Why are women all so afraid to COMMIT?
Dating / 11:17 AM - Monday March 16, 2009

Why are women all so afraid to COMMIT?

I was just messing with all of you, because of the way we get stereotyped. The biggest hangup ANYone will have with (what we casually) call "commitment" is the loss of self. Young people, and men especially, lack a well-deleoped sense-of-self. As soon as we interact seriously with another person, we make changes and compromises. If we can do that without giving away our personal boundaries, without making ourselves vulnerable, we can have a healthy interaction. "Nice Guys" famously are unable to do this. There's no shortage of young women who are likewise vulnerable; if anything, there are more. Women often complain about not being able to get their men to "open up" and express their "feelings". The sad fact is, when many men look inside themselves for answers to their feelings, they get no response. They are numb, from the neck to their waist. With so little "self" to show, why should we be surprised when a person cringes at the prospect of entering a relationship? Creepyolderguys and gals get called "set in our ways", like it's a bad thing. It's not-- it just means we know ourselves, and we know what we want and like. Older people are far less frightened of the "C-word".

- Asked by chesterdad, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 56-65, San Francisco

Women should be afraid to commit just as much as men. :p

- Response by twocents47, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

Go with your gut, its your sixth sense..

- Response by earthangell, A Thinker, Female, 36-45

Not all of us are.

Everyone is different.

And most people aren't "ready" to commit at a young age anyway, they just usually think they are. At least this girl knows she's not really ready.

- Response by jenjenmcmorris, A Married Girl, Female, 26-28, Home Maker

Not all women are...only the ones that are not that into you...

because there are so many men available and very few women
they want to make the best deal
trust me

- Response by vank356, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65, Technical

Oddly enough, I've never in my entire life met a woman who was afraid to commit.

Hell I've never even heard RUMOR of a woman who is afraid to commit.

- Response by billy498, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Who Cares?

being afraid comes from being alone and independent for a very long time, then whent he word "commitement' comes up most of us freak out.

- Response by dileila, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

Women want to commit. Men don't.

- Response by A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?

Chesterdad I think its because women now can have better career choices than just being a housewife. On the same note, guys have been the ones who usually had the problem of committing to a woman and so consequentially some women decide that its not in their best interest as well.

- Response by A Creative, Female, 29-35

I think women are afraid to commit because there is so much cheating going on that we don't want to put our time and effort to find out we weren't enough. That's just one reason. Every woman has there own reasoning.

Creative, female: Let him go. If you two are friends then he'll understand. If he doesn't then he's not that good of a friend. Why take away his time of finding someone who might really care for him in the way you can't give him. Follow your intuition and do what's best for you. If you keep him on you'd only prelonging the inevitable.

- Response by acmarquez7111, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

Women are not afraid to committ, in today's days we are just more careful because of past experiences. We no longer need a man, so when we committ he must be the perfect one for our desires.

- Response by scorpiowoman, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55

It's horrible to admit, but I'm so scared of commitment. It's like I want it so badly, but at the same time it's hard to actually find someone to truly trust.
Also, there's always the worry of "what if" and questions like "if this is the wrong person" or "what if he abandons me in the long run." Always a worry. Plus, it's like I want to live my life and have fun, but I want someone loyal to have fun with. I didn't think it was asking too much but from all the guys I've met, it seems I am.
I know that if I found someone I liked/loved enough, guaranteed I could be 100% loyal.

- Response by kaydarliing, A Thinker, Female, 22-25, Seattle

It's not usually the woman that are soo afraid of committing. Men think that once you commit, you lose you own way of life.

IT IS THE WOMEN TODAY THAT DON'T WANT TO COMMIT TO MEN ANYMORE. WHY IS THAT? WITH THAT SHIT DON'T STINK OF AN ATTITUDE, THAT THEY NOW SEEM TO HAVE, JUST MAKES IT A LOT HARDER FOR US MEN THAT ARE LOOKING TO MEET THEM.

- Response by frankcrate23, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65

it is just too bad that the women of today can't be like the women in the past. it was without a doubt much easier meeting women yeas ago, unlike now. much more woman and men were VERY COMMITTED to one another, and really looking to settle down and have a FAMILY. today the women are so VERY NASTY, and it is really VERY HARD for us STRAIGHT MEN that are seriously looking to meet a GOOD WOMAN NOW, most of the DIVORCES today are caused by the women. women like to CHEAT much more than men, and they just don't want to be COMMITTED anymore. i do have to say, it is certainly the women that are to BLAME today, not us men.

- Response by A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65

i am a man that certainly can COMMIT to just one woman, but with so many women these days that are not really looking to COMMIT at all. they seem to have a need to be with so many men at one time, instead of just being with ONLY ONE MAN.