Please help, my toddler is torturing me!!
Family & Parenting / 9:09 AM - Monday March 23, 2009

How do you punish a 2 year old that puts himself in time out?

This age has brought on alot of bad behavior, hes suddenly defiant, he hits and does things that he knows he isnt supposed to do, just to see how i react. And the way i react is to put him in time out and explain to him why what he did was wrong.
Well, now that he puts himself in time out...what do i do?

I really need more stars!! Its nice to know that I'm not the only parent with a terrible 2 year old, seeing him act like that makes me feel like I am doing something terribly wrong! I am going to switch his time out spot and start taking away toys and treats just to mix it up a bit. Hopefully that will help, Thanks guys!!

- Asked by brisbay, A Cool Mom, Female, 26-28, Administrative

LOL I can totally relate...As a mother of 3 yr old twins I know the trials of having toddlers. First understand this is a phase he is going through (I had a biting epidemic at age 2) and he will eventually grow out of it. I'm not sure if something has changed at home or with daycare, but that could be part of the problem. I notice a lot of acting out and testing once the kids lost their father and brother and had to go to daycare so I could go back to work. It was almost like they were acting out to get attention from me. So I started spending more exclusive time with them and established a new routine with them. It helped make things a little better.

Timeout never really worked for my twins so one tactic I have taken with my kids is to start taking away a favorite toy for a certain period of time. I also praise them for any good behaviors or choices they make which also helps. Just remember consistency and follow through will help reinforce that there are consequences for behavior.

Good luck :)

- Response by punkylz, A Cool Mom, Female, 36-45, Internet / New Media

Don't allow him to put himself on time out. That's an act of defiance. Remove him from the place he places himself and put him in a different place on time out.

- Response by pizzaman, A Father Figure, Male, 66 or older

LOL how funny yet cute! There really is a thing called terrible twos! At least he is seeing/knowing that he is doing wrong! The key word is, "seeing how you react" and that is very important! It takes a lot of love and understanding at this age. I am on the other hand thinking he is seeing this as a game. Maybe tell him he will have to take a nap if he acts ugly. Sounds as though he is bored and needs more to occupy his time or he is seeking more one on one time from you! He is just at the age where he is exploring what is going on around him, his little brain is like a computer and whatever you put in is what will stay with him forever so remember to always put in the best data possible! If you loose it and scream thats how he will react to things! You sound like a great MOM, just continue to love him, he will outgrow this phase, I know you want to go sit in time out yourself sometimes lol! Good Luck Mom he will be fine, its just us, the parent that goes nuts!

- Response by txscorpian, A Creative, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

They're not called the "Terrible Twos" for nothing, you know ;)

Leave him in time-out.

"...what do i do? "

;~) Giggle to yourself when he puts himself there, take a vallium and wait for the terrible 2 to pass..... sounds like youre doing a great job so far.

I would add some kind of additional "punishment" ... I am thinking, whatever vegetable he doesn't like, require him to eat it AND finish the serving before he is allowed to leave his 'time out' area.
I don't think anybody would have a problem with you ensuring your child eats nutritiounal food? ;)

- Response by andrewj5267, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Miami, Teaching

i would just ignore him when he puts himself in time out. he's just trying to get a rise from u and ur attention, testing his abilities to get away with stuff. its good that he's putting himself in timeout cause that at least shows he knows what he's done was wrong. don't let him get a rise out of u, then u just taught him that that will always get ur attention. when he's done with his timeout, make sure he apoligizes to u for what's done.

- Response by nicky711, A Thinker, Female, 36-45

I have a 2 yr old grandaughter who is a darling lovely child but she is a busy child and has gotten into the habit of screaming at the top of her lungs when she doesn't get her way. She has recently taken to a fake attempt to bite when you try to correct her during a screaming fit. She thinks time out is funny and will get up soon as you put her down.
I have tried to scold her to make her understand that this is unacceptable behavior. Its my hope that she will out grow some of this behavior and with proper dicipline learn to behave. I think a lot of it comes from just being a tottler and learning what the boundries are and what they can get away with.

- Response by shyguy63, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Other Profession