I am 319 pounds. Is it possible to lose 100 pounds in 4.5 months?
Diet & Health / 6:59 PM - Tuesday March 24, 2009

Where theres a will theres a way.. well thats what is said.

However bearing in mind it depends on your bodies reaction, and how it reacts, the diet you have, the amount of exercise you do etc.

I say go for it, try your best, and do it in as healthier way possible.

Good luck, all the best!

- Response by riya123, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Other Profession

Absolutely possible.....but you're going to have to want to....in order to do so.....

A drastic change in your eating habits, dieting, water instead of sodas, no alcohol, no drugs, no smoking, start power walking and then begin to jog slowly at first, exercise, stretching.....and so forth....

Trust me, little brother....it can be done.....but you're going to have to want to......and do not waver from your course....

- Response by richard77, A Jock, Male, Who Cares?, Self-Employed

The question is what is healthy.
To burn a pound of fat you have to have a caloric deficit of 3,500 calories, which means between diet and exercise your body has to burn 3,500 calories before you lose 1 lb. of fat. So let's say you go on a caloric deficit (diet) of 500 calories per day. One week you will lose 1 lb. (by diet alone). Then let's say you exercised 5 days a week and burn at least 350 calories each time, that totals to 1750 (which is only 1/2 pound of fat per week). So you will lose 6 pounds a month and realistically it would take almost 17 months to lose 100 pounds.

Now, based on those shows like biggest loser, (who lose like 30 pounds in one week)...they are probably on a larger caloric deficit, which only your doctor should recommend. Basically someone who is already 319 pounds usually needs more calories to maintain their body and therefore can afford the larger deficit versus individuals trying to lose "vanity pounds", which does help accelerate weight lose.

If you were to go on a 1,000 calorie deficit (assuming you already eat 3,000 calories a day) down to 2000 calories, you would lose 10 lbs. a month (with exercise) and it would only take 10 months.

- Response by yoyomojo, A Creative, Female, 29-35

i don't think so....check with your doctor!

- Response by imissit, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 66 or older, Who Cares?

that's too extreme....you'll become ill then put all the weight back on and probably more. you will have periods of no weight loss, accept it...don't let it stop you.

- Response by kramer, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Who Cares?

That might be a tad ambitious and unwise on an unsupervised diet/exerise plan but you could reasonably come pretty close. At your weight I think you might be able to lose up to 5 pounds a week for a good part of that time, with 2-3 pounds to start and most likely to finish. But, why limit yourself to only 41/2 months. Keep going and you will get there! Good luck.

Could you do it? Yes.

Is it safe? Probably not. Quick weight loss can cause gallbladder issues.

What I would suggest is discussing it with your physician. Then make monthly appointments for a check up. This will also make you accountable for your weight loss, measure your progress, and ensure you are healthy.

I wish you the best of luck!

It may or may not be possible. Gastric bypass would be a big kicker to it being possible. Loosing that much so quickly would be WAYYYY too unhealthy. You would put yourself at great risk for all sorts of organ problems. I was always taught that about 2 pounds a week is a healthy. It requires a lifestyle change including exercise, eating healthy and mind over matter. A possitive attitude will take you far. That and the "never give up" attitude.

What you want is great but for it to last, take your time and do it right! You risk your life any other way.

- Response by joent612, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Tampa, Administrative

Technically, yes, if you REALLY work at it..to the point of working out for 8 hours every day and following a very restrictive diet. But even then, it wouldn't be healthy for your body. Remember that it took a lot longer than 4.5 months to gain 100 lbs, so it's going to take longer than that to safely lose it in a way that allow your to keep it off. For most people, it takes at least a year to lose that much weight. But remember that small increments of weight loss can make a huge difference in how you look and fee. If you lost 10 lbs a month..not the easiest thing to do but a fairly reasonable goal considering your size...you would be down 40 lbs in just 4 months. 40 lbs is significant. Take it one step at a time and think of your health first and foremost.

It's POSSIBLE.

Will you KEEP it off?

Probably not. AND.

You get lots and LOTS of disgusing hang-y skin when you drop THAT much weight THAT quickly.

How long did it take you to put it on????????? That's how long or longer it is going to take to take it off!!!!!!!!

You don't want to lose weight that fast (unless under constant supervision of a doctor, diet expert and trainer, like on the Biggest Loser TV show). You would probably end up with lose skin if you lose weight that fast. They say about a pound per week is reasonable, maybe a little bit more for you. So say two pounds per week. That means about 8-10 pounds per month. So realistically you could lose 36-45 pounds in 4.5 months. That's not bad either!

Not safely, without a doctor's supervision.

- Response by buffalothighs88, A Hippie Chick, Female, 56-65, Other Profession

I do not think it is possible to lose that much that fast without getting your stomach stapled

..no..it would be too fast anyway..typically i think it takes about a year..u want this weight to stay off so the best thing to do is cut ur caloric intake and let nature take it's course..don't do any quick mess or u will prob just gain the weight back and add some more..good luck..:)

- Response by michellekia, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, St.Louis, Other Profession

You know, I'm not really the type to T.V shop....unless it happens to be jewlery....but I used to work out from home with Zone pilates, and I'll tell you what, it worked for me. Now I've seen these infomercials for a workout that I would LOVE to try. It's called PX90. The workout looks so intense and FUN. I also know from working out at home that IT CAN WORK. Now 100 lbs. in 4.5 mo. ? That would be completely on you, and if you couldn't reach your goal of 100, I'm positive you could get VERY close. Look into PX90. It's a 3 mo. regemind. If you stick with it, I promise you'll see results. Like I said I stuck with my Zone Pilates, and I lost 20 lbs(child bearing weight/sugars) in 3 mo. So, definetly. Good Luck! =)

- Response by isuckmeat56, A Married Girl, Female, 26-28, Las Vegas, Self-Employed

they do it on "the biggest loser"

It depends what type of weight it is and what you are willing to do to achieve that goal. If you carry around 11 pounds of undigested food in your gut and lose 8 pounds per month (2lbs/week) then that would be almost 50 pounds, which is quite realistic. (I once lost 28 pounds in 4 months, after a gut cleanse. I walked about 20 hours/week and played volleyball about 5 hours/week then.)

Goals must be written and realistic, accompanied by an action plan. With weight loss, the more lean muscle mass you obtain, the more fat you are able to lose--even at rest, so your efforts multiply. Eat only 2 or 3 times a day, but never closer than 3 hours from bed time.

Don't expect to lose all 100 pounds that quickly.

- Response by beachinbeachboy, A Jock, Male, 36-45, Pittsburgh, Consulting

bad idea. you will be risking your health by putting that much strain on your body.

- Response by tonsofsun57, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Tampa, Body Work

i agree with yoyomojo,

recommended to lose 2 lbs / week. Your results will be maximised and you'll see a drastic difference within the first few weeks, providing you eat healthy and train hard.

You can only try, Good Luck fella!

- Response by lld0ntlllhat3ell, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 26-28, Celebrity

Possible but not completely safe nor will it be long term. It is usually suggested that you lose weight slowly but steady I lose 40 lbs in about 6 to 7 months with the Bob Greene diet

- Response by schante78, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, Columbus, Technical