"I'm not good [enough] for you." What does this mean?
Dating / 3:39 AM - Friday March 20, 2009

Is it some kind of a lame line/a "polite" way of turning you down, and he's really not just that into you; or does (could) it mean that the person actually likes you, thinks you're great, but knows that he/she is really no good for you?

What do you think? How can you tell?

- Asked by bluefrog101, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 29-35, Artist / Musician / Writer

I think "I'm not good enough for you" is both a way to turn someone down AND means that the person feels some sort of guilt knowing that you are more interested in them then they had led you to believe they are interested in you. I think when someone says this, ultimately, it does not matter where it comes from, only that they believe it and that seems like a good enough reason to accept their declaration and find someone who is "good enough"!

- Response by lasirenamorena, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, Executive

It's a kiss of statement!

- Response by luvshooters, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65

the statement might sound innocent but what i know is that that is just a way of turning you down politely i guess,because if he is not good for you you are the one who should say it, why did he get involved with you at the first place if he knows that he is not good for you,i don't buy that statement

- Response by dontcare87, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Johannesburg

It's a way some people use to assuage guilt during the process of dumping someone. And in so many ways...they are being truthful, and don't EVEN know it.

- Response by drumboi2, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65

I had a guy I was seeing say that, but it was true...he didn't have the time to put himself into a full time relationship. He was raising 3 children all alone and one of them was a special needs child that required a lot of attention. When he said that, I knew he was into me and wanted more, but felt it wasnt fair to ask me to settle for less than what I deserved. We are still friends today, and he's still single!!

- Response by Posty14, A Life of the Party, Female, 36-45, Artist / Musician / Writer

Actually I think it is a polite rejection but a compliment too. I know a girl I've said this to and I meant it that way. I didn't want to have a relationship with her but I got to know her and found she was a great girl. She was nice and always sent me gifts on my birthday and Christmas until of course I told her she was too good. I guess what I meant was that the attention she gave me was great but it should have been directed towards a guy who would appreciate it more.

- Response by zslider, A Creative, Male, 29-35, Vancouver, Technical