What does it mean when a guy say he loves you but not in love with you?
Dating / 12:24 PM - Friday March 20, 2009

My boyfriend told me that he loves me but he's not in love with me, so everytime he tells me he loves me I don't respond or i would say I don't believe you and that makes him mad.He says when he tells me he loves me it's the same thing so i'm confused.

- Asked by cosmochick28, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

i used to think the same thing, but when u think about it love means theyre really close to you like the way you would love a friend or family member, obviuosly he doesnt think of u as a friend but he loves you all the same, and being in love with someone is when its really serious, so hes basiccly saying hes at the point where its getting really seriuos but hes not quite there yet, dont worry about it, and if you love him to say it back, lifes to short to not say what how you feel. xXx

- Response by moi1616, A Creative, Female, 22-25, London, Retail

He loves you like a friend, but not as a lover. That what it means.

- Response by jenjenmcmorris, A Married Girl, Female, 26-28, Home Maker

It means he loves you as a friend, wants the best for you but doesn't think it will be a long term deal. And it possible that he really doesn't think he is in love with you right now and that it could grow to be more. One thing though, don't count on it changing. My brother has a woman he used to date who he loves as a friend and he has a woman he is in love with. The one he used to date wants him back and doesn't understand the love he has for her isn't the marriage kind. There is a difference as I am sure you know. If it were me I would ask him what he sees for your future. If he says friendship then I wouldn't count on more. If he says forever someday then I'd see what happens. The fact that he often tells you he loves you is a good sign in my book because although we love our friends we don't seem to tell them that often. Good luck with this and try to get him to tell exactly what he means so you won't have to be in limbo wondering.

- Response by tootcat, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Retired

All longterm relationships go through ups and downs, you are not always in love with your s/o but that doesn't mean you do not love them.
I do not know how long you have been in this relationship, reguardless I would be alittle hurt and definately suspicious if I were on your end of that comment.
Either work on getting back "in love" or prepare to move on.

- Response by jerrys1, A Life of the Party, Female, 36-45, Self-Employed

Same as you "love" your parents or siblings or best friends.

Seriously, you're in your 30s, and you don't know the difference between loving someone, and being in-love with them?

He's just winding you up.

...:)

What do you care? You're talking to your ex when your bf isn't around! :/

- Response by twocents47, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

He's not attracted to you emotionally or intellectually.

- Response by eyeintheskye, A Career Woman, Female, 46-55, Artist / Musician / Writer