Is it okay for a woman to hit a man?
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 5:02 PM - Thursday March 19, 2009

Is it okay for a woman to hit a man?

Seriously, what are your thoughts on it?

Can a woman slap a man when he proposes obscene things to her?

Or how about like in the movies when a woman gets left at the alter and she punches the groom for doing it?

Do you think there are some situations when such behavior is justified?

- Asked by quikslvr, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, Washington, DC, Lawyer

No violence in any way is OK maybe back in the day with how they did in those movies but reality now is nope not acceptable. Throwing remotes however like I have done in the past is just fine as long as it doesen't hit the target lol

- Response by melodyalise, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Salt Lake City, Managerial

Yes. Yes...and Yes! LOL

- Response by mscachick, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Minneapolis, Who Cares?

I really don't think there is any justification for a woman hitting a man unless it's in self defense.

- Response by majicou, A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?

nope..I've never been a fan of that kind of stuff. Always much better choices and ways to handle any situation than to hit!!

- Response by Posty14, A Life of the Party, Female, 36-45, Artist / Musician / Writer

It is NOT OK for a human being to hit another human being, unless it is self defense.

Women who hit men are just as deplorable as men. Actually, they are worse because most men will refuse to defend themselves against a woman. Therefore, they are hitting someone who is defenseless.

Physical violence is never ok unless you are fending off an attacker...aka...self-d efense.

- Response by mistyjean, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Self-Employed

Of course not.

It can happen sometimes, but I don't think it's justified. I think women just have this "I can do it if I want to, but he can't touch me" attitude that isn't cool, and also shaped by the media.

Ah!

- Response by overdose69, An Alternative Girl, Female, 22-25, Other Profession

No. I think if you're going to hit, expect to get hit back. The only time it's OK to hit is in self-defense. For instance, if a guy was to grab a woman's arm in order to stop her from walking away, it's OK to slap his face or kick him in the junk, IMO.

yes but if she just beats him for no reason then no it all depend on the situation

- Response by dwn2ridehtchck1, A Life of the Party, Female, 22-25, Celebrity

Only when life and/or limb of yourself or your loved ones is in imminent danger.... do I understand physical violence.

- Response by king313, An Engaged Guy, Male, 29-35, Detroit, Civil Service

It is never OK touse violence.

A woman hitting a man is no better than a man hitting a woman...how having said that, there are a few situations on both sides where that sort of thing is definitely justified. A man being attacked by a woman definitely has a right to defend himself, and the same goes for women.

Haha, a slap really isn't anything...most of us can laugh that one away, so if a woman slaps some guy for saying obscene shit, well whatever. But if we're going to call that okay, then what if a man slaps a woman for the same sort of thing?

I'm tired of bullshit double standards.

- Response by drunkatnoon, A Rebel, Male, 29-35, Who Cares?

No one should hit anyone else. Let's all grow up and control our anger.

- Response by dewey1978, A Life of the Party, Female, 29-35, Other Profession

No one should ever hit....only justified time for me would be in self defense...

Hey! It is NOT okay for a man to hit a woman...or a woman to hit a man!

Never...nope....

- Response by divatoonami, A Trendsetter, Female, 36-45, Administrative

In a word: No

If she DOES hit, can the man hit back?, again: No

Disclaimer: I believe that any amount of force is acceptable to stop anyone from hurting someone smaller, weaker or who is out-numbered.

- Response by nameacarl, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, Who Cares?, Oostende, Self-Employed

A guy (my boyf's "mate") pissed on him, then knowingly let me take him home to my bed where he slept, fully clothed.

He deserved it when he grinned as he bragged about it.

- Response by alex86, A Hippie Chick, Female, 26-28

Never - physical violence is never an answer

- Response by smearpap, A Jock, Male, 36-45

NO, it is NOT OK for a woman to hit a man, just like it is not OK for a man to hit a woman - at least with a violent intent. Sometimes a guy friend and I might playfully "punch" each other, but it's obviously not meant to hurt, it's just meant as play.

I do think, if a man proposes something obscene to a woman and she slaps him, he should not slap her back. but I don't think the woman is in the right - she should not have slapped him in the first place... she should have given him an icy stare and walked away from him.

- Response by curvysmartgirl, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Dallas, Artist / Musician / Writer

okay. lets get one thing straight.
abuse is NEVER okay.

i can see if you man disrespects you on a veryyy high level for a slap across his face, hey maybe he needed it. most men do.

a punch? think that might be going to far.

it wouldnt be right for a guy to punch his gf if she elft him for another guy would it?
no.

why be sexest about thee thing.

but heres one thing. 85% of abuse between couples are the MEN beating on thee women. Only 15% is thee women beating thee man.

either way. its wrong.

- Response by beautifuldee, A Trendsetter, Female, 22-25, Who Cares?

Sure,why not? I like a good slap in the mouth for no reason at all...from an attractive female. of course.

- Response by scumpig45, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Las Vegas, Celebrity

I don't think violence is ever justified, unless of course it's in self-defense. There are more appropriate ways for a person to express their displeasure with someone or a situation. It used to be that if a man acted inappropriate towards towards a woman, she could slap him - nowadays, she's liable to get beat up or killed for this type of behavior.

If a woman can hit a man, then a man can hit a woman. So neither should hit anybody.

- Response by howjm, A Guy Critical, Male, 29-35, Managerial

Don't hit them... pepper spray works better.

- Response by munsme, A Couch Potato, Male, 29-35

If it's not right for a man to hit a woman then why would it be ok for a woman to hit a man? there certainly seems to be a double standard here.

- Response by usarmy24id, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 36-45, Celebrity

Fact of the matter is that men are generally stronger than women. Men can do more damage than women.

No, it's not ok for a woman to hit a man (or at least any more ok than it is for a man to hit a woman) so hard that he gets a shiner or something.

However, playful slapping is ok imo. If you girlfriend hits you playfully and you make a big deal out of it, you'll look like an ass. My girlfriend "hits" me behind closed doors and it doesn't hurt a bit, so I just laugh at her. But if she hits me in public (and embarrasses me) I'll very loudly say "woman, don't hit me in front of people" and I'll grab her wrist and embarrass her back.

- Response by manfromsweden, A Guy Critical, Male, 26-28, San Jose, Who Cares?

It's OK under the same conditions that it's OK for a man to hit a woman. 99.9% of the time, it's not.

- Response by angelicaam, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 36-45

I know you never hit a Woman but my x hit me a lot and IF You are the man you will not hit her
Sal

- Response by podagoo, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Farming

No it's not. I would never hit a man,i'm not giving them an excuse to hit me. And before she does hit him she should remember that some people have a involuntary response to someone hitting them which is to hit back. They'll do it before they can even stop themselves. Not too smart to hit them now is it?

A slap is definitely different from a punch. We tend to accept women hitting men more, because well lets face it, the majority of women cant hit nearly as hard as a man. And most men aren't as fragile as a women. If a man tells a woman he cheated on her, and she slaps him, then so be it. If a women tells and man she cheated and he (open hand) slaps her, so be it. When punching is involved its different, thats illegal and is considered abuse. Slapping is on a fine line of abuse and shouldnt be considered 'ok' to be doing on a regular basis, only in extreme situations is it acceptable. Justification definitely depends on he situation. But in no instance is it ok for a someone to punch someone else in the eyes of the law.

- Response by experienced123, A Creative, Female, 26-28, Administrative

Not legally.

- Response by 1bigstick4u, A Life of the Party, Male, 29-35, Law Enforcement

Only in self-defense...but that goes for either gender. Violence isn't okay for anyone.

- Response by veraxaudeo, A Player, Female, 26-28, Detroit, Student

I think that a woman has the right to hit a man in self defense.

- Response by geisha1017, A Creative, Female, 29-35, Self-Employed

Violence begets Violence.

- Response by voodoo68, A Hippie Chick, Female, 46-55, Medical / Dental

Yes...sometimes you need to slap him to the bitch in his place.

- Response by baybreeze69, A Career Woman, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

It is never okay for anyone to hit another person. Society has shown us that women tend to hit men in a playful manner, or just to knock some sense into him when he does something stupid or makes them mad. But it is assumed that they do not really hurt the man since men are strong. However, If a woman is intentionally trying to injure a man it should definitely be considered physical abuse or assault. If a woman hits a man and he does not want her to (even if it's playful). The man should express his concern and the hitting should stop. Women can be very emotional but words can express this even actions that do not involve violence.

- Response by hammy6, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 29-35, Tampa

I don't hit anyone unless some punk tries to put their hands on me. Then all bets are off.

- Response by myrtletyrtle, A Creative, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

I do not condone violence unless it is necessary. (A robber is in your house and threatens you, you shoot his sorry ass. That type of thing.)

If a man were to propose obscene things to me, I'd let him deal with my husband and brother.

If a man left me at the alter, I'd get on my knees and offer an eternal thankfulness that I dodged a bullet.

No double standard here. Women shouldn't hit men and men shouldn't hit women.

- Response by 2funny, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55, Financial / Banking

In most places, hitting someone, other than in self-defence or by mutual agreement, is considered a criminal act so, in that sense, it is not "okay".

There are situations where it's understandable and may even be "justified" but I'd, probably, still hit her back.

- Response by An Intellectual Guy, Male, 56-65

I've been known to throw a few punches. Watch out.

- Response by ashmcawesome, An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35

If you try it, better make sure there is a man or men that have your back. Insults are no legal justification for violence, though I can think of several comments that would deserve a slap.
Still could mean minimal jail time for assault, or a violent retaliation without anyone helping. If you are ready for either outcome, then go for it.

- Response by wolverinesegg, A Career Man, Male, 46-55, Science / Engineering

No its not ok for women to hit men. They would scream bloody murder if a man were to hit them. Its not ok for any violence between men and women. For instance, a woman hit me from behind today in my kidneys when i wasnt looking. I hadent even said anything to her, she is my coworker. If a man had done that I would have busted out his teeth. But because its a woman I cant say anything. Maybe if men started pressing charges they might start thinking different. Im a fairly big guy and no whimp but this is not right. I have never said or done any obscene comments to women still they think this behavior is ok.

- Response by A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Los Angeles, Medical / Dental