If you mother is hispanic and your father is black, what does that make you?
Race, Religion & Politics / 2:30 PM - Monday March 16, 2009

if you mother is hispanic and your father is black, what does that make you?

just wanna know. a lot of people say that you are what your mother is.

i hate that i could only give three stars! all responses were great. thank you all for taking the time to answer. you all are the bomb!!!!! HAPPY ST. PATRICKS DAY.

- Asked by 1126zamot, An Alternative Girl, Female, 36-45, Atlanta, Administrative

Beautiful.

- Response by ipeiaieido, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Columbus, Financial / Banking

I know a kid whose mother is black and is dad is Mexican.
He calls himself Blaxican and seems pretty proud of it...

- Response by pelaos, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Milwaukee, Other Profession

As far as this society goes, one drop of black blood makes you black. but screw society. You are who you are, and you are not obligated to "choose a side and stick with it". That makes you you, not a ethnicity or a color, but a person.

- Response by sanguinenight, An Alternative Girl, Female, 22-25, Student

You're beautiful. As a Black woman who is proud to be so, I would have you say you are Black. But as a woman who is proud to be so, I believe you have the right to be whoever you want, the most important thing to me is that you be saved and love Jesus. Both your Black heritage and your Hispanic heritage bears out strong Christian beliefs. So grab that part of your bloodlines and live!

- Response by Female, 56-65

I'm pretty sure you're 1/2 black and 1/2 hispanic.

Most women look like their mothers, but we all have half of each parents' genes, so you can't be one or the other.

I hope this isn't something else that you're being judged on.

:-)

- Response by jenjenmcmorris, A Married Girl, Female, 26-28, Home Maker

that makes you biracial and since those races are hispanic and black, that also makes you two steps behind everyone else. you are already at a disadvantage being biracial so those people have to work harder just to keep up with everyone else. sorry but thats the truth.

- Response by A Career Woman, Female, Who Cares?

First you are an American in my book. Having parents of two different races makes you biracial and from the picture looks like you got the best of both worlds. When you get right down to it we are all more of a Heinz 57 than not. We all have many different bloodlines in our pasts and most of us don't know what all of them are. So to me, we are Americans. In the past, in the south, any black blood in you at all meant you were black. But what does it matter what race you are other than to teach your kids their heritage? In your case I would teach my kids both because it is important to know where you come from. I think we're all people first and don't care what color a person is, but do care what kind of person that person is. I'm from the south but don't agree with the old stereotypes.

- Response by tootcat, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Retired

Hispanic being an ethnicity and black a race, at least by government definitions, you can be both black and Hispanic, depend on what race your mother was - If Caucasian, then by government definitions you are a multi-racial Hispanic.

- Response by twotwenty, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55

You're half black and half hispanic.

My kids are half Italian and half Korean, and 100% American -- which they embrace -- they love it when I tell them that.

P.S. That's only true if you're Jewish (i.e., you're only considered Jewish if your mother is).

- Response by carinabay, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55, Lawyer

Biracial.
The "You are what your mother is" only comes from when a mom isn't quite sure or honest about which guy was the actual daddy.
Was already semi common, but seems to be more common as time goes by.

yeah a couple of good guys I know have black mothers and Peurto Rican fathers...I don't know what to consider it. Why not just call it half of each?

- Response by drunkatnoon, A Rebel, Male, 29-35, Who Cares?

biracial...this is not for you but i get sick of people only claiming one race when they are two. I'm white and i'm having a daughter with a black man. I would be hurt if my daughter only claimed her father's race and not mine. It would make me feel like she was ashamed of me or something. You should claim both and be proud of both!!!

Human.

- Response by milfinmpls, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Minneapolis, Who Cares?

human

- Response by lyon, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Boston, Self-Employed

It should make you proud that your parents weren't racist.
And look what a gorgeous girl their love produced!

- Response by justapuss, Female, 46-55, Athens, Self-Employed

You have a beautiful complexion and you are a human being! Just like the rest of us. WE are ALL made of blood, skin, muscle, bone. That is WHAT made us all EQUAL! ~~~~~~~~~~~

- Response by katep51, Female, 56-65, Medical / Dental

IS this a riddle or an actual question?
If it's a riddle: a coco bean
If it's a real question: I plead the 5th

- Response by An Engaged Girl, Female, 22-25, Student

The blood comes from the father,all the time,,everytime!

You are black/hispanic!Thats who you are ..be proud of it!

- Response by randolph, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 56-65, Artist / Musician / Writer

a human

- Response by williamcrate23, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 56-65, Celebrity

u are biracial..... but u are also what u chose to identify with. but if u tend to be darker u may get that uare black....if u are more olive in complexion u may get hispanic. it just depends

AMERICAN...

- Response by dooter, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65

To the Hispanic culture, your blood line comes from your mother, your name from your father. That is why a masculine name includes a reference to the mother. Jesus Chavez Bogarin de Jimenez gives reference to the maternal.

Beyond that you are biracial and beautiful.. Welcome to being human... Thankfully we don't name people like they name dogs... Still laughing over Labradoodle...

- Response by siouxzen, A Career Woman, Female, Who Cares?, Guadalajara, Self-Employed

It depends on the geography, the people and the culture. Barack Obama's mother was White, but society treated as Black. In some countries, especially European countries, it was the father's heritage that the child took. In Judeism, it's the mother who determines whether the child is Jewish.

I grew up in a time when a person was Black if they had any Black characteristics. My parents grew up at a time when the "one drop of Black blood" determined a person's access to privileged society.

Today, I don't think it matters what you call yourself if you come from a mixed race family. Why couldn't you just be a hybrid, because you are. So if someone ask you if you're Black, you can say yes. The same can be true if someone asked you if you were hispanic. Many in the Caribbean islands are of mixed heritage. They call themselves Caribbeans.

I have cousins who's father is Black and mother is German. They look White, and floated through White society easily. Once when my cousin referred to one of us darker relatives as niggers, his father swatted him in his mouth and told him that he was just as much Black as we were. What I am saying is that you can just as easily embrace all of heritage instead of being exclusive.

- Response by rhunt0210, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Other Profession

I would say that makes you a human being.

You are what you are...and if that is you in the pic, you could be a beautiful girl from almost any country in the world.

- Response by lovelight, A Creative, Female, 66 or older, Los Angeles, Artist / Musician / Writer

blaxican and be proud ur beautiful

- Response by shaylazen, A Career Woman, Female, 22-25, Los Angeles, Who Cares?

- Response by Female, 56-65, Who Cares?

I am from honduras my bf is,black my baby is going to be a,gourgeus mix black he or she aint going to be black or honduran is going to be both

- Response by Female, 26-28

And alot people say if you got a little bit of black in you then you are black.

- Response by handsomedetroitguy, A Father Figure, Male, 36-45, Detroit, Political / Government

you're black

- Response by butterflyz, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Student

mixed race....

- Response by momharleyxl, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55, Los Angeles, Self-Employed