When im with my boyfriend he hides his text messages
Dating / 5:27 PM - Monday March 23, 2009

when im with my boyfriend he hides his text messages

when im sitting like right next to my boyfriend and he is texting people he always turns his phone so i cant read it. i know it may seem nosy trying to look at what he is texting but i dont ever hide my texts from him! so what is he hideing from me?

- Asked by An Alternative Girl, Female, 26-28, Salt Lake City

hhhhmmmm...people who have nothing to hide...hide nothing!!..sounds like he is communicating with "someone" he doesnt want you to know about..you should try to read his text messages when he is asleep or in the shower..

- Response by laxgirl, A Sportif, Female, 36-45, Baltimore, Therapist

Why do you think he is??? Maybe he just wants his privacy...maybe he is hiding something. Its hard to say.

- Response by 1sassychic, A Married Girl, Female, 36-45, Student

How the heck are we suppose to know what he is texting?

If he is PURPOSELY hiding things from you...and it is making you feel this way...then he is being deceitful. And defintiely signs of lack of communication...and lack of trust...and just overall not healthy. I sure the heck wouldn't put up with that shit....No disrespecting me that is for dang sure!

- Response by divatoonami, A Trendsetter, Female, 36-45, Administrative

Well, I'm from the olden days -- back when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

I know texting is a new fangled gadget, but here's how I look at it.

Remember when whispering around other people was rude? Well, I put texting into this category. If you are with people -- you should be WITH THEM. Turn off the cell phone. Don't read and respond to texts.

When you are no longer enjoying the company of other people, answer your cell phone and respond to your texts.

Just seems like common courtesty to me.

Some one look up Miss Manners on this one!

I don't like people seeing what I text, and neither do I like people listening to my phone conversations. It's nothing about wanting to hide something, I just don't feel comfortable with it. That's all. There's no magic to it or anything, I just don't like people outside of my current conversation overhearing everything.

Don't read too much into this. You aren't around when he's talking to his buddies all the time either, so you don't really need to know what he's texting about.
The thing that struck me here is, that he's actually sending text messages while he's with you. I don't particularly find this well mannered. I think while he's with you, he shouldn't really be checking his phone all the time, doesn't exactly show a lot of interest in you now, does it?

- Response by rockhopper, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 29-35, Zurich, Who Cares?

Could be nothing -- maybe he just likes his privacy. This might be a boundary he's drawing.

Try asking him nicely/teasingly and try to gauge his reaction.

- Response by jblonde711, A Father Figure, Male, 36-45, Salt Lake City, Administrative

umm i guess some guys just like their personal space, and if you are always leaning over their shoulder like your suspicious, that may make them a little annoyed. But just ask him about it, and if you get the impression that he IS hiding something, tell him to let you read his messages before he deletes them, and if there isnt anything on there, then you wont be suspicious for no reason again.,

- Response by shaydakota, An Alternative Girl, Female, 22-25, Salt Lake City

See, I am going through the same thing with my bf. And we are suppose to be getting married, but he is very secretive with his phone and if I ask him to let me see his messages or pictures or anything pertaining to his phone, he says he wishes I trusted him like he trust me and he tries to make me feel bad. But I let him look at my phone anytime he wants. But he says its mistrust on my part to question him about his phone.

- Response by A Sweet Sarah, Female, 46-55, Charlotte