually cause something called BVP Benign Ventricular Palpatations.....like an irregular heart beat....it almost feels like your heart is "rolling over" in your chest.....you might want to see you doctor and let him know how you are feeling, and have him check you out.....he may be able to help....

- Response by themamu, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, Who Cares?

At my last job, I started showing the same symptons as my frined that works there. Same as what you are kind of describing. He was told it was high blood pressure from stress. I started on som epills to help get more oxygen into my blood and eating better and trying ot level out my stress factor. Once I lost my job, my chest pains went away. I would say get checked at the doc for blood pressure.

- Response by ferree, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Dallas, Other Profession

I think that the smartest thing you could do is: GO TO A DOCTOR. Then, AFTER he tells you it is NOT your heart, then you can pursue other possible reasons.

Your doctor just might put you on anti-anxiety medication for a time, until you get through this difficult emotional time in your life. But, again, you do want to KNOW that it is not your heart, before you ask for advice from others. THEN many can tell you their story and try to help you. :)

That happened to me when I was about 23. I went to a heart specialist and he told me that I had "Mitro Valve Prolapse". It's a heart condition that effects Caucasians who are usually over 5'10. In my case, the valve in my heart is over lapping and fills with blood prior to flowing through my body. The pain I feel is caused by the build up of blood in the valve. You should really get this checked out because if you have it you need to be pre-medicated prior to going to the dentist as as the plaque from your teeth can poison your blood as it sits in the valve. I'm 41 and have lived with this comfortably since it was discovered. You're going to be fine, but you need to get it checked out. Good luck and be well.

- Response by 1313love, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Other Profession

well the best thing to do is go see a doctor or go to the emergency room.With a chest pain there is NO wait you will see a doctor immediatley.
It could be stress, it could also be heart burn.It could be Reflux deases.The heart is a muscle and without rest it can hurt.The best thing to do is go see a doctor.

- Response by A Sportif, Female, 29-35, Medical / Dental

Chest pain can be oodles of different things. Some scary, some benign.
It is true that gas can cause chest pain, weird and gross, but true. Usually goes away after a big toot or a poop.
Given your situation, panic attacks and anxiety can also cause chest pain that seems like a heart attack. Pretty benign but feels absolutely horrible. These can happen even if you don't perceive yourself to be under tons of stress... your body sometimes knows stress before your brain clues in on it.
Best thing you can do, go to your primary care doc, tell him/hr what's going on. They'll run an EKG (they'll put stickers on your chest and see how your heart is beating) and may run an ECHO where they take an ultrasound of your heart to make sure it's ok structurally. Both quick and painless procedures.
If they find anything, you're young enough where it's probably a simple thing (I have a murmur they found this way) that can be treated super easily. They may refer you to a cardiologist if they find anything (I've had one since I was a teenager for the murmur business). They can test for infections and other random stuff that could cause your symptoms.
If they can't find anything in the office, they may give you a houlter monitor or an "event monitor" were you hit a little button when you feel the pain and it records what your heart is doing. It's a cool little knick knack where it can send the data right to your doc and they can figure out what's going on and how to fix it.
And "broken heart" isn't really a diagnosis nor will it fix anything. Chest pain is never something to sneeze at if you don't know what could be causing it.
See a doc, get yourself checked out.
If it happens again before you can see your primary care, get to an ER to get checked out, just to be safe.

- Response by smizzle, A Sportif, Female, 29-35, Student

Any chest pain should be checked out immediately. It could very well me a heart attack. Womem have different symptoms than men do. SO, the next time this happens, go to the Emergency Room!!!!! I AM VERY SERIOUS ABOUT THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've experienced the same thing. For me, it ended up being a combination of severe anxiety (caused by stress at my former job), plus some depression thrown in. Not only did I experience chest pains, but I also occasionally experienced nausea and a total loss of appetite. I sometimes went for days without eating anything; I just had no hunger whatsoever.

It's really, really not a fun way to live life. You might want to consider mentioning the symptoms to your doctor, just in case you ARE suffering from depression or anxiety.

Best wishes!

- Response by saucywench, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Cincinnati, Other Profession

Not a DR, but I did stay at a Holiday Express once...Go to a DR. Stress causes many symptoms. You might need aniexity meds or have an ulcer...You just can't self guess.

It is stress, as stress does weird things to out bodies. You need to begin meditating so you can relax and not let the stress overwhelm you and wreck your body. If need be, see your doctor too.