Do men only try to befriend women who are attractive to them?
Friendship / 3:37 PM - Friday March 20, 2009

I heard one man admit that all of his female friends are attractive because he only attempts to befriend women he finds attractive, not on purpose but he just is more willing to get to know pretty women and tends to ignore women he finds unattractive. I just want to know how common that is with men. Men, are you only interested in becoming friends with attractive women? You can be honest; I won't give you a low rating for your answer!

- Asked by cadence, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Consulting

most of the time that is the case...or they could be old friends that have known each other for years...but its usually the first option.

- Response by ellyt88, A Thinker, Female, 26-28

Yes I think that's true. We are visual beings and no man is going to be friends with an ugly woman voluntarily unless they're related. It's not on purpose though.

- Response by rickstevens, A Couch Potato, Male, 29-35

Its nice to have a stable of back up canidates. :)

I think this is true for most - but not all - men. Especially for men over 30 though. The younger generations don't think the same way and are more willing to bend "rules" and befriend women for friendship alone. Just to get a new perspective and be able to get a woman's point of view on things. But for most older men this is a foreign concept. They befriend women because they think that there might be a chance that the friendship could evolve into a relationship or at least some casual sex. Or possibly if she has work connections that he might benefit from. In which case he would still probably flirt with her. Some men might befriend women for the sole reason of boasting his ego. He wants a fan club. Women do the same thing. And of course there are men who befriend women for other reasons such as common interests, but they are a minority I believe. Younger men are different though. They don't see things in black and white the same way.

I'm not a man but I can tell you the answer is yes and that is because men are so shallow itleast most men are specially the young ones.

- Response by A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Home Maker

Usually happens that way. If im attracted then Ima try and meet the women and go from there.
If I don't find her attractive then why would I talk to her?

Now attractiveness is based on looks and mental. I talk to nearly anyone so I try not to judge but if a women is just plain stupid my mind is gona shut down and tell me to get the hell out of there.

- Response by hockeykid666, A Guy Critical, Male, 26-28, Toronto, Student